Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving To Costa de La Luz in a few weeks

Moving To Costa de La Luz in a few weeks

Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Yvonne King will become famous soon enoughYvonne King will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving To Costa de La Luz in a few weeks

Originally Posted by Mark1983
well that all sounds quite promising, do you know if the area is nice? good neighbourhood? also what sort of internet services are available? what type of speeds are there?
Good luck to you - I hope it all works out well for you.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:59 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Just been looking on the Orange.es website and it looks as though they are offering 6 months at €10 per month and a free wifi router!

I am finding out for sure tomorrow if the phone line in the property can take ADSL, as long as it can then I am booking my ferry for the beginning of May to come over.

Brought a car today for the trip over, this may sound like a silly question but do I need to tax it if I am driving in Spain? is there a tax I pay to the Spanish government?

Saucepan - would be great to play football when I come over sounds awesome!

Also found an amazing labrador cross that needs a home, the only trouble is that there is 2 of them and I really dont think I could choose which one!
You know you want the chocolate puppy because I read your post on the other forum. On the car front I have pm´d you the number of a guy that can answer all your questions on importing a car into Spain.

Take care and welcome, when you arrive, to the Costa de la Luz

JJ
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:27 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

In answer to the car question -

As a european citizen you are allowed to use your car to drive to any european country for a holiday so long as it is legal to use it in its country of registration.

So if you can not use it legally in the UK (no road tax) then you can not use it anywhere else either!

Ditto for insurance, MOT, and anything else the Police here can think of when they are having a bad day.

To import your car without having to pay "import duty" it has to be one of your "goods & chattels" and you must have owned it for a minimum of six months. You must also complete the transfer to Spanish registration within 60 days of arriving here

Davexf

Last edited by Dxf; Apr 15th 2009 at 4:28 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:43 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Dxf

It was your number I pm´d him with.

JJxx
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:52 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks jjh, I put the note for all to see - there are a lot of misconceptions about owning a vehicle abroad

Davexf
Old Apr 15th 2009, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Saucepan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjh
I know him and also his wife. They are very reliable people.
The owner Andrew is a really nice chap and they also have a two gardeners / "odd job" men who carry out all the maintenance work on the properties they look after, so they should be able to sort out your ADSL line.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saucepan
The owner Andrew is a really nice chap and they also have a two gardeners / "odd job" men who carry out all the maintenance work on the properties they look after, so they should be able to sort out your ADSL line.
wouldn't that be against some sort of union rule, perhaps?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Mark1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the tips on the car, I will ensure that I have all documents with me at all times and that the car has insurance/mot/tax etc.

Well it is official! today I signed my lease for the property and ADSL will be installed within the next 2 weeks!

I am booking my ferry from Portsmouth to Santander for May 6th, 3 weeks from today and then driving the remaining 10 hours.

I really can not thank you all enough for your help and advice, as most, if not all of you already know, it is a huge commitment and decision to move to Spain, your advice and information has helped me greatly and who knows, maybe I will bump into you one day soon at the Lemon Tree!

Thank you again everyone!

Excitment now starting to kick in!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

wendy willis is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the tips on the car, I will ensure that I have all documents with me at all times and that the car has insurance/mot/tax etc.

Well it is official! today I signed my lease for the property and ADSL will be installed within the next 2 weeks!

I am booking my ferry from Portsmouth to Santander for May 6th, 3 weeks from today and then driving the remaining 10 hours.

I really can not thank you all enough for your help and advice, as most, if not all of you already know, it is a huge commitment and decision to move to Spain, your advice and information has helped me greatly and who knows, maybe I will bump into you one day soon at the Lemon Tree!

Thank you again everyone!

Excitment now starting to kick in!
Good luck Mark! We move to Esuri end of July. Can't wait.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:55 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

One piece of advice if I may. Remember that 70% of expats return within 3 years, or so they say. Apart from the usual problems like loss of work, family probs etc etc, then lack of integration is the biggest killer. Make a big effort to learn the language and integrate with your Spanish neighbours. There is supposed to be a period after 6 months when depression can set in as the novelty wears off, and you realise you are on unfamiliar ground.
I'd suggest visiting websites where they have sections on expats returning to the UK. See what mistakes some of them have made, and take steps to avoid following in their footsteps.

Oh yes, another point. Copy what the Spanish do where sensible. They usually do it for a reason. DON'T try and live an English life. For example, in Summer, never allow the sun to shine into the house, keep the windows and doors shut all day, and open all the windows as soon as the sun goes in (keep mosquito screens on the windows) shutting them as soon as you get up. That can save you a fortune in air con.

Lotsa luck with the move. We are over near Vejer de la Fra which is a very pretty little hilltop pueblo.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

CharlieYork is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,

I'm moving to Chiclana in August with my boyfriend (Spanish) - El Marquesado - and I'm a Spanish teacher (work in a secondary school near York at the moment). If you need lessons give me a shout....

Hope it's all going well and things are getting sorted for you. I may just have to pick your brains about the internet situation....

Charlie
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:44 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hi

Contact me if you have problems, or use "www.Mycadiz.biz".

Basic option are Telefonica ADSL if you have a telephone line, or any other supplier but you may have troubles getting a response if you have a line problem.

No Telephone then a company called Interlink España do a radio link package, or all the mobile operators supply a 3G dongle

Dave
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

CharlieYork is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Dave. Am starting to panic a bit now
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Mark1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

ADSL and telephone line are in place and I am all booked to come out a week Wednesday.

Just wondered if anyone knows of a good private Spanish tutor? I would like frequent lessons 3 times a week if possible, does anyone know anyone that offers house visits?

CharlieYork, as soon as I am out there I can confirm for you how good the internet is and how easy it was to get going.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:21 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hi Mark1983,

Yes I go to a college in town; I have a "one on one" i.e. I am the only one in the class.
If they can teach an old duffer like me, then they can teach anybody.

If you really need house visits then there are private individuals that will do it.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.