Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to costa del sol advice please πŸ™

Moving to costa del sol advice please πŸ™

Old Dec 27th 2019, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Moving to costa del sol advice please πŸ™

Originally Posted by Be happy

cheers for advice much appreciated - we’ve been 25+ times in last 3 years at all times of the year. It will never be as cold as Scotland πŸ˜ƒ
but when it rains it rains. Its 18 there right now and 7 here. Tbh we will come home in summer as it will be too hot for us 😎
However, when you live here rather than just visiting, you soon become acclimatised to the higher temperatures - we now feel cold when it drops below 22C. There's a reason why all the locals are going about in coats and scarves whilst the tourists are in shorts and T-shirts!
Old Dec 27th 2019, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to costa del sol advice please πŸ™

Originally Posted by Lynn R
However, when you live here rather than just visiting, you soon become acclimatised to the higher temperatures - we now feel cold when it drops below 22C. There's a reason why all the locals are going about in coats and scarves whilst the tourists are in shorts and T-shirts!
Well that's why they will have the best of both worlds if they spend summers in Scotland.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

cheers - appreciate advice , yeah somewhere more rustic but near beach would be more appealing - any places you think worth checking out would be appreciated πŸ˜€
Rustic and near beach don't really go together on the Costa. Cabopino has the best beach along that stretch the others are more urban so balance that against local amenities. Further inland Coin is an interesting option but a drive to the beach.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Be happy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Rustic and near beach don't really go together on the Costa. Cabopino has the best beach along that stretch the others are more urban so balance that against local amenities. Further inland Coin is an interesting option but a drive to the beach.
ok cheers - thanks for that πŸ‘
Old Dec 27th 2019, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lynn R
lol I can’t imagine it but I know it’s true.
we felt hot here yesterday at 6 degrees as that mild. Had window open last night πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Old Dec 27th 2019, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Well that's why they will have the best of both worlds if they spend summers in Scotland.
well that’s the plan - we can’t decide on down sizing here and renting during winter in Spain or having home in Spain and renting here in summer ....
baring in mind our weather can be miserable so the time in Scotland would be less what ever way we do it ...
Old Dec 27th 2019, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Costa del sol : The land of the full English breakfast...The Britain you have when not having Britain...

Old Dec 27th 2019, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by m2m2012

Costa del sol : The land of the full English breakfast...The Britain you have when not having Britain...

lol. Very cynical - I hate full English breakfast πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
i used to have a negative view of costa del sol and I know lots do but we know lots of hidden gems and we’ve toured about down to Tarifa , benahavis, Ronda, and regularly for exploring ; CΓ³rdoba, Cadiz, Granada, Seville, I love Barcelona too in particular Sitges and enjoy driving that coast down to Salou.

I would actually prefer to live in Puliga πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ (no difference) but Italy is not as accessible for Scottish flights and Malaga airport has great flights and prices for our families to visit regularly.

ive only been to Fuengirola / Benalmadena once in the 25-30 times I’ve been out and tbh it’s not what I want - as I don’t want to be a tourist and feel it is too touristy for me. I prefer to eat where Spanish people eat etc and learn the language.
I chose Costa del sol for the climate and golf. Not going to say it’s best place in Spain as I’m sure it’s not and I have travelled a lot in Spain but it ticks most boxes for us. Murcia would be a much cheaper option but we know marbella area better and personally feel infrastructure better for us πŸ‘
not to say we won’t change our minds πŸ˜€
it’s fun planning and learning from you guys that have took plunge πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‘
Old Dec 27th 2019, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

Be Happy,

Might I suggest you consider Nerja. In the peak summer season it does become tourist busy but for the rest of the year we love the town. It retains a lot of the Spanish charm, loads and I mean loads of great restaurants. You can find more rural places in the hills that seem to be reasonably priced but as many have said rent before commiting to buy.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

lol. Very cynical - I hate full English breakfast πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
i used to have a negative view of costa del sol and I know lots do but we know lots of hidden gems and we’ve toured about down to Tarifa , benahavis, Ronda, and regularly for exploring ; CΓ³rdoba, Cadiz, Granada, Seville, I love Barcelona too in particular Sitges and enjoy driving that coast down to Salou.

I would actually prefer to live in Puliga πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ (no difference) but Italy is not as accessible for Scottish flights and Malaga airport has great flights and prices for our families to visit regularly.

ive only been to Fuengirola / Benalmadena once in the 25-30 times I’ve been out and tbh it’s not what I want - as I don’t want to be a tourist and feel it is too touristy for me. I prefer to eat where Spanish people eat etc and learn the language.
I chose Costa del sol for the climate and golf. Not going to say it’s best place in Spain as I’m sure it’s not and I have travelled a lot in Spain but it ticks most boxes for us. Murcia would be a much cheaper option but we know marbella area better and personally feel infrastructure better for us πŸ‘
not to say we won’t change our minds πŸ˜€
it’s fun planning and learning from you guys that have took plunge πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‘
Sitges is very nice and also driven down to Salou but the traffic can be mental. Our place is around 80 km before Barcelona but I try to avoid Barcelona most of the time:-). Ireland is probably a bit easier with the car than Scotland, so I usually prefer taking the ferry.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Sitges is very nice and also driven down to Salou but the traffic can be mental. Our place is around 80 km before Barcelona but I try to avoid Barcelona most of the time:-). Ireland is probably a bit easier with the car than Scotland, so I usually prefer taking the ferry.
we really want to go by Ferry too. Seems really expensive but we will do it as lots of places we want to explore on way down 😎
Old Dec 27th 2019, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NABman
Be Happy,

Might I suggest you consider Nerja. In the peak summer season it does become tourist busy but for the rest of the year we love the town. It retains a lot of the Spanish charm, loads and I mean loads of great restaurants. You can find more rural places in the hills that seem to be reasonably priced but as many have said rent before commiting to buy.
Nerja is on our list to check out. I’d really like to be near the sea. I feel that’s the most important thing for me to make this move. I’d rather drive to mountains than vice versa. πŸ‘
Old Dec 27th 2019, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

we really want to go by Ferry too. Seems really expensive but we will do it as lots of places we want to explore on way down 😎
Flying is certainly always cheaper but then again you don't need a hire car and can bring food and drink back. We usually go from Ringaskiddy to Roscoff and I think we paid around €340 (return) for 2 people and cabin last time. Then you also have to calculate petrol and tolls depending on route but I prefer driving anyway. Our place is 1 hour from the French border, so not too far.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Flying is certainly always cheaper but then again you don't need a hire car and can bring food and drink back. We usually go from Ringaskiddy to Roscoff and I think we paid around €340 (return) for 2 people and cabin last time. Then you also have to calculate petrol and tolls depending on route but I prefer driving anyway. Our place is 1 hour from the French border, so not too far.
cheers - food for thought πŸ‘
Old Dec 27th 2019, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by m2m2012
Someone told me a good way to choose a place to live in Spain is to walk around town for half a day and count the number of times you see the words "Full English Breakfast". You then apply a three strikes you're out policy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.