Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Javea - looking for advice

Moving to Javea - looking for advice

Old May 16th 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Javea - looking for advice

Originally Posted by macgirl
>>>I'd like to know the answer to that as I shall not visit if that is the case.

Instead, you can vote and try to change things. Less than a third of expats living in Javea are voting!!!
I'm not an expat but occasionally have trip there when over.
Old May 16th 2011, 4:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lilly!
Nobody mentioned one thing: your child will be teached in Valencian at the state school, not in Spanish.
If you need local shops and restaurants, you should live near the Arenal. Besides, the Arenal state school is the "less" valencianist of all.
Good luck!
they will be taught in both castellano & valenciano -about 50% in each language - except at one primary school in the pueblo (I can never remember what it's called - not Vicente Tena though) which only teaches in valenciano

there are shops & restaurants in all 3 areas of Jávea - I can get everything I want in the port

the bigger supermarkets are actually in the port & the pueblo
Old May 16th 2011, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

macgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa
they will be taught in both castellano & valenciano -about 50% in each language - except at one primary school in the pueblo (I can never remember what it's called - not Vicente Tena though) which only teaches in valenciano

there are shops & restaurants in all 3 areas of Jávea - I can get everything I want in the port

the bigger supermarkets are actually in the port & the pueblo
>>>they will be taught in both castellano & valenciano -about 50% in each language

Not exactly.
There are two choices here in the valencian area:
1) PIP: Programa d'inmersió progresiva (a little of Spanish at the beginning, all valencian at the end, in Secondary)
2) PIV: Programa d'inmersió al valencià. (all in valencian from the beginning)
Old May 16th 2011, 7:10 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

>>>they will be taught in both castellano & valenciano -about 50% in each language

Not exactly.
There are two choices here in the valencian area:
1) PIP: Programa d'inmersió progresiva (a little of Spanish at the beginning, all valencian at the end, in Secondary)
2) PIV: Programa d'inmersió al valencià. (all in valencian from the beginning)
it doesn't always quite work like that - both my girls have been in school in Jávea for 7 years

both came through PIP - younger one is still in PIP - about 60% of everything in castellano & 40% valenciano in primary - castellano, maths, plastica & PE in castellano- music in both & CMedi & valenciano in valenciano - the PIV class in her year does castellano & maths in castellano, music in both & everything else in valenciano - english is taught in castellano for both!!

she'll be in secondary next year - all she'll do in valenciano will be valenciano & maybe music, PE & plastica - that's what my older dd's friends in PIP in secondary do & have done for the past 3 years

older dd in secondary opted to swap to PIV in yr1 secondary - the only thing she does in castellano is castellano!

Last edited by lynnxa; May 16th 2011 at 7:25 pm.
Old May 17th 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

it doesn't always quite work like that - both my girls have been in school in Jávea for 7 years

both came through PIP - younger one is still in PIP - about 60% of everything in castellano & 40% valenciano in primary - castellano, maths, plastica & PE in castellano- music in both & CMedi & valenciano in valenciano - the PIV class in her year does castellano & maths in castellano, music in both & everything else in valenciano - english is taught in castellano for both!!

she'll be in secondary next year - all she'll do in valenciano will be valenciano & maybe music, PE & plastica - that's what my older dd's friends in PIP in secondary do & have done for the past 3 years

older dd in secondary opted to swap to PIV in yr1 secondary - the only thing she does in castellano is castellano!
That's interesting. It must be only in the port and Arenal. The other schools are only valencian.
The Arenal school receives less money than the others because of that. Sad.

I think the "selectividad" (exam to enter University) is all in valencian. And also the University. In fact, the spanish teachers around here doesn't know very well the language (spanish). The studied in valencian, of course.
Old May 17th 2011, 12:20 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

That's interesting. It must be only in the port and Arenal. The other schools are only valencian.
The Arenal school receives less money than the others because of that. Sad.

I think the "selectividad" (exam to enter University) is all in valencian. And also the University. In fact, the spanish teachers around here doesn't know very well the language (spanish). The studied in valencian, of course.
I know for sure that Vicente Tena is pretty much as the Arenal - although they may have more PIV classes than PIP - in the port primary school they surely do

I can imagine that the selectividad for uni in Valencia might well be in Valenciano - but of course they aren't limited to uni in Valencia, are they?

not all the teachers are local, either, so of course they have good castellano
Old May 17th 2011, 12:24 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I know people who have been to the University in Valencia who do not speak a word of Valenciano.

Rosemary
Old May 17th 2011, 6:34 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I know people who have been to the University in Valencia who do not speak a word of Valenciano.

Rosemary
come to think of it, so do I!!

in fact, valenciano as a language is spoken less, the nearer you get to the city!!

I knew an ENT doctor who was brought up in Valencia - I think she went to uni there

she transferred to Ontinyent & had to take valenciano lessons so that she could deal with the locals - couldn't speak a word of the language!!
Old May 17th 2011, 6:39 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

come to think of it, so do I!!

in fact, valenciano as a language is spoken less, the nearer you get to the city!!

I knew an ENT doctor who was brought up in Valencia - I think she went to uni there

she transferred to Ontinyent & had to take valenciano lessons so that she could deal with the locals - couldn't speak a word of the language!!
At one of our big fiestas a few years ago a woman from our town who now lives in Valencia said that she never uses Valencian in Valencia.

When Graham was in hospital there were a lot of the medics and nurses who did not speak Valenciano at all. Those that spoke Valenciano to each other and to many of the patients easily slipped into Castellano when talking to non Valenciano speakers.

Rosemary
Old May 19th 2011, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

valencia40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Take it as a given that if your kids go to school as far down the coast as Javea that they will end up speaking Valencian ahead of Castellano. If not from the school curriculum then from their classmates and friends just to fit in. So there will be double the challenge for them moving what with learning two languages instead of one!! Be careful this doesn´t hold them back in their natural rate of progress/education. Friends of mine moved to Denia with their little girl and had moved up to Valencia within a year to an international school as she didn't settle and had to stay back a year to "catch-up" with her peers. She's doing fine now but quite an experience for an 8yr old. My advice, move to the outskirts of Valencia city where there are more options on schools and the backup of International schools if it doesn't work out for your kids. Also the responses on this forum to Javea being quiet in Winter are to be listened to. Javea is effectively a Spanish resort where people living in Madrid and Valencia have their holiday homes. They only live there the 3 months of the summer and easter-time, the rest of the time it is retirees so again for your kids sakes keep your options broader by moving nearer a bigger city..they'll thank you for it when they are older. Can provide more info about valencia if you require. Good luck.
Old May 19th 2011, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by valencia40
Take it as a given that if your kids go to school as far down the coast as Javea that they will end up speaking Valencian ahead of Castellano. If not from the school curriculum then from their classmates and friends just to fit in. So there will be double the challenge for them moving what with learning two languages instead of one!! Be careful this doesn´t hold them back in their natural rate of progress/education. Friends of mine moved to Denia with their little girl and had moved up to Valencia within a year to an international school as she didn't settle and had to stay back a year to "catch-up" with her peers. She's doing fine now but quite an experience for an 8yr old. My advice, move to the outskirts of Valencia city where there are more options on schools and the backup of International schools if it doesn't work out for your kids. Also the responses on this forum to Javea being quiet in Winter are to be listened to. Javea is effectively a Spanish resort where people living in Madrid and Valencia have their holiday homes. They only live there the 3 months of the summer and easter-time, the rest of the time it is retirees so again for your kids sakes keep your options broader by moving nearer a bigger city..they'll thank you for it when they are older. Can provide more info about valencia if you require. Good luck.
I live in Javea. It's not only a resort for retirees, there are younger people too, most on their 30 or 40, specially now that many people work from home. And there are two international schools here. Three if you count the dutch. ONe of them moved to Benitatchell recently, but it's very close. This place is plenty in the Summer, and you have the beach for yourself in the winter. For me, this is the nicest part of the valencian coast. Still it'is safe, and great for the kids, a bit boring if you come from a big city. The worst is the transport. You don't have a train station and buses are a nightmare. You depend on the car all the time.

But it is true, you have to take into account the languages, plural. For children older than 6, a new language is a new language... Good luck!

Valencia40, which schools in Valencia do you recomend?????
Old May 19th 2011, 4:10 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

my children have been educated in Jávea & both speak Castellano over Valenciano - even though the older one opted to move into the valenciano class in ESO - simply because you get less 'non-spanish' in that class!!

Jávea is never quiet - conversely, to me in winter it's just a normal town - a bit like anytown anywhere - in summer it's a nightmare with all the holidaymakers!!

& it is no way just retirees - yes there are many - but there are enough families with kids here to keep 4 state primary schools & 2 secondary schools full to the gills - not to mention the private spanish & international schools
Old May 19th 2011, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Xabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant futureXabiero has a brilliant future

Also the responses on this forum to Javea being quiet in Winter are to be listened to. Javea is effectively a Spanish resort where people living in Madrid and Valencia have their holiday homes. They only live there the 3 months of the summer and easter-time, the rest of the time it is retirees so again for your kids sakes keep your options broader by moving nearer a bigger city..they'll thank you for it when they are older. Can provide more info about valencia if you require. Good luck.
Hmmm ... I live in Xàbia and it's certainly not the winter Eastbourne that you seem to suggest. It's a working town, people young and old still go out and let their hair down and I've certainly not seen the old town as busy as it has been this past winter.
Old May 19th 2011, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

valencia40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok I'll put my head on the guillontine for this but if Javea has a stated population of 34,000 people (51.3%) of whom are non-Spanish and a summer population of 150,000 people and an ecconomy almost totally based on tourism does this not constitute the very essence of a resort town?
Old May 19th 2011, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Ok I'll put my head on the guillontine for this but if Javea has a stated population of 34,000 people (51.3%) of whom are non-Spanish and a summer population of 150,000 people and an ecconomy almost totally based on tourism does this not constitute the very essence of a resort town?
But you implied that it's a dead town, and that is not true, only almost true...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.