Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Old Mar 14th 2021, 6:25 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 8
dargumin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Hi guys. So I had hoped to make the move to Spain last year pre-Brexit but the whole covid situation meant that was unfeasible for me.
Now I'm wondering exactly what hoops(and in which order) I would have to jump through to get myself in a position where I can legally live and work in Ibiza as a self-employed DJ (That's my job here in UK, and I did work 2 summers in Ibiza in the past). It's probably a long shot but I feel its worth at least giving it a try. Any advice? Thanks.
dargumin is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2021, 7:07 pm
  #2  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 538
agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Originally Posted by dargumin
Hi guys. So I had hoped to make the move to Spain last year pre-Brexit but the whole covid situation meant that was unfeasible for me.
Now I'm wondering exactly what hoops(and in which order) I would have to jump through to get myself in a position where I can legally live and work in Ibiza as a self-employed DJ (That's my job here in UK, and I did work 2 summers in Ibiza in the past). It's probably a long shot but I feel its worth at least giving it a try. Any advice? Thanks.
Probably not a good idea, but good luck...

PS: Are you related to any bus drivers?
agree_to_disagree is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2021, 7:21 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 8
dargumin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Probably not a good idea, but good luck...

PS: Are you related to any bus drivers?
I'm related to a private-hire mini bus driver... though I'm not sure what makes you ask? I'd be moving alone.

Bad idea in what respect? The bars and clubs of San Antonio are always likely to prefer a DJ with very good English. The monthly "autonomo" charge seems very expensive which is my main reservation, I get the impression that Spain doesn't really encourage entrepreneurship.

Last edited by dargumin; Mar 14th 2021 at 7:30 pm.
dargumin is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2021, 7:34 pm
  #4  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 538
agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Originally Posted by dargumin
I'm related to a private-hire mini bus driver... though I'm not sure what makes you ask?

Bad idea in what respect? The monthly "autonomo" charge seems very expensive which is my main reservation, I get the impression that Spain doesn't really encourage an entrepreneurship.
In the UK I had both a Ltd company and was also a sole trader. The UK encourages positively entrepreneurship. Spain is the opposite as you get buried under bureaucracy generally, regardless of what you try to do and costs if you set up your own business.

Perhaps put your plans on hold for a couple of years when maybe we return to some semblance of normality...

Others are better informed as to whether or not you would even meet the entry requirements to move here permanently....

As I am here already I don´t really delve into the details of the new entry requirements...

Good luck regardless!

agree_to_disagree is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2021, 7:36 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
tebo53's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Benidorm, the most relaxing place in Spain.
Posts: 1,159
tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Probably not a good idea, but good luck...

PS: Are you related to any bus drivers?
PS: Are you related to any bus drivers?

Nice one, Hahaha.

Steve
tebo53 is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2021, 7:43 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,008
Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Originally Posted by dargumin
I'm related to a private-hire mini bus driver... though I'm not sure what makes you ask? I'd be moving alone.

Bad idea in what respect? The bars and clubs of San Antonio are always likely to prefer a DJ with very good English. The monthly "autonomo" charge seems very expensive which is my main reservation, I get the impression that Spain doesn't really encourage entrepreneurship.

The bus driver bit is from another thread.

You have to apply for a visa to come to spain now from the UK and without a job offer from one of the major nightclubs. You cannot just come over here and work.

If you look here this gives info.

Visas (FAQ)

The amount needed to show you will not be a burden on Spain for the non lucrative (retirement) is over €2000 a month, I would assume self employed (autonomo) will be the same or more.

Thing is, is there work all year round?
Barriej is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2021, 7:51 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 700
Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

The current rules post brexit will wreak havoc in Ibiza when it/if it opens up again.The place is ****ed for British workers. And Ibiza without British seasonal workers will never be the same again.
Stingychips is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2021, 7:54 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 8
dargumin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

There isn't work all year round, but there's a LOT of work available in the Summer to cover some of the off-season shortfall. Presuming Ibiza permission was granted, would there be anything to stop me doing say 5 months of the year in Ibiza and 7 months in Barcelona?
dargumin is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2021, 8:12 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 700
Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Originally Posted by dargumin
There isn't work all year round, but there's a LOT of work available in the Summer to cover some of the off-season shortfall. Presuming Ibiza permission was granted, would there be anything to stop me doing say 5 months of the year in Ibiza and 7 months in Barcelona?
you can’t do that anymore. You have to do a three month season. Ibiza’s done
Stingychips is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2021, 8:22 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,008
Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Originally Posted by dargumin
There isn't work all year round, but there's a LOT of work available in the Summer to cover some of the off-season shortfall. Presuming Ibiza permission was granted, would there be anything to stop me doing say 5 months of the year in Ibiza and 7 months in Barcelona?
Not sure that would be allowed.
Self employment requires a lot of paperwork you would be better off contacting the Spanish Consulate nearest to you. Or email from the link I posted.

None of us here can give you any specific information because NONE of us have had to jump through the hoops you will have to.

Again its going to be a case of work, you cannot come here and then look.
If you want to work in two places and they offer you work then the employer will need to help with the visa. (not too sure if getting a visa in Ibiza would restrict you to the islands only) but don't quote me.
The thing is, they will have to demonstrate that no EU citizen can do this job before its offered to you anyway. A DJ its not brain surgery (sorry) Unless you are a big name and well known there, that may be the only way to swing it (but have you not seen the uproar over musicians visa's for tours?)

And don't think things will improve or change in your favour, the UK is no longer an EU country and I doubt many inroads will be made (they couldnt even agree to a driving licence exchange) which would have been so simple to do.

Oh and thats another thing, you would need to take a Spanish driving test (in Spanish) if you wanted to drive over here now.

Last edited by Barriej; Mar 14th 2021 at 8:26 pm.
Barriej is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2021, 9:15 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 700
Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Originally Posted by Barriej
Not sure that would be allowed.
Self employment requires a lot of paperwork you would be better off contacting the Spanish Consulate nearest to you. Or email from the link I posted.

None of us here can give you any specific information because NONE of us have had to jump through the hoops you will have to.

Again its going to be a case of work, you cannot come here and then look.
If you want to work in two places and they offer you work then the employer will need to help with the visa. (not too sure if getting a visa in Ibiza would restrict you to the islands only) but don't quote me.
The thing is, they will have to demonstrate that no EU citizen can do this job before its offered to you anyway. A DJ its not brain surgery (sorry) Unless you are a big name and well known there, that may be the only way to swing it (but have you not seen the uproar over musicians visa's for tours?)

And don't think things will improve or change in your favour, the UK is no longer an EU country and I doubt many inroads will be made (they couldnt even agree to a driving licence exchange) which would have been so simple to do.

Oh and thats another thing, you would need to take a Spanish driving test (in Spanish) if you wanted to drive over here now.
Seasonal workers can’t work there no more. Nor can up and upcoming DJs/musicians. That’s if the Spanish government chooses to enforce the new rules. It’s not looking good for Ibiza atm unless their government is relaxed and let’s Brits stay for longer. Who knows.
Stingychips is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2021, 9:29 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,008
Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Seasonal workers can’t work there no more. Nor can up and upcoming DJs/musicians. That’s if the Spanish government chooses to enforce the new rules. It’s not looking good for Ibiza atm unless their government is relaxed and let’s Brits stay for longer. Who knows.
Wouldn't think the islands can make their own rules, they are part of Spain (could be wrong here) and its not a Spanish law its an EU one (which the UK knew about before Brexit).

But is a lot of the 'seasonal' work on the black anyway?

Also good question regarding seasonal workers, how does the new system for Brits work as a Tour Rep for the likes of TUI etc?
I think the devil is in the details and thats probably something nobody looked at that closely.



Barriej is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2021, 9:51 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 700
Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Originally Posted by Barriej
Wouldn't think the islands can make their own rules, they are part of Spain (could be wrong here) and its not a Spanish law its an EU one (which the UK knew about before Brexit).

But is a lot of the 'seasonal' work on the black anyway?

Also good question regarding seasonal workers, how does the new system for Brits work as a Tour Rep for the likes of TUI etc?
I think the devil is in the details and thats probably something nobody looked at that closely.
the deal doesn’t work with seasonal workers or tour reps unless Spain breaks ranks with the EU on certain issues. Greece pretty much were prepared to break ranks over the covid passports. I wouldn’t plan anything for this summer as relations between the EU and UK look like they will be getting worse befor they get better with everything that’s going on atm with Northern Ireland. Also Europe’s shocking vaccine roll out and refusal to take the Astra Zeneca vaccine has created the start of a third wave of the more deadly Kent strain. France , Poland , Italy are going to have a big nasty wave of covid unless they go into a three month stricter lockdown. Spain will surly follow.
Stingychips is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2021, 7:14 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 660
Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

Well obviously there will not be a clubbing season this summer as restrictions will be in place for the rest of the year at least. I would imagine clubs will be the last thing to be opened up.
Chipmonk is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2021, 8:00 am
  #15  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 538
agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza as a Self-Employed DJ from UK

The point is that Brexit was all about taking back control, which included the UKs borders…

The flip side of this was it meant that bus drivers, DJs and club reps were going to find it nigh on impossible to now relocate in the EU to work on either a seasonal or permanent basis. The UK got what it voted for…

Lots of unfilled jobs in the UK to pick daffodils, fruit and veg…

Harsh reality…
agree_to_disagree is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.