British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving down to Anywhere in the Malaga area for good help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-down-anywhere-malaga-area-good-help-716871/)

suninthesky May 13th 2011 11:46 am

Moving down to Anywhere in the Malaga area for good help

Hello, My wife and I are moving down to Spain next year in January.

Because of disability for 33 years I have been on disability living allowance and will give it up upon leaving the UK, my wife as been my paid carer for 6 years. Together we have made a living self employed selling on eBay and amazon and record fairs selling our old vinyl records and VHS, and this will be what we will be doing when we arrive in Spain, it will be our only income, we have nothing else.

My questions concerns the actual arrival in Spain, we will be renting period, and I will need to set up self employment on arrival as a sole trader.

Do we have to pay this 231 euros a month that we have heard about that’s similar to national insurance in the UK, or what?

We need to know whats the best tax form of the three that would be best for us, because when we move down with our rent and our living expense I worry that we would be made to pay the wrong amount of tax under the 12 week system of tax payment, so given I think we will not earn no more than 1000 euros a month selling on ebay and maybe at local markets, what would be the best way of submitting out tax return out of the ones available.

We want to make sure we do the legal stuff correctly, so could someone tell me what We need to do with regards to setting myself up again in self employment on arrival, as painless as possible please.

to recap

Im 55 years old my wife is 49 years old

we expect to earn around a 1000 euros a month selling on ebay amazon and at record fairs

I am at moment on disability living allowance because of an inopbrable brain condition

We will only be renting we have no house to sell

I will need to be a sole trader so need to know the best way to apply to authorities

and details of what we need to pay each month wit regards to the 231 we have heard about that’s said to be payable by all ???

We have wanted to move to Spain for ages, and now with my health the way it is we feel I will benefit from the climate
we will be moving to the costa del sole / Malaga area somewhere.

thanks for any help and very best wishes to all

paintermujer May 13th 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Moving down to Anywhere in the Malaga area for good help

Originally Posted by suninthesky (Post 9361902)

Because of disability for 33 years I have been on disability living allowance and will give it up upon leaving the UK, my wife as been my paid carer for 6 years. Together we have made a living self employed selling on eBay and amazon and record fairs selling our old vinyl records and VHS, and this will be what we will be doing when we arrive in Spain, it will be our only income, we have nothing else.

My questions concerns the actual arrival in Spain, we will be renting period, and I will need to set up self employment on arrival as a sole trader.

Do we have to pay this 231 euros a month that we have heard about that’s similar to national insurance in the UK, or what?

We need to know whats the best tax form of the three that would be best for us, because when we move down with our rent and our living expense I worry that we would be made to pay the wrong amount of tax under the 12 week system of tax payment, so given I think we will not earn no more than 1000 euros a month selling on ebay and maybe at local markets, what would be the best way of submitting out tax return out of the ones available.

We want to make sure we do the legal stuff correctly, so could someone tell me what We need to do with regards to setting myself up again in self employment on arrival, as painless as possible please.

to recap

we expect to earn around a 1000 euros a month selling on ebay amazon and at record fairs

I am at moment on disability living allowance because of an inopbrable brain condition

I will need to be a sole trader so need to know the best way to apply to authorities

and details of what we need to pay each month wit regards to the 231 we have heard about that’s said to be payable by all ???

We have wanted to move to Spain for ages, and now with my health the way it is we feel I will benefit from the climate

I dont want to put you off but you will find the postage costs in Spain very very high and unless you send the items certificado(more money), its a bit of a gamble as to whether they will ever get to the destination.

I made an excellent living in the UK by selling on ebay.I have practically given up now cos either the postage is too high or the buyer makes a claim on item not delivered.

OH posted a small tube in a jiffy bag this week to his mum.It was very light and he had to pay 6 euros!!!!!!!!!Crazy prices. Even the people who work for the correos say its silly.

Not sure about boot sales though.We dont really have any here and the ones we have visited are more like meeting venues.

The southern part of Spain may have some different mailing companies,eg offex, though so check that out.

Good luck anyway.

gill556 May 13th 2011 12:27 pm

I can't really help you as I know nothing about this area. I would assume you wil;l have to pay the self employed tax which is about 250 euros per month plus vat plus a monthly accountanta fee u nless you learn to do the accounts yourself. If you have to pay this plus rent I can't see you having enough left over to live on. I am sure others will come along with better advice but do be sure that you have a good internet connection and a good postal system as not everywhere does. Good Luck to you both.

JLFS May 13th 2011 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by suninthesky (Post 9361902)

to recap

Will you have any other income besides the 1000 euros a month that you are expecting to earn?

Because if 1000k is your total, I dont think it will be possible to live on that amount in Spain.

JLFS May 13th 2011 12:32 pm

would it not be possible for you to come for a longish holiday, and see how the land lies, before you burn your bridges?

Rosemary May 13th 2011 12:40 pm

Hi Suninthesky,

Welcome to BE I am sure that with all of the knowledgeable people here you will receive answers to your questions. At the top of the page you will find a thread called free beer, this contains a lot of useful information that could help you.
The moderators for the Spanish forum are Mitzyboy and Fred James any problems or complaints should be directed to them.

Please let us know if you require any help at any time.

Graham and Rosemary.

pj-marbella May 13th 2011 12:42 pm

OK firstly if you reside in Spain for more than 3 months you will be considered a tax resident. If you are earning money, yes you will have to register as autonomo, choose your business sector and pay the minimum social security each month which is now around 250 euros. You will then need to submit quarterly accounts and pay 20% tax on profits and any IVA you have charged. Then you will have to do an annual tax return where you will pay any balance of tax or receive a refund of over paid tax.

Finding boot sales is not easy here as there simply are not many around. I assume your disabled allowance is from UK so you will also need to check what the situation is if you live outside of the UK.

If this is going to be your only source of income then I would reconsider your plans. It is a wonderful life here IF you have income.

Rosemary May 13th 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by pj-marbella (Post 9362002)
OK firstly if you reside in Spain for more than 3 months you will be considered a tax resident. If you are earning money, yes you will have to register as autonomo, choose your business sector and pay the minimum social security each month which is now around 250 euros. You will then need to submit quarterly accounts and pay 20% tax on profits and any IVA you have charged. Then you will have to do an annual tax return where you will pay any balance of tax or receive a refund of over paid tax.

Finding boot sales is not easy here as there simply are not many around. I assume your disabled allowance is from UK so you will also need to check what the situation is if you live outside of the UK.

If this is going to be your only source of income then I would reconsider your plans. It is a wonderful life here IF you have income.

Can I ask whether the 250 a month is per person or whether it covers a couple or a family.

Rosemary

JLFS May 13th 2011 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9362009)
Can I ask whether the 250 a month is per person or whether it covers a couple or a family.

Rosemary

It is for the person who is self employed.

It goes towards a pension too.

Cheers

lynnxa May 13th 2011 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9362009)

Rosemary

I think they mean the autonomo NI payment, so that's per worker & covers the family

it would also be rather more than that - it increases the nearer you get to retirement age

pj-marbella May 13th 2011 1:26 pm

It`s actually the minimum social security payment and yes, if you pay in long enough it will provide you with a state pension but it is per person, not a couple.

Importantly it also means that you will be able to use the Spanish healthcare system too.

Firstly before any of that you need to get a NIE number (your tax number). Without that you cannot do anything else. You will even need one to rent a property.

lynnxa May 13th 2011 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by pj-marbella (Post 9362063)
It`s actually the minimum social security payment and yes, if you pay in long enough it will provide you with a state pension but it is per person, not a couple.

Importantly it also means that you will be able to use the Spanish healthcare system too.

Firstly before any of that you need to get a NIE number (your tax number). Without that you cannot do anything else. You will even need one to rent a property.

it's per working person - so if one is working the husband/wife/kids are also covered

& yes, you do need a NIE - but you can rent property without one

& telefonica/movistar connected us with a passport number - less than 6 months ago

JLFS May 13th 2011 1:38 pm

Without wanting to be classed as a neghead, if we did a litlle budget, keeping things as near to the bone as possible without haveing to rummage in the bins, a very rought breakdown of expenses would be.

Rent of a one bed or studio 350
internet phone postage 80
national insurance 250
transport 50
car tax and petrol 80
electric 50

total 860

As yiou see it does not leave much for luxuries or even food.

Rosemary May 13th 2011 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9362088)
Without wanting to be classed as a neghead, if we did a litlle budget, keeping things as near to the bone as possible without haveing to rummage in the bins, a very rought breakdown of expenses would be.

Rent of a one bed or studio 350
internet phone postage 80
national insurance 250
transport 50
car tax and petrol 80
electric 50

total 860

As yiou see it does not leave much for luxuries or even food.

Great list and as you said cutting things to the bone.

When people rent is the water and sewage rates and the council tax always included or should this be allowed for too?

I keep on looking at your list and feel sure that we are both missing something apart from food but cannot come up with it?

Rosemary

snikpoh May 13th 2011 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9362120)
Great list and as you said cutting things to the bone.

When people rent is the water and sewage rates and the council tax always included or should this be allowed for too?

I keep on looking at your list and feel sure that we are both missing something apart from food but cannot come up with it?

Rosemary

Some do include it and some don't. I, for example, charge it as extra but then my rents are slightly lower to compensate for this.

What about insurance (car, contents etc.)? Gas bottles for heat and hot water?

As has been said, food is quite an expense.