British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving to Galicia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-galicia-930881/)

Trerouco Feb 5th 2020 2:05 pm

Moving to Galicia

Hi we’re a family of 4 (2 boys aged 7&9) looking to move to Viveiro in Galicia. My husband is from the area and we’ve decided to give ourselves 1 year there to see how we get on. Our biggest concern being the school system and opportunities for our children, as we know nothing of the school system.

I'm looking for advice on the schools in viveiro, do they speak Galego or Castilian in the main school? What are the schools in viveiro like? What are the school hours? At what age do they go onto secondary/high school?

Also if anyone knows what the local community is like for families of children that age?

Our boys will be speaking fairly well in Spanish when we go,, we’re having Spanish lessons for them but I’m not sure whether to aim for Galego or southern as they will also need to write it at school, we want to make it as easy as possible for our boys to adapt.
my husband never spoke to them in Spanish as he speaks Galego and when he was younger there was so much prejudice (which he faced a lot) he didn’t want to put them in that position, although now it’s far more spoken and accepted so now we’re kicking ourselves!

We’re fine work/house wise and know the area very well, it’s mainly settling the children in. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Moses2013 Feb 5th 2020 2:49 pm

Re: Moving to Galicia

Originally Posted by Trerouco (Post 12802140)
Hi we’re a family of 4 (2 boys aged 7&9) looking to move to Viveiro in Galicia. My husband is from the area and we’ve decided to give ourselves 1 year there to see how we get on. Our biggest concern being the school system and opportunities for our children, as we know nothing of the school system.

I'm looking for advice on the schools in viveiro, do they speak Galego or Castilian in the main school? What are the schools in viveiro like? What are the school hours? At what age do they go onto secondary/high school?

Also if anyone knows what the local community is like for families of children that age?

Our boys will be speaking fairly well in Spanish when we go,, we’re having Spanish lessons for them but I’m not sure whether to aim for Galego or southern as they will also need to write it at school, we want to make it as easy as possible for our boys to adapt.
my husband never spoke to them in Spanish as he speaks Galego and when he was younger there was so much prejudice (which he faced a lot) he didn’t want to put them in that position, although now it’s far more spoken and accepted so now we’re kicking ourselves!

We’re fine work/house wise and know the area very well, it’s mainly settling the children in. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

If your husband is from area, you are probably better off ringing them directly. A quick google will get you schools in area and they can probably give you better information http://www.colegiolandro.com/

Casa Santo Estevo Feb 5th 2020 8:28 pm

Ask our husband's relative about what schools are like.
Reading the news it is certain that Galego is the language of some/majority of lessons.
Again ask relatives or contact the council
https://www.viveiro.es/telefonos-e-enderezos-4219/

we’re having Spanish lessons for them but I’m not sure whether to aim for Galego or southern as.....
What is southern?

Trerouco Feb 5th 2020 8:42 pm

When I say southern I mean Castilian. Unfortunately all our family there are older and don’t have any children(their children are all adults now) hence why I’m asking for personal experiences on here as I have no one else to ask for personal experience.

Casa Santo Estevo Feb 7th 2020 8:54 am

All Spanish families have children somewhere in the line. cousins of cousins etc.
There are very few members of this forum who live in Galicia. Most do not make regular contributions. Obtaining help on one city in this vast bit of land is nigh on impossible.

Trerouco Feb 7th 2020 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 12803191)
All Spanish families have children somewhere in the line. cousins of cousins etc.
There are very few members of this forum who live in Galicia. Most do not make regular contributions. Obtaining help on one city in this vast bit of land is nigh on impossible.

Unfortunately there are no younger cousins in this Spanish family, my UK family has quite a large number but they’re based in UK. My husband is an only son, out of his 4 uncles only 1 other had a child who has sadly passed and his children are grown up with no children of their own. On his mother’s side only 1 brother has children who again are grown up without any children as yet. So you see there are no young children on our Spanish side.

However it’s from an English perspective I wanted to hear experiences.

Thank you for your input.

obd Feb 7th 2020 10:19 am

I'm in Coruña - kids in junior school here have some lessons in Galician but most classes seem to be in castellano . Sorry can't help further. Good luck!

Trerouco Feb 7th 2020 10:24 am

Originally Posted by obd (Post 12803220)
I'm in Coruña - kids in junior school here have some lessons in Galician but most classes seem to be in castellano . Sorry can't help further. Good luck!

Thank you. Are/were you/your kids Spanish or English speaking when they started school? Many thanks

Moses2013 Feb 7th 2020 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Trerouco (Post 12803222)
Thank you. Are/were you/your kids Spanish or English speaking when they started school? Many thanks

At the end of the day every child will be different. Your kids are young enough to pick up the language and already speak Spanish + the father is a local.
Before worrying even more, ask the schools directly. The teachers can tell you more than anyone here and will test the kids Spanish skills.