Reload this Page >

moving to fuengirola

moving to fuengirola

Old Sep 2nd 2015, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

HiImScottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to fuengirola

Hi all
I am planning on moving to fuengirola in june 2015. Me and a friend want to go out for one year just to trial it before we make any solid decisions about the future. Any advice anyone has about pretty much everything would be welcome. We plan to pay our first years rent upfront.
Thanks in advance
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 3:23 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to fuengirola

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 3:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may have missed the bus - June 2015 was two months ago!

It might help if you explained what you intend to do when you get there, otherwise it is impossible to give you any advice.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
I think you may have missed the bus - June 2015 was two months ago!

It might help if you explained what you intend to do when you get there, otherwise it is impossible to give you any advice.
Sorry i mean 2016, my tablet automatically updated it. I intend to do bar/waitress work. Maybe find something a bit more permanent if possible. Ultimately we are looking to not be working 50 hours a week like we are now while learning another language and experiencing another culture
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HiImScottish
Hi all
I am planning on moving to fuengirola in june 2015. Me and a friend want to go out for one year just to trial it before we make any solid decisions about the future. Any advice anyone has about pretty much everything would be welcome. We plan to pay our first years rent upfront.
Thanks in advance
Sorry I mean 2016 my tablet automatically updated it!
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry i mean 2016, my tablet automatically updated it. I intend to do bar/waitress work. Maybe find something a bit more permanent if possible. Ultimately we are looking to not be working 50 hours a week like we are now while learning another language and experiencing another culture
So a part time/casual waiter?

There are plenty of British places wanting an English speaker although many want you to speak Spanish as well. I have no idea whether they would be hiring or not although the Costa del sol has seemed a lot busier this year

Just a note that if you were working in a purely English speaking place then there would be very few opportunities to even hear Spanish, nevermind improve it

Hourly rate will probably be 3-6 euros
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 7:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You may well find that in order to get a living wage you will have to be working that length of time, most bar work is 'on the black' so no contract and therefore no Spanish healthcare cover, so you will need to factor in private cover as well as rental costs.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
So a part time/casual waiter?

There are plenty of British places wanting an English speaker although many want you to speak Spanish as well. I have no idea whether they would be hiring or not although the Costa del sol has seemed a lot busier this year

Just a note that if you were working in a purely English speaking place then there would be very few opportunities to even hear Spanish, nevermind improve it

Hourly rate will probably be 3-6 euros
I am slowly learning Spanish, my friend doesn't want to but I think she may have to. I work in a pub in Scotland so i know that bar work isnt the easiest of work to find on a permanent basis. 3-6 euros, goodness i moan about my low pay just now ha. Thank you for your reply
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You may well find that in order to get a living wage you will have to be working that length of time, most bar work is 'on the black' so no contract and therefore no Spanish healthcare cover, so you will need to factor in private cover as well as rental costs.
Thank you for your reply. Do you know roughly how much private health care would be? Im relatively well, haven't seen a doctor in a long time if that makes any difference.
We plan to stretch our savings as far as they will go so hopefully we can relax and work a little less before we have to work as we do at the moment. Im not afraid of hard work but would like to have a little bit of time to explore and take in the culture before reality bites ☺
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

I would not pay a years rent upfront. Firstly you don't have to but more importantly there are a lot of 'untrustworthy' people in these parts. Once they have your money, they'll want someone else's.

Better to play safe, leave your cash in the bank then if things turn pear shaped & the unexpected happens, you minimise your loss
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by licinius
I would not pay a years rent upfront. Firstly you don't have to but more importantly there are a lot of 'untrustworthy' people in these parts. Once they have your money, they'll want someone else's.

Better to play safe, leave your cash in the bank then if things turn pear shaped & the unexpected happens, you minimise your loss
I didn't think about it like this. I was just thinking about if all else fails we will still have a roof over our heads. I think I'll do what you say and leave it in the bank. Thank you
Old Sep 4th 2015, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Do not pay a year up front, you could get fooled.
You can look for work here: Jobs in Spain
Old Sep 4th 2015, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonnyx
Do not pay a year up front, you could get fooled.
You can look for work here: Jobs in Spain
Thank you. I think i was being a little too trusting with that idea.