Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving lists / NI / Schools / Health advise needed

Moving lists / NI / Schools / Health advise needed

Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

soontobeingalicia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving lists / NI / Schools / Health advise needed

With the move out date fast approaching Aug 2010 I have mainly been concentrating on getting my house sorted however the more I now think about all the other things there is left to do I think I had better get my socks on !!!! I have been on the web looking for simple task lists which will help me remember all the things that I have to do but what I find is fragmented. Any suggestions on sites or a good book.

Also what happens with my NI contributions that I have been paying will I get a state pension from the UK (am only 30). We also currently we receive a nominal amount of child benefit for my 2 sons will this stop or could I claim in Spain? Any advice on good publications or web site will be much appriciated.

Also (last one I promise) I plan to take 6 months of work to get settled in with my family. The oldest son (3 yrs) will be starting school in Sept 2010 I have visited the local school and they seem very relaxed about the whole thing. If I am not working and contributing to the social security system will we be entitled to free schooling and health care?

Any advise as always much appriciated.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:02 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving lists / NI / Schools / Health advise needed

Originally Posted by soontobeingalicia
With the move out date fast approaching Aug 2010 I have mainly been concentrating on getting my house sorted however the more I now think about all the other things there is left to do I think I had better get my socks on !!!! I have been on the web looking for simple task lists which will help me remember all the things that I have to do but what I find is fragmented. Any suggestions on sites or a good book.

Also what happens with my NI contributions that I have been paying will I get a state pension from the UK (am only 30). We also currently we receive a nominal amount of child benefit for my 2 sons will this stop or could I claim in Spain? Any advice on good publications or web site will be much appriciated.

Also (last one I promise) I plan to take 6 months of work to get settled in with my family. The oldest son (3 yrs) will be starting school in Sept 2010 I have visited the local school and they seem very relaxed about the whole thing. If I am not working and contributing to the social security system will we be entitled to free schooling and health care?

As soon as you stop paying tax/NI in the UK your UK child benefit stops

Your child will be entitled to free school whether or not you are working, but you will not be entitled free healthcare under the spanish system (except with the Ewhatever card you get - I can never remember what that is)
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:29 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
As soon as you stop paying tax/NI in the UK your UK child benefit stops

Your child will be entitled to free school whether or not you are working, but you will not be entitled free healthcare under the spanish system (except with the Ewhatever card you get - I can never remember what that is)
You should be able to get up to two years of free health care via the E106 forms (try getting these done before leaving UK!).

The "Ewhatever card" refered to above is the EHIC card and is ONLY for emergencies! Once you are resident here (live here), then, if your are paying social contributions, you can apply the Spanish equivalent (TSE card). If you are NOT paying these contributions, then you have to go for private health care.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
You should be able to get up to two years of free health care via the E106 forms (try getting these done before leaving UK!).

The "Ewhatever card" refered to above is the EHIC card and is ONLY for emergencies! Once you are resident here (live here), then, if your are paying social contributions, you can apply the Spanish equivalent (TSE card). If you are NOT paying these contributions, then you have to go for private health care.
I meant the E106
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I meant the E106
Read my thread about it.

Ambiguity, according to our accountant, is the essence, so lots of people do fill it out wrong.

We are going to appeal.

Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:30 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Read my thread about it.

Ambiguity, according to our accountant, is the essence, so lots of people do fill it out wrong.

We are going to appeal.

I read that, i would too
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by soontobeingalicia
Also what happens with my NI contributions that I have been paying will I get a state pension from the UK (am only 30).
How many years NI contributions have you paid? As you are only 30.I would imagine about 10 or so? You will need 30 qualifying years for a full UK state pension. In your case, currently, at state retirement age you would receive 10/30th of the state pension. What you need to decide is whether or not you think it worthwhile paying voluntary Class 3 contributions (currently about £600 a year) to pay for the missing years to gain a full 30/30 state pension when you reach 66 (or what ever the age will be by then) - i.e. my wife had paid 24 years and we have decided to pay the missing six years, by direct debit.

For further advice contact:

HM Revenue and Customs
BP1301
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ
or visit their website at: www.hmrc.gov.uk

They were very helpful

Last edited by cymruambyth; Aug 21st 2009 at 8:00 am.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:07 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Or leave it at 10 years and pay into the Spanish one for a better pension plus you will get your UK bit also.