Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK from Spain

Moving back to the UK from Spain

Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving back to the UK from Spain

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Why Alicante?
Presumably because he will have the greatest choice of flights to London from that airport, assuming they want to live in Costa Blanca. Remember, Ryanair pulled out of Valencia for a while a year or so ago ...

My husband commutes all over Europe for work and we live within one hour of Gatwick and Heathrow in UK and bought within an hour of Alicante so that when we move out to Spain it will be a similar journey time ...
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

elainel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missile
There are many nice areas around Alicante. The area is well serviced with good primary, secondary and universities.

Alicante is a huge diverse region. You need to make up your mind on your priorities and narrow your search.
What age are your kid(s)?
Do you mean spanish or international schools?
My husband Has to fly into alicante as his company pays the flights so we need to be 30 mins close to airport. we would like somewhere with quite a lot of british families but still with spainish feel. Close to primary and secondary international school. My children are 6 months 3 5 and 13. I would like to be near beach and shops and restaurants. I thought Guardamar and La Romana sounded lovely. what do you think
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by noelrosie
Presumably because he will have the greatest choice of flights to London from that airport, assuming they want to live in Costa Blanca. Remember, Ryanair pulled out of Valencia for a while a year or so ago ...

My husband commutes all over Europe for work and we live within one hour of Gatwick and Heathrow in UK and bought within an hour of Alicante so that when we move out to Spain it will be a similar journey time ...
Have you children? , do you think spain is a good choice we thought of Italy and South of France but after alot of research I think Spain is the better choice
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CBANDY
We are in a similar situation. I have recently been made redundant and cant see any chance of getting another job here. We have 2 young children who were both born here. our biggest problem is that we have a house and a mortgage. We have decided that we will not be able to sell the house in the cuurrent climate so were thinking of renting it out to cover the mortgage. Also, we are not sure where to go in the uk. I am from the west of Scotland and my wife is from Leeds. I think Leeds would be better in regards to work but we would have more family in Scotland as my inlaws live here in Spain. We just dont know where to start.
Do you want to house swop and live in Northern Ireland we will rent your house !! only joking I am sure the last thing you need is to come here jobs are so hard to get that is why my husband works in London . I think jobs are hard to get everywhere but maybe Scotland is a bit better than Ireland
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elainel
My husband Has to fly into alicante as his company pays the flights so we need to be 30 mins close to airport. we would like somewhere with quite a lot of british families but still with spainish feel. Close to primary and secondary international school. My children are 6 months 3 5 and 13. I would like to be near beach and shops and restaurants. I thought Guardamar and La Romana sounded lovely. what do you think
I don't know those areas - we're about an hour north of Alicante in Javea & a lot of my friends have hubbys who commute to the UK & elsewhere - including mine!

for the 13 year old you would be best advised to look for a private International school with a British curriculum - the 3 year old would be fine in state school

maybe start a new thread with your questions?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:00 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elainel
Guardamar is a little more than 30 minutes from Alicante airoport. Very popular with spanish tourists from Madrid. It has a thriving weekly market, very clean beaches and an excellent marina. There is are spanish primary and secondary schools and the nearest international school is less than 10 minutes away in Ciudad Quesada.

La Romana is nowhere near the coast. It is circa 1 hour from the airport. It is an inland urbanisation with few facilities and quite isolated. The nearest towns are Novelda which has a school and Aspe. Both of those towns are very spanish. There are quite a few Brit families living in the "hondons". I don't think that is what you are looking for? If you search you will see some comments from a.n.other regular poster, who did not enjoy Aspe.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Guardamar is a little more than 30 minutes from Alicante airoport. Very popular with spanish tourists from Madrid. It has a thriving weekly market, very clean beaches and an excellent marina. There is are spanish primary and secondary schools and the nearest international school is less than 10 minutes away in Ciudad Quesada.
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...um/8289752.jpg

La Romana is nowhere near the coast. It is circa 1 hour from the airport. It is an inland urbanisation with few facilities and quite isolated. The nearest towns are Novelda which has a school and Aspe. Both of those towns are very spanish. There are quite a few Brit families living in the "hondons". I don't think that is what you are looking for? If you search you will see some comments from a.n.other regular poster, who did not enjoy Aspe.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9588838
Thank you so much very helpful )
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

My children are now grown up and have left home ... however I had twenty years of waiting for him to fly back from goodness knows where on a Friday night and take the first flight out on a Monday.

In our experience, it worked well, but time together was so precious a delay of even half an hour, or no flights home from a particular city on Friday until late evening, which meant him coming indoors at midnight, felt dreadful at the time. Wherever you move to, make sure it is as close to an airport as feasibly possible, and that the Spanish airport you choose has many excellent connections to whichever London airport is easiest for him to get to after he has done a week's work!

I agree with Lynnxa that Javea might be a good choice for a Spanish base for your family, as it is known to have good schools etc., a nice expat community and is pretty much equidistant from Alicante or Valencia airport.

Good luck with your move
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:15 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

My children are now grown up and have left home ... however I had twenty years of waiting for him to fly back from goodness knows where on a Friday night and take the first flight out on a Monday.

In our experience, it worked well, but time together was so precious a delay of even half an hour, or no flights home from a particular city on Friday until late evening, which meant him coming indoors at midnight, felt dreadful at the time. Wherever you move to, make sure it is as close to an airport as feasibly possible, and that the Spanish airport you choose has many excellent connections to whichever London airport is easiest for him to get to after he has done a week's work!

I agree with Lynnxa that Javea might be a good choice for a Spanish base for your family, as it is known to have good schools etc., a nice expat community and is pretty much equidistant from Alicante or Valencia airport.

Good luck with your move
and that's one reason we chose it
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by suziefloozie
We did not just move out to Spain on a whim it was something that was planned for a long time and in fact we paid a reputable (we thought at the time) relocation company to help us find the right area in spain to live based on my husband's business experience, schools for the kids, place for my mum to make friends & settle. We bought all our belongings in fact the whole house was moved over. We were not fortunate enough to be able to buy a property either (in some respects this is a godsend) now.
But when we first came here our business was booming like everyone elses.
So please dont tell me that we are going to sponge off the English system when we go back. I have worked all my life in the UK which is over 40yrs so why should I NOT be entitled to get some help from there?? I have never claimed a thing either during my life cos I have ALWays WORKED.

Have a heart some of you please!!
I do agree with you about that, I actually think the rules are wrong. We have full UK pensions and if we were to go back (which I don't think we will) we may not be entitled to use the health service.........With 40+ years stamps paid!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:56 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anna58
I do agree with you about that, I actually think the rules are wrong. We have full UK pensions and if we were to go back (which I don't think we will) we may not be entitled to use the health service.........With 40+ years stamps paid!
Of course you can use the health service
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Of course you can use the health service
if you go back to live there

but only for emergency treatment if there for a visit
Old Aug 27th 2010, 10:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anna58
going back to live you can use the NHS from day 1 completely free, going for a visit, you need the EHIC card, which covers emergency treatment only, anyone going back for a holiday should take out insurance to cover other bills like repatriation. Some UK holiday makers have been caught out by this, and I suppose it would be the same for people holidaying in the UK.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

If you are UK pensioners you will be able to receive the same treatment in the UK as if you live there.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...um/8289752.jpg

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9588838
Ummm.I think Im that other poster who lived in Aspe.

Please check that area carefully please. It may be perfect for some but was far from perfect for us.An absolute nightmare.

Still,all's well that ends well.

Why not try Valencia. We love it here and Ryanair serves Valencia airport.We can drive there in 15 mins.

Good Luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.