Moving household stuff to Spain

Wikiposts

Moving household stuff to Spain

Old Aug 1st 2014, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Debbib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving household stuff to Spain

Hi everybody,
I've found this forum really helpful as I'm planning my move to Spain.
I'm trying to work out all costs that will be associated with the move.
Does anyone have any recommendations for an insured removal firm.
Please can anyone give me an idea of cost to move contents of our house and does Spain charge any import duty on personal belongings.
Thanks in anticipation of your help.
Debbi & Dunc.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving household stuff to Spain

We moved the entire contents of our house. The price varies on how flexible you are. We were staying with family so were able to give the removers a 6 week window which brought the cost down as the load could be taken as part of a scheduled delivery to Spain. In total 5 years ago this cost me 3600, there were delays with our house which we had anticipated so as part of the contract we included 6 months storage in spain. We also had spent time looking at prices in Spain for appliances that were built in in the UK and would need replacing as soon as we were in our house (Cooker, cooker hood, dishwasher, etc) In the end I bought a range cooker and hood in the UK and these came over as part of the shipment, also other things that we knew were cheaper in the UK such as rotary washing line, trampoline and enclosure and some dried food items that i knew we would not get where we moved to in spain . I did my own packing which also saved on the cost of transport.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debbib
Hi everybody,
I've found this forum really helpful as I'm planning my move to Spain.
I'm trying to work out all costs that will be associated with the move.
Does anyone have any recommendations for an insured removal firm.
Please can anyone give me an idea of cost to move contents of our house and does Spain charge any import duty on personal belongings.
Thanks in anticipation of your help.
Debbi & Dunc.
There are loads of removal firms advertising in the local press, or just google " removal firms UK to Spain"
The trouble with recommendations on forums is that one will tell you that X was careful, nothing broken, reasonable price etc, and another will tell you that the same firm smashed their ornaments, lost their stuff, ripped them off.
It's better to just select 4, get quotes, ask about import duty( they are the experts ) insurance etc
If they belong to an organisation such as BAR, at least you'll have someone to complain to if you get no joy from the remover if things go wrong.
Don 't be tempted by ones which seem too cheap, your belongings are precious to you.
Look for established businesses, often family ones which pride themselves on service.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into this and asked myself "is it worth taking?" I came to the conclusion that most of it is not when you consider the cost of taking it.

You can get a van one way hire, from about £110 for a big transit to £120nfor a luton van, Spanglish-hire Website

Overnight ferry to bilbao with cabin about £450 about 900 miles for me to malaga so fuel £200 3 days hire £330 or 4 £440.

Just another option you may be able to consider?
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:03 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

We took far too much over, and that didn't include much furniture, just a bed and a couple of recliner chairs. I wouldn't really think of taking white goods, we didn't, and had 3 days in an aparthotel when we got there during which time we bought, and had delivered everything else, we took our TV, only to replace it within a month, nothing wrong with it, just could get a better one cheaply. We bought all white goods there.
Remember that the majority of Spanish houses have smaller rooms than UK ones, so you can easily overfil a place. We knew of one couple who took the entire contents of their house in the UK, and had to get rid of about 80% as it didn't fit in.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:27 am
Just Joined

thank you so much everyone for your helpful posts they have given us a good deal of food for thought.
Please can I ask another question how can I avoid paying capital gains tax to Spain on my UK house sale. Is it correct that if we buy a house in Spain before becoming Spanish residents we will not have to pay CGT.
Thanks very much )
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Debbib

When we moved in 2012 we came with a self drive Luton van, with an excellent one way hire from Kent to Javea (UK reg but LHD and speedo in Km). One Way Van Hire Spain | UK Spain Removals | One Way Van Hire Spain £120 per day with 5 days for the price of 4. They even provide you with a discount on the Portsmouth Bilbao ferry crossing. The drive to Orihuela Costa is about 8 hours from Bilbao with a loaded van. This meant about 80 litres of diesel from Yorkshire. The ferry crossing will cost about £450 including a cabin,and will take about 36 hours, so is a sort of mini cruise.

We sold our car in UK because importing it into Spain is a pain and costs quite a lot and is also RHD. So the self drive van was ideal. We hired a car for 5 weeks, in October was quite cheap, and then bought one in Spain.

If you fly and send your belongings on ahead it would probably cost you a lot more. Although you cannot insure your belongings cheaply if you DIY at least you have packed them and will not need an overnight stop where the van is vulnerable.

Having said that we did not bring much furniture, only all the beds, and Freezer, tumble drier and TV. We also brought almost all the rest of our household belongings including the 'treasure' from my shed, only to sell, give or throw away 2/3 of it when we eventually settled. This was because we either had no need of it, rentals and sales usually include everything including crockery, or there was no room to store it.

If you can be as ruthless as possible in downsizing before you come so much the better. If it has been in your loft for over 6 months and you have not looked at it, you do not need to take it with you.

The drive was fun and part of the adventure for us, although Brittany ferries went on strike the week we were moving so had to rapidly change plans to Hull/Zeebrugge and two overnights through France and Spain, cost us an extra tank of fuel, two hotels and lots of money in tolls (Luton van classed as a lorry on toll roads), Driving was very easy and unhurried and van was very comfortable and quiet.

S&J
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

thank you so much everyone for your helpful posts they have given us a good deal of food for thought.
Please can I ask another question how can I avoid paying capital gains tax to Spain on my UK house sale. Is it correct that if we buy a house in Spain before becoming Spanish residents we will not have to pay CGT.
Thanks very much )
If you move to Spain in the same year that you sell your house, before July 2nd, therefore spending more than 183 days in Spain, making you tax resident, you will pay cgt in Spain, even if you sold your house before you moved.
Spanish tax year is Jan-Dec. Any thing that year, lump sums, winnings, inheritances etc, in UK will also be subject to cgt in Spain, and your income for the whole year will be declared the following year.many do not realise this.
If you spend all the proceeds on buying a house in Spain, within 2 years, called roll over relief, you won't have to pay cgt, but if you only spend some of it buying a property, you 'll pay cgt on the remainder.
Glad you asked?
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 1:30 am
Just Joined

Thank you to everyone for your replies I really appreciate them.
I am going to get some quotes to get an idea of removal costs.
Neptuno - Is my understanding correct that if we move to Spain after the 2nd July and say rent for a couple of months whilst we find a house to buy we won't have to pay CGT.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

yes, because you will have spent less than 183 days in Spain, and will not be tax resident for that year.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to everyone for your replies I really appreciate them.
I am going to get some quotes to get an idea of removal costs.
Neptuno - Is my understanding correct that if we move to Spain after the 2nd July and say rent for a couple of months whilst we find a house to buy we won't have to pay CGT.
That is correct.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 4:11 am
Just Joined

Thank you Neptuno