Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barcelona

Moving to Barcelona

Old May 4th 2017, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Amypoppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Barcelona

Hi, my family and I are moving to Barcelona in July this year.
We are planning to live around "Horta Gunardo" (El Carmel). We have been looking at flats to buy. I have two girls 7 and 9 years of age. So really looking for a quiet area with good schools near by.
Anyone knows of this area and can give me more information about it please?

Thanks Amy
Old May 4th 2017, 9:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Barcelona

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 5th 2017, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amypoppy
We are planning to live around "Horta Gunardo" (El Carmel). We have been looking at flats to buy. I have two girls 7 and 9 years of age. So really looking for a quiet area with good schools near by.

Thanks Amy
Can't comment based on personal experience but seems to be a nice area for families and just depends how you want to live. Also big area, so will depend on street/exact location of property. As always just be careful buying until you really know the place. A lot of places can look great on paper but if you end up living in a crappy apartment with loud neighbours the story is different.
Old May 5th 2017, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Ok, thanks for the advice.Do you live in Barcelona?
Old May 5th 2017, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Have a chat with this lot: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1379936052035898/

Not many on this forum live in Barcelona as far as I am aware so you may be better with the link.
Old May 5th 2017, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks for the advice.Do you live in Barcelona?
Have a place 80km away near Costa Brava and friends who live/lived in Barcelona directly but as mentioned not too many people on this forum from the area.

I try to avoid bigger cities personally but there's nothing wrong with the area if you are looking for quieter area of city. As mentioned, best look for yourself and visit at different times before buying and one persons paradise is another persons nightmare.
Old May 6th 2017, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

tabbicat is an unknown quantity at this point

I've known people who lived there and they were happy enough. It's very hilly in parts and can seem quite far from the centre. It's quieter than some areas, but that can have its downside as it may be less safe walking home late at night than in busier areas like the centre.
I looked at flats in that area some years ago as it was more affordable. However, as a single person I decided against the area. It's probably okay for a family. Might be a good idea to rent before buying though.
Old May 8th 2017, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Barcelona for years - my wife is from there, and I'm back 4 times a year. (Her family still live near to Alfons X metro)

Horta-guinardo is a pleasant enough barrio in the city. It is pretty hilly so keep that in mind - it can be a bit of a hike from the metro to some of the areas. I personally would stay away from anywhere near the "ronda de dalt" purely because of traffic noise but it is fundamentally safe (the further east you go from there...the less safe it gets)

I would recommend going and renting for a year before you put down anything on an apartment - and take your time. There are other areas of the city worth exploring with similarly priced apartments that are better connected to the rest of the city. My personal favorite area is the next Barrio down - Sagrada familia (yes it has the church and tourists, but they only stick around 2 blocks). It's walkable to the city area, plus is walkable to Gracia with a lot of restaurants and a fantastic barrio fiesta every August.

As for schools - will you be using an international school or a state school? The state education is fantastic, but is completely in Catalan with some English and some Spanish. It'll be GREAT for their fluency, but will hamper your ability to help them, so they will need tutors after school for a while.
Old May 8th 2017, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Sarah2911 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Amy
Hi Amy,

I just came across your thread and was wondering how you got on with your move? I am considering the move myself and have 2 boys ages 7 and 8. So schools are my main concern.

Thank you for your time,

Best wishes,

Sarah
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 4:40 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah2911
Hi Amy,

I just came across your thread and was wondering how you got on with your move? I am considering the move myself and have 2 boys ages 7 and 8. So schools are my main concern.

Thank you for your time,

Best wishes,

Sarah
As the poster has not been on the forum since May 2017 I suspect that you will not gain an answer to your question.

Rosemary
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi
The girls have just completed their first year in school and they absolutely loved it.
As soon as you move to Barcelona, you need to register your kids ASAP because you have to wait for some time for an appointment with the education office. We had to wait 10 days and this was when the school year had already started. Then after we had our appointment we had to wait for another week to find out what school they got.
Luckily we got one of the best schools in the area we live in. I am very happy with the outcome, I just don’t like the siesta, when they finish at 12:30 to go home for lunch and then go back for 3 for just one hour and a half of classes.
Hope this helps
Old Aug 4th 2018, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Sarah2911 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Amy,

Thank you for getting back to me, i really appreciate it. I have just been offered a great job and looking to move by October- when the school year will already have started.
We were also in the Middle East for the last 5 years- and my boys loved it. They were in an international school.
I am divorced and will be doing this on my own. I have looked at renting an apartment in Barcelona and other areas like Sitges- the rents are particularly high in Barcelona and I would prefer a house rather than an apartment. But would we be better staying in Barcelona for the first year?
I'm torn between the international schools and the semi state schools. Neither of my children have the language- I have conversational Spanish. How did your children manage academically?

Thank you again Amy, any advice would be great!
Old Aug 6th 2018, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Your welcome Sarah!
I live in Badalona, we found the homes here cheaper than Barcelona. Check it out. The schools are good here too. My girls go to a regular school and coped really well learning Spanish and Catalan from scratch.
They got extra help from the teachers learning the languages. Both got excellent school reports.
im here to give more advice if you need it