Reload this Page >

Moving in Gibraltar

Moving in Gibraltar

Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:05 am
Just Joined

catioana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving in Gibraltar

Hello all,
I am leaving and working as a nurse in UK,my husband is working in construction and we are looking to move in Gibraltar.After many days of searching all what I do until now I sent my CV and I registered with GHA and recruitgibraltar.I did not thought is so difficult to find a job there.All the jobs I found are in gaming which we do not have experience but in healthy and other is very hard to find something, special when we are living in UK and not locally.Any help and advice will be appreciated.Thank you.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving in Gibraltar

Originally Posted by catioana
Hello all,
I am leaving and working as a nurse in UK,my husband is working in construction and we are looking to move in Gibraltar.After many days of searching all what I do until now I sent my CV and I registered with GHA and recruitgibraltar.I did not thought is so difficult to find a job there.All the jobs I found are in gaming which we do not have experience but in healthy and other is very hard to find something, special when we are living in UK and not locally.Any help and advice will be appreciated.Thank you.
Hi catioana

the GHA is a good place to look for nursing jobs in Gibraltar. Construction is more difficult, there are many Spaniards and Moroccans working or looking for work in that trade.

I would recommend you took a short holiday here and had a look round.
You could also meet potential employers face to face
Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:38 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 10th 2014, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
My question would be why Gibraltar and yes it's mainly customer service jobs with language skills. Gibraltar has a population of around 30.000, so nursing jobs won't be advertised that often. Construction on a Rock is also limited and the link below shows how little there is. https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/governm...pment-projects
Old Jul 10th 2014, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Gibraltar has a population of around 30.000, so nursing jobs won't be advertised that often.
No vacancies at present.

.:Gibraltar Health Authority - Providing health care to the residents of and visitors to Gibraltar:.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Richierich333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mental health nurse jobs in Gibraltar

Good afternoon you lovely people,

Ok ok, I know you've probably had this a million times but I'm hitting brick walls with my research...

My wife and I are in our late thirties and feeling decidedly stagnant here in england...the weather sucks...the people ain't much friendlier...and we want to live in Estepona/gibraltar..in fact not want....need to live in estepona/Gibraltar and pronto...

We have enough savings to keep us going for a few months rent/bills wise etc and I'm lucky enough to get a forces pension which comes in roughly at £550 every four weeks...

Now what I want to ask is...are the chances of getting a job as a mental health nurse as bleak as it seems...I've emailed just about every mental health care provider on the island and had one reply asking me to submit my cv and they will let me know if a vacancy comes up...

Prior to becoming a nurse, I have extensive sales experience also which I'm more than happy to do again if the nursing was a non starter...

So I guess I'm looking for some advice either on the nursing aspect, the availability of jobs...or your thoughts on a "stuff it, let's just do it and see what happens" attitude...

We rent, don't have any children (yet) and can pretty much up sticks whenever we like...

Thanks in advance

Rich
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Richierich333

My best advice is take a holiday out here.

Come and have a look whilst showing your face to potential employers.

Regards

Fred
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply Fred...

Do you really think the old school method of physically delivering my cv and introducing myself would work in Gibraltar? We already know we love spain and in particular, estepona...so I suppose what I'm trying to say...in your opinion, is the costs of flights and accommodation for a short break balanced out by potential of finding work?

I understand that living near by would have distinct advantages, for interviews and canvassing...so if we have the money to survive for a few months in spain without working, would that be a good gamble in your opinion?

Ultimately we want to live in Gibraltar, from all the research we have done it seems idyllic to our needs...but I'm also a realist and not a dreamer...I guess I just want someone to say "go for it, there are jobs to be had and until you find the perfect nursing job there are other jobs about to keep you going".

Thanks...oh and it's bouncing down with rain in Manchester...just to help you feel a little more smug
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 1:59 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental health nurse jobs in Gibraltar

Originally Posted by Richierich333
Good afternoon you lovely people,

Ok ok, I know you've probably had this a million times but I'm hitting brick walls with my research...

My wife and I are in our late thirties and feeling decidedly stagnant here in england...the weather sucks...the people ain't much friendlier...and we want to live in Estepona/gibraltar..in fact not want....need to live in estepona/Gibraltar and pronto...

We have enough savings to keep us going for a few months rent/bills wise etc and I'm lucky enough to get a forces pension which comes in roughly at £550 every four weeks...

Now what I want to ask is...are the chances of getting a job as a mental health nurse as bleak as it seems...I've emailed just about every mental health care provider on the island and had one reply asking me to submit my cv and they will let me know if a vacancy comes up...

Prior to becoming a nurse, I have extensive sales experience also which I'm more than happy to do again if the nursing was a non starter...

So I guess I'm looking for some advice either on the nursing aspect, the availability of jobs...or your thoughts on a "stuff it, let's just do it and see what happens" attitude...

We rent, don't have any children (yet) and can pretty much up sticks whenever we like...

Thanks in advance

Rich
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the reply Fred...

Do you really think the old school method of physically delivering my cv and introducing myself would work in Gibraltar?

What I see and hear is that emails, phone calls and agencies are much of a waste of time.

I cannot say that being here in person will be successful, but I believe it will give you a much better chance.

You may have to settle for other work but being close at hand gives you an advantage when the right job comes up.

My wife worked in a bar for six months before finally getting a job at the hospital, but that was more than 35 years ago and the frontier was closed

If you are working and have accommodation in the UK don't throw it away come for a holiday.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Aug 2nd 2014 at 2:42 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi again Fred,

I've sort of figured that my emails etc have been a waste of time, I have joined agencies but I have contacted the services themselves although had no answers yet.

I was playing with the idea of working in one of the call centres and keep an eye on the hospital, much like your wife did all that time ago...seems like a logical step for me...and with the Raf pension I get if we lived in Spain then I could probably work part time...life wouldn't be so bad!

I think I'm beginning to answer my own question! One things for sure, once I have set my sights on something I generally achieve it...so perhaps a sales job is the way forward for now...get my face about and perhaps even do some voluntary work at the mental health hospital...

Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The only thing I would say about living in Spain is do you really want to get mixed up with the Spanish taxman?

Have a read through this forum to see what I mean.

However that does not preclude a short stay there whilst you sort yourself out.

I lived in Estapona in 1980 and it's a nice place, I still have friends there, but to me it's too long a commute.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again Fred,

I was under the impression that We would pay our taxes in Gibraltar if we worked there?

An extended stay in spain as you say, and I keep my English bank account?
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks again Fred,

I was under the impression that We would pay our taxes in Gibraltar if we worked there?

An extended stay in spain as you say, and I keep my English bank account?
Yes you would pay tax on earned income in Gib and also possibly in Spain, there is no official tax agreement between Spain and Gib ( Spain will not even talk to Gib ) to the best of my knowledge, but something must apply due to the thousands of Spanish cross frontier workers.
Remember Spain will tax the air you breath, best a short stay less than 183 days and sign on nothing
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

From what I've just read, we would pay income tax in Gibraltar much like I already do here in the uk...it did not state that we would have to pay tax in spain too?

Like you say Fred, six months and sign nothing...if we drive over in the camper, if all else fails, we drive back and sell the camper, starting afresh...

I could really do with finding someone who has done exactly the same thing hey