Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving down to Anywhere in the Malaga area for good help

Moving down to Anywhere in the Malaga area for good help

Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:38 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving down to Anywhere in the Malaga area for good help

Originally Posted by lovingthesun
It would appear that nothing has changed as yet but it's probably best to apply sooner rather than later in case things do change. As I said, I found the staff at the pension centre in Newcastle to be very helpful.

I just found this link also http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/export/index.asp
The OP should be aware of this point as he would no longer be entitled to claim the benefit!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Refusing or stopping payment

Payment of any of the three benefits will cease if:
•your entitlement to the pension ends or;
• your National Insurance cover ends or;
•if you become eligible for a sickness benefit in the country you have moved to, or;
• if you start work in another European Economic Area state as either an employed or self-employed person and are thus provided with insurance for a sickness benefit or;
• if you start to receive an old age or invalidity benefit from your state of residence.
would this apply to the poster's wife?
what happens to the carer payments?
can she register for work with the poster being dependent relative and also effectively run the small business?
does such activity count as running a business when it could be deemed to being making "pin money" from a hobby?

Surely there is also the 2 year rule to take into account for medical etc when moving from the UK
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

Originally Posted by dominosafety
would this apply to the poster's wife?
what happens to the carer payments?
can she register for work with the poster being dependent relative and also effectively run the small business?
does such activity count as running a business when it could be deemed to being making "pin money" from a hobby?

Surely there is also the 2 year rule to take into account for medical etc when moving from the UK
I don't know if these are rhetorical questions or if you are specifically asking me. If it's the latter, I simply posted and the link and pasted a relevant part from the site.

As I've said previously, the Pensions Centre in Newcastle are extremely helpful and if they were not able to answer these questions, would be able to tell you who could.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi suninthesky, several things are jumping out at me.

1. It seems that setting up in business here is expensive and not that easy to do from what I read.

2. Postage ... as said it can be stupid prices ! and although in recent years nothing I have requested nor sent has gone awry it can be bad. Some villages I have visited have no postal delivery you have to go and collect it I assume that means you may have a distance to go to post out also.

3. Language, if your disability means you can't get about easily you will need to have good spanish or pay for translater. In the beginning there is a lot of paperwork to be done and you need to understand it.

4. I also read that to sell at the markets you eed a licence, more expense, the only boot sale I know if is free but really is only a place for ex pats to meet have a chat and coffee. I did not see much selling and as also already said, most want things for free or as cheap as they can get. That may also depend on area.

Not knowing all the facts but on reading what you have posted I would be very wary of burning your UK bridges.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:50 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovingthesun
I don't know if these are rhetorical questions or if you are specifically asking me. If it's the latter, I simply posted and the link and pasted a relevant part from the site.

As I've said previously, the Pensions Centre in Newcastle are extremely helpful and if they were not able to answer these questions, would be able to tell you who could.
Perhaps a bit of both - this is after all a discussion forum. there is so much to think of, so much to sort out, but then you know because you have done it already. Long gone the days of throwng a few things into the saddle bags, mounting up and riding out. Even the windmills have almost all gone.

As you have pointed out there are many links available on sites such as Pensions and the FCO as well as the DWP and DirectGov and HMRC. I have so many printouts for future reference with pencil jottings on I may have to get another toner cartridge soon.

At the end of the day it is up to the individual to ensure they will get the medical services as well as any benefits they need to make a go of such a move.. I don't know that there is one site that is fully comprehensive - if there was it would be a full time job keeping up with all the amendments.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

suninthesky is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes we are looking at every little bit of info and stuff that we can, even the occasional non doom and gloom ones, personally looking at mosyt of the posts on this forum, I wonder why any of you bother to stay, thanks for all the info

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Hi suninthesky, several things are jumping out at me.

1. It seems that setting up in business here is expensive and not that easy to do from what I read.

2. Postage ... as said it can be stupid prices ! and although in recent years nothing I have requested nor sent has gone awry it can be bad. Some villages I have visited have no postal delivery you have to go and collect it I assume that means you may have a distance to go to post out also.

3. Language, if your disability means you can't get about easily you will need to have good spanish or pay for translater. In the beginning there is a lot of paperwork to be done and you need to understand it.

4. I also read that to sell at the markets you eed a licence, more expense, the only boot sale I know if is free but really is only a place for ex pats to meet have a chat and coffee. I did not see much selling and as also already said, most want things for free or as cheap as they can get. That may also depend on area.

Not knowing all the facts but on reading what you have posted I would be very wary of burning your UK bridges.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:13 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suninthesky
Yes we are looking at every little bit of info and stuff that we can, even the occasional non doom and gloom ones, personally looking at mosyt of the posts on this forum, I wonder why any of you bother to stay, thanks for all the info

You need to come over and see why!!! Its lovely to live here, but without money or an income its horrendous! Its not easy to get work and finance living here if you need to and whereas it once was easy and cheap to live here, thats all changed

Jo xxx
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Jo we are coming down soon to have a few months, so we wil lsee for our self.

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
You need to come over and see why!!! Its lovely to live here, but without money or an income its horrendous! Its not easy to get work and finance living here if you need to and whereas it once was easy and cheap to live here, thats all changed

Jo xxx
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

Originally Posted by dominosafety
Perhaps a bit of both - this is after all a discussion forum. there is so much to think of, so much to sort out, but then you know because you have done it already. Long gone the days of throwng a few things into the saddle bags, mounting up and riding out. Even the windmills have almost all gone.

As you have pointed out there are many links available on sites such as Pensions and the FCO as well as the DWP and DirectGov and HMRC. I have so many printouts for future reference with pencil jottings on I may have to get another toner cartridge soon.

At the end of the day it is up to the individual to ensure they will get the medical services as well as any benefits they need to make a go of such a move.. I don't know that there is one site that is fully comprehensive - if there was it would be a full time job keeping up with all the amendments.
Well, yes - I can speak from personal experience and am happy to pass on what I have learnt. However, I'm not qualified to answer general questions about benefits, carer's allowance, running businesses etc.

As you say - there is a mountain of paperwork and bureaucracy to negotiate. I found that the best thing is to tackle it all one step at a time and not try to deal with it all at once as it can be overwhelming.

After many years out here I still haven't got it all right - doubt I ever will, but life goes on
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

You think my post was doom and gloom ? I would hate to be trying to live on less than I have with less than my limited spanish. I would not choose to do so. I am sorry my effort to reply to your post was a waste of time.

I 'bother' to stay because I want to, I don't have a business to run, I have been here a while and my late husband had everything set up long before I became his wife. Life could no doubt be easier in many ways back in Scotland but I like it here and am trying my hardest to make it work me. It is hard work.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

No not yours by its self but the major part of most replys I have had have been some what on the negative side, and that does nothing to help me. Im not going to be writing or replying to any other posts anymore. thanks to all the private messages they truley were very helpful to us. but a lot of wha t\i read on these forums contricts another post, so its hard to really know whats what, I mean I read one that said come down say nothing, enjoy, helpful?? thanks anyway

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
You think my post was doom and gloom ? I would hate to be trying to live on less than I have with less than my limited spanish. I would not choose to do so. I am sorry my effort to reply to your post was a waste of time.

I 'bother' to stay because I want to, I don't have a business to run, I have been here a while and my late husband had everything set up long before I became his wife. Life could no doubt be easier in many ways back in Scotland but I like it here and am trying my hardest to make it work me. It is hard work.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

No not yours by its self but the major part of most replys I have had have been some what on the negative side, and that does nothing to help me. Im not going to be writing or replying to any other posts anymore. thanks to all the private messages they truley were very helpful to us. but a lot of wha t\i read on these forums contricts another post, so its hard to really know whats what, I mean I read one that said come down say nothing, enjoy, helpful?? thanks anyway
Hence the posters (and there are a lot of them) who helpfully
advise that anyone considering a move to Spain - unless they have a home they do not need to sell in the UK and a tidy sum to help them return if they ultimately decide to - anyone and everyone should come over for as long a period as possible living in rented accommodation, possibly in more than one area, possibly in both country and town, to judge for themselves before burning any bridges. Other advice you can store and consider and weigh up once you've seen a bit to help you form your own opinions. But 'try before you buy' is the best adage.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Good luck to whatever you do

I understand what people are saying but it seems to be a fashionable thing to jump on the negativity band wagon. I know dozens upon dozens of people in spain doing we'll for themselves even new people moving out.

I myself don't see it as bad as people on this forum seem to see it.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:18 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Before you disappear altogether you really should ask yourself why people say what they are saying!??? No one is trying to be deliberately unkind. They are simply telling you how it is. When I came here I was full of hope and read the negative replies on forums with derision "what to they know, why are they so negative??" I now know!!! Its hard, very hard. Living here is nothing like the dream! I love it, but its nothing like I thought it would be. So ask yourself why you want to come here and why you think people are negative!??

Jo xxx
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:28 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

We love our life here and even though we have major problems now which stop us from having the retirement that we thought we were going to have we do not regret our choice. However, we have always said and still say that we would not move here if we had to rely on earning a living.

Rosemary
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:12 pm

Quick question - how would you feel if everyone told you the streets were paved with gold, the fruit falls of the trees (well ok it does), the exchange rate was marvellous, as a Brit you would have the locals sweeping the pavement for you as as sail through. Then you came out to find that it wasn't true ??

I try to look at the doomsters as offering a bit of experience, they may have been caught out. They may also not want to share their "special place" with others !! I spent many years driving around in a grey painted war canoe, visiting some of the grot places of some countries. 5 years were spent out in the Far East in Singapore and Hong Kong, believe me, when you are 17 and you see a dead body floating in the harbour you start to grow up. Irrespective each is their own country, as this is the home for the Spaniards - although some Brits seem to think otherwise - and we are the Guiri's. Its just the same as being a Gwailo in Hong Kong.

Come to Spain, you will be treated as a leper by the locals and the Spaniards may be just as bad. But you will also make some very good friends who are proud of their country and are only too happy to share it with you.

lecture over, pass the cava

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.