British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving to Benidorm in my 20s (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-benidorm-my-20s-932196/)

Berenicer Apr 13th 2020 4:07 pm

Moving to Benidorm in my 20s

Hi everyone, I’ve been doing some research on this myself, but would really like and appreciate some extra advice. I’m currently 18 in college studying horsemanship which will be for two years, and I possibly could be doing another year of animal care. I’ve been looking into moving to Benidorm for awhile, it would be a dream home to me. However the move would not be easy because I have three cats, language barriers and of course the low wages. I’m from Ireland so moving within the EU shouldn’t me too much of a problem. I have been learning Spanish for the past few months and will be continuing to learn it for the next two to three years before possibly moving there, and I have a decent set of savings to support me for at least a year- a year1/2 rent out there. I would be looking for a relatively decent size place to make sure my cats have sufficient room. But I would obviously like to make myself enough to land myself back home after a year or two.. After several vaccinations to Spain I feel Benidorm is a safe place to live for a female my age, but obviously if you have any opinions on this let me know? I’m of course a bit concerned with the wages. I know bar work can sometimes pay only 4 euro an hour, so would there be any jobs available to be with my degree and having relatively little Spanish? Please know I’m not looking into this move as an “extended” holiday, I’ve always had a genuine interest in Spain and I have no interest in drinking etc. My cats are lead trained and I think it would be nice to sit out sometimes with them, but would people have problems with this out there? Thanks so much for reading, I appreciate any insight and opinions :) And of course any other place suggestions!

Opinion Apr 13th 2020 4:32 pm

Re: Moving to Benidorm in my 20s

My first question would be... why on earth would you choose Benidorm?

Berenicer Apr 13th 2020 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Opinion (Post 12838087)

I didn’t come here to be questioned on my choices.. Just some friendly advice will do, ta.

Opinion Apr 13th 2020 4:36 pm

That was a genuine question. I actually admire the fact that you've done some research, have some savings and have a plan- that's better than 95% of the people that post on here. But why Benidorm of all places?

Berenicer Apr 13th 2020 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Opinion (Post 12838096)
That was a genuine question. I actually admire the fact that you've done some research, have some savings and have a plan- that's better than 95% of the people that post on here. But why Benidorm of all places?

Thank you. I have visited Benidorm several times, my longest stay there was three weeks. The climate suits me, there is a good amount of English speaking people, bar work is plentiful if I couldn’t find a better job with my degree, and there is enough going on not to get overly bored. I live in a rural area with my family and my nearest neighbour is 10 minutes away from me, and I wouldn’t want to stay somewhere like this as somewhere to live. The cost of living is also reasonable to me, especially compared to where I live in Ireland currently. I have looked into the crime rates in Benidorm and it appears reasonably safe, mostly petty crimes, being a young female on my own this is important to me as I’m sure you can imagine. I also never encountered any problems when I was out there, in season and out of season.
I would consider other places in Spain if you could give me any suggestions so I could do some research into those, it would be appreciated, I know not everyone will see Benidorm as the best fit.

Opinion Apr 13th 2020 4:48 pm

My advice would be carry on being as smart as you are, but don't rule out other areas. I'm up the coast in Valencia City and I love it here.

Berenicer Apr 13th 2020 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Opinion (Post 12838105)
My advice would be carry on being as smart as you are, but don't rule out other areas. I'm up the coast in Valencia City and I love it here.

Thank you, I haven’t ruled out other locations, Benidorm is just the place I seem most comfortable with, with my research so far. I have only been looking into it properly for several months. I have a few more years until any decisions are set in stone yet :) Can I ask why you wouldn’t see Benidorm as the best fit? I’ll be taking notes on any opinions like these so I can look into them more.

Opinion Apr 13th 2020 5:11 pm

My experiences of Benidorm are that it's a pretty low budget holiday destination. Full to the brim with tourists in the summer, popular place for hen and stag doo's and has a lot of Brits living there. As I said, I live up the coast in Valencia City, so my experiences are based on going there to visit my other half's family when they've holidayed there.

Berenicer Apr 13th 2020 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Opinion (Post 12838116)
My experiences of Benidorm are that it's a pretty low budget holiday destination. Full to the brim with tourists in the summer, popular place for hen and stag doo's and has a lot of Brits living there. As I said, I live up the coast in Valencia City, so my experiences are based on going there to visit my other half's family when they've holidayed there.

I understand, thank you.

mikelincs Apr 13th 2020 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Berenicer (Post 12838157)
I understand, thank you.

There are plenty of nicer places just a few miles from Benidorm, close enough to go for the evening, but without the huge influx of tourists, places like Altea, Albir spring to mind.

Berenicer Apr 13th 2020 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12838179)
There are plenty of nicer places just a few miles from Benidorm, close enough to go for the evening, but without the huge influx of tourists, places like Altea, Albir spring to mind.

Thank you, Altea has crossed my mind..

mikelincs Apr 13th 2020 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Berenicer (Post 12838183)
Thank you, Altea has crossed my mind..

Albir is the beach side part of Altea, separate places but always looked on as almost one place. Plenty of places in Albir to rent, and when we were there they weren't too expensive. Nice promenade walks there as well.

Berenicer Apr 13th 2020 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12838228)
Albir is the beach side part of Altea, separate places but always looked on as almost one place. Plenty of places in Albir to rent, and when we were there they weren't too expensive. Nice promenade walks there as well.

Thats so fascinating, I have visited Altea several times and never knew the beach side was known as Albir. I will look into it, thank you.

tebo53 Apr 13th 2020 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Opinion (Post 12838087)

Opinion....

I won't enter into any discussion with you about Benidorm as a desirable place to live or not as the OP has made her choice for now. It is always up to the individual to make informed decisions about their future based on reliable information about the city and the likelihood of making a future for herself.

I live in Benidorm and many people, single, married and families come to live here. The area I live is on the outskirts of the town and can be deathly quiet at times especially at night. The club area is 20 min walk away. There are many areas away from "club land" where you can spend time relaxed in splendid restaurants etc.

Its unfair to give the OP a biased and an uninformed opinion. I do agree that it's well worth exploring the other local towns as they to have plenty to offer. Albir, Altea, Alfaz, La Cala and Finestrat are all only a short bus ride away.

To the OP.... I'll be happy to accept any PM's

Steve
​​​​​​​

Berenicer Apr 14th 2020 12:17 am

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 12838276)
Opinion....

I won't enter into any discussion with you about Benidorm as a desirable place to live or not as the OP has made her choice for now. It is always up to the individual to make informed decisions about their future based on reliable information about the city and the likelihood of making a future for herself.

I live in Benidorm and many people, single, married and families come to live here. The area I live is on the outskirts of the town and can be deathly quiet at times especially at night. The club area is 20 min walk away. There are many areas away from "club land" where you can spend time relaxed in splendid restaurants etc.

Its unfair to give the OP a biased and an uninformed opinion. I do agree that it's well worth exploring the other local towns as they to have plenty to offer. Albir, Altea, Alfaz, La Cala and Finestrat are all only a short bus ride away.

To the OP.... I'll be happy to accept any PM's

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks so much.
this responder did give me their valid opinion in a few later replies, but thanks for standing up for me :)
If it is okay, I’ll give you a pm tomorrow with a few questions.
Berenice