British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving to Cabo Roig - advice. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-cabo-roig-advice-890502/)

King Charlie Jan 22nd 2017 7:48 pm

Moving to Cabo Roig - advice.

Hello,

Me (44) and the Missus (34) are seriously contemplating moving to Spain, namely Cabo Roig, this year.
We plan to hire a car and rent a Townhouse/villa. I work offshore (3 weeks on, 4 weeks off) and the Missus would take care of the bairns (girl (3) and boy (1)) and the dog. So we wouldn't be looking for work. We've lived in Ireland and the UK (also the Middle East) and are sick of the weather, standard of living and rising costs/taxes that squeeze tighter year on year.
So back to moving; could anybody in the area please give us an idea of the costs associated with renting in Cabo Roig? We're thinking 3 bed villa. Plus a hire car. Alongside this what are the "other costs" - i.e. Council Tax, Water, Gas, Electric, internet, phone, Satellite TV, schools, crèche, health insurance, grocery bills, eating out etc - generally the day to day expenses you encounter. Other than costs, our main reason for moving is to give the kids a better lifestyle - so are the schools decent? Hospitals? Is there plenty of clubs and activities for them? Moreover is Cabo Roig a nice place to settle, make friends and enjoy a healthier standard of living and a better quality of life than the UK. Sorry for all the questions and if I've repeated anything asked elsewhere I apologise. Cheers.

minouette Jan 25th 2017 3:07 pm

Re: Moving to Cabo Roig - advice.

Originally Posted by King Charlie (Post 12158475)
Hello,

Me (44) and the Missus (34) are seriously contemplating moving to Spain, namely Cabo Roig, this year.
We plan to hire a car and rent a Townhouse/villa. I work offshore (3 weeks on, 4 weeks off) and the Missus would take care of the bairns (girl (3) and boy (1)) and the dog....

I live (part time for the moment) in Cabo Roig. I find it a good place for both young and mature people, with plenty to do, lots of beaches and Sierra Nevada only 3 hours away for those who love skiing. Which I do.
My grandkids (4 and 2) are in the local school and nursery and the level of attention (no. of kids v. no. of teachers) is incomparable.
Re. your question on renting: I can recommend comansky, a local estate agent of good reputation, from what I know. Google them (Zenia agency) and ask for Christina.
Good luck!

spainrico Jan 27th 2017 12:37 pm

When you rent you don't pay 'council tax'

The local tax, IBI, is payable by the landlord.

Gas is not connected to many properties, they use only electricity, mind you gas is cheaper!

Many costs depend on your lifestyle, the problem now is if you are paid in pounds its low value to the Euro, that has increased Brit Expats living costs a lot.

There are a lot of Brits around Cabo Roig if you are looking for the genuine Spanish experience this may not be the right area.

Good luck.

keithBT Jan 27th 2017 5:35 pm

Hi Charlie, I used to have a house near cabo roig, but I sold up because it all became too busy for my liking. There was already a good shopping centre/mall in Torrevieja and then a new one appeared at La Zenia with the usual primark, Leroy Merlin etc. It just grew so much beyond recognition. The coast road became a stationery car park in high season and lots of nice traditional places closed down. If you like a huge ex-pat area with loads of english bars & resto's then you will feel at home and love it. I didn't. IF you like a slower quiet way of life, but with lots of nationalities you might want to consider Ayamonte / Huelva area. It has its own forum on this site. It also has the beauty that you can shoot between Spain & Portugal. We love it and there is a significant difference between the two countries. Also in Spain you really do need to be able to get by with the language,but in Portugal almost everyone can speak english which at times can be useful. The OLD part of Cabo Roig south of the coast road ( N125 was it ?)probably still has some charm, but north of it could be anywhere in Europe. I would do some travelling myself to suss out what is best for you.

wilsman77 Feb 6th 2017 1:06 pm

Hi King Charlie, I have a holiday home in Cabo, and its just the perfect location 20 mins from Murcia airport perfect beaches loads to do fantastic shopping centre (Zenia Boulevard) busy all year round and cheap as chips to eat and drink out. What more could you ask for.