Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Guardamar in six weeks - any advice!!

Moving to Guardamar in six weeks - any advice!!

Old May 16th 2006, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice
Smile Moving to Guardamar in six weeks - any advice!!

Hi to eveyone

Well, we've sent the last instalment of our money, sorted out the lorry for moving over in June, got the career break (just in case)! etc etc.

We are very excited, scared, exhilarated and so on. Has anyone got any advice for the last few weeks.

We are in the process of sorting through (again) our belongings, buying essential (?) things like kettles, and hoping that we are doing the right thing.

We love our property in Spain, have already, thank goodness, sold our property in the UK so only need to give notice on our rented place.

We are at the moment having meals with friends to say goodbye, sorting out the last minute things, and keeping our fingers crossed.

My husband is more laid back than me; I feel as if I should research everything. I just hope that once I leave work, I will CHILL!

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

lol

Spanishgirl
Old May 16th 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Guardamar in six weeks - any advice!!

The very best of luck, spanishgirl. Just out of curiousity, why do you consider buying a kettle in the UK an essential? I think, on the whole, it's better buy those sort of electrical items in Spain, at least then, if anything goes wrong with it, it's easier to take it back whilst still in warranty, and a whole heap more convenient.

Lucky you, though!
Old May 17th 2006, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice
Smile Re: Moving to Guardamar in six weeks - any advice!!

Hi Un-mundo

I'm sure that nothing we are taking is essential! We know you can get everything over in Spain.

Its just that I have a tendency to try and be too organised. I'm chomping at the bit here, still working (23 more working days and counting), but dreaming of our new life. I'm just trying to make our move a little easier, and as someone who has always taken a travel kettle on each holiday, felt it essential to be able to make a cup of tea from the first moment we were in our new home. ; - ) Sad woman that I am!

Its all a bit scary at the moment. :scared:

No doubt, a few beers will put that right.

Best wishes

Spanishgirl
Old May 17th 2006, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

I don't know about the area you're moving to, but when I was setting up my home in Spain the one thing that was virtually impossible to buy locally was a kettle - I did find one eventually but it cost alot more than I would have paid in the UK!!

Good Luck in your new life.
Old May 17th 2006, 2:25 pm
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Moving to Guardamar in six weeks - any advice!!

Hi spanishgirl,

Don't worry about what you may, or may not, forget - just enjoy your arrival in Spain. There is nothing vital which is not available here. Yes some things are cheaper, some more expensive, buy you will sort out the essentials in a few days. The rest will follow, we've been here 5 years and are still sorting out the 'little' things .

You are lucky to have sorted out your property in UK and Spain, just enjoy every day as it comes here, and don't believe the doom and gloom 'experts'. You will not need 'rose tinted' spectacles..................

Hope it all goes well with the move and you meet good neighbours who will show you the ropes of LIVING here.

Jock
Old May 17th 2006, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Moving to Guardamar in six weeks - any advice!!

Thanks ScotinSpain

You have made me feel much better. We were VERY lucky with our house sale. We decided to sell our three bedroomed detached house shortly after we put down the deposit on our Spanish property. We got a buyer within 10 days, and moved into rented property within about 10 weeks.

From reading these message boards, we realise that we have been very fortunate. All we have to do now is give notice to our landlord, and off we go.

Coming over to another country is a bit scary, but what the hell! Life is for living. We have met some really ok people so far, I'm sure that will continue.

And the freedom of not working if we don't have to seems good to me. Roll on the 26 June!

Regards.

Spanishgirl

Originally Posted by ScotinSpain
Hi spanishgirl
Don't worry about what you may, or may not, forget - just enjoy your arrival in Spain. There is nothing vital which is not available here. Yes some things are cheaper, some more expensive, buy you will sort out the essentials in a few days. The rest will follow, we've been here 5 years and are still sorting out the 'little' things .

You are lucky to have sorted out your property in UK and Spain, just enjoy every day as it comes here, and don't believe the doom and gloom 'experts'. You will not need 'rose tinted' spectacles..................

Hope it all goes well with the move and you meet good neighbours who will show you the ropes of LIVING here.

Jock
Old May 20th 2006, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

where you moving to ? wheres "guadamar"? i know where "guadALmar" is...but ur 1? is it up on the blanca maybe ?

Last edited by bfg69bug; May 20th 2006 at 2:26 pm.
Old May 20th 2006, 4:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
where you moving to ? wheres "guadamar"? i know where "guadALmar" is...but ur 1? is it up on the blanca maybe ?

Costa Blanca
Old May 21st 2006, 11:41 am
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

My advice is just to not worry - this from a person who lives on stress - everything can be bought sorted out in Spain - just deal with the UK bit first - also take your time when you get to Spain - get to know people first and be careful who you deal with - I see many people move here and get ripped off by the scavengers out here - people can seem very friendly at first but often because of ulterior motives - they sense prey!

Mark
Old May 21st 2006, 2:20 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GCM
My advice is just to not worry - this from a person who lives on stress - everything can be bought sorted out in Spain - just deal with the UK bit first - also take your time when you get to Spain - get to know people first and be careful who you deal with - I see many people move here and get ripped off by the scavengers out here - people can seem very friendly at first but often because of ulterior motives - they sense prey!

Mark
Oh you are sooo right, we have only been here in Spain for about 4 months and we too have been ripped off, not by the Spanish but by the British, but hey, you live and learn,let it all go over your head.......
aside fm that we are very happy
Old May 21st 2006, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

do you know any spanish ? that´d be a good help

and remember we are always here to offer advice, so util u get ur internet sorted, get yourself to a cybercafe and come back and chat to us hehehe
Old May 21st 2006, 3:21 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
do you know any spanish ? that´d be a good help

and remember we are always here to offer advice, so util u get ur internet sorted, get yourself to a cybercafe and come back and chat to us hehehe
err do you mean me?????
if sooooo, my internet is sorted ,thanks and do you mean Spanish people or Spanish as in language????
he he he he
not quite sure if you are being rude or not
Old May 21st 2006, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
err do you mean me?????
if sooooo, my internet is sorted ,thanks and do you mean Spanish people or Spanish as in language????
he he he he
not quite sure if you are being rude or not

sorry patsy i was actually talking "to" the original poster who is moving to spain hehehehe i was not being rude to you at all not in the slightest
Old May 21st 2006, 3:39 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
Oh you are sooo right, we have only been here in Spain for about 4 months and we too have been ripped off, not by the Spanish but by the British, but hey, you live and learn,let it all go over your head.......
aside fm that we are very happy
We all get ripped off so don't worry you are not alone. Moving to Spain you can't help but make mistakes - hopefully they are not too expensive ones!

Mark
PS- that message wasn't referring to you but to the original person who started the thread.
Old May 21st 2006, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Moving to Guardamar in six weeks - any advice!!

Hiya

Thanks so much for your advice so far.

I think I know what your mean with being ripped off. We have been over to Spain half a dozen times to look at our property etc etc. The number of people who have given us details of the 'best' place to get air conditioning, door grilles etc etc. I know that some people will have given the details in good faith, but we know that Spain works on commission, so its a bit of a jungle trying to decide the best ones for us! No doubt it will all sort itself out in the end.

We aren't trying to rush things. Once we get there, we will sort out our stuff, then decide if we need anything else.

At home, I am still packing boxes. We have negotiated a deal with a haulage company and we can fill a large container for a certain price. It will fit in as much stuff from home as I want. Some of it I know I want to take, but the other stuff I'm not so sure. What a dilemma!! I think that I may just have a couple of gin and tonics, then everything will become easier. (Do I really need the vase thats been gathering dust at the back of the cupboard for I don't know how many years ...?!).

Its getting really close now. We have lots of nights and meals out, and I'm sure that the next five weeks will pass in a flash. We have a big party on the Saturday before we fly to Spain on the Monday, and I'm sure that will be a bitter sweet experience!

All I know is that we only have one life, and its certainly for living. I've had enough of working, so bring on the leisure. Can't wait!!

Cheers

Spanishgirl

(this is gin and tonic in my case)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.