Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving Direct Debits

Moving Direct Debits

Old Dec 27th 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving Direct Debits

We are looking at changing banks and are worried about our d.d's. This year we have had no end of problems with our current bank Banesto, the latest is getting a statement that shows we have paid the same water bill 5 times on the same day! seriously depleting our current account reserves.

Just how easy is it to move them between banks. Do we have to notify the companies concerned, in our case its only water and electricity and taxes that are paid from the account.

In the Uk this is so straightforward, but in Spain? As to the overpayment of direct debits, I can't imagine the water company are going to send the money back, leaving us with the headache of trying to get a refund from the bank.

Not easy to do when you are not very fluent in the language and it would have to be by phone as we are not back until March.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:28 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Direct Debits

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
We are looking at changing banks and are worried about our d.d's. This year we have had no end of problems with our current bank Banesto, the latest is getting a statement that shows we have paid the same water bill 5 times on the same day! seriously depleting our current account reserves.

Just how easy is it to move them between banks. Do we have to notify the companies concerned, in our case its only water and electricity and taxes that are paid from the account.

In the Uk this is so straightforward, but in Spain? As to the overpayment of direct debits, I can't imagine the water company are going to send the money back, leaving us with the headache of trying to get a refund from the bank.

Not easy to do when you are not very fluent in the language and it would have to be by phone as we are not back until March.

Firstly, have you tried speaking to the bank and mentioning that you are looking to move else where?

I'm with Banesto and have always found them to be very friendly and helpful (guess it's really just down to the staff).
Old Dec 27th 2010, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

As I said snikpoh its not that easy. We are in the UK until March. We have to attempt to communicate with them via telephone or maybe email about the overcharging (apparently there is atime limit to claiming money back) which is not going to be easy.

Our branch is in Torrevieja and we are 6o miles away, which is just another reason for moving to a bank that is closer to us. I'll maybe try a message to the head office rather than the branch. Its all the unknowns when dealing with them that makes things awkward.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 7:27 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this will work but it did for me.

I emailed my bank after a company took more than they should have from my bank and refused under Spanish Law (they said) to refund it. They said I could have another service instead.

I said in my email to the bank that it had been paid without my authorisation and I got it back in my account overnight, this was over three months after they took it.

Being clever I tried to cash in on my other service that would have been free and they said they never got paid, I was very surprised, it must take months to go through?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

NadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
As I said snikpoh its not that easy. We are in the UK until March. We have to attempt to communicate with them via telephone or maybe email about the overcharging (apparently there is atime limit to claiming money back) which is not going to be easy.

Our branch is in Torrevieja and we are 6o miles away, which is just another reason for moving to a bank that is closer to us. I'll maybe try a message to the head office rather than the branch. Its all the unknowns when dealing with them that makes things awkward.
If you have online banking you might be able to cancel the extra debit transactions. At least that's how it works for my Deutsche Bank account - when I login to online banking I can pick English as the language, and I can go to the page where all my recent direct debits are listed. If it is possible to cancel the direct debit there is a button or link next to it saying "Cancel" or "Reverse". I had to do this last year after I moved, when I discovered that I was still getting the utility bills for my old apartment debited to my account. I just cancelled the debits and the money was back in my account soon after.