British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Moving back to the UK from Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/moving-back-uk-spain-677203/)

suziefloozie Jul 18th 2010 8:13 pm

Moving back to the UK from Spain

Due to the terrible job situation here in Spain we have now decided after 4 years to go back to the UK despite really not wanting to have to go. We love living here and it has been a brilliant life for both of us and our 2 kids who have learnt to speak spanish fluently. What a pity but we just cant seem to survive here financially. We have a small local (shop) where my husband repairs and sells computers but over the last 2 years business has dropped by half and I cant seem to find work to help boost his income. My kids are 6 & 10 so we are governed by school hours.

Anyway unfortunately we have nowhere to go back to so we were wondering what our entitlements are, ie benefits etc if any, after being away from the UK for 4 years?

The other difficulty too is we have my mother living with us who is 80yrs old in good health but this is another problem of ours to consider where is she going to live too!

We have virtually little or no family so we will obviously need a house and to find schools etc.

Will we get any sort of financial support from the goverment I wonder? We had our own property in the UK before and sold it and now have virtually nothing which is a great shame! All our savings have gone basically so we have been able to live here.

Our dream has now turned into a nightmare. How many times have we heard this??

jdr Jul 18th 2010 8:30 pm

Re: Moving back to the UK from Spain

Originally Posted by suziefloozie (Post 8710772)
Due to the terrible job situation here in Spain we have now decided after 4 years to go back to the UK despite really not wanting to have to go. We love living here and it has been a brilliant life for both of us and our 2 kids who have learnt to speak spanish fluently. What a pity but we just cant seem to survive here financially. We have a small local (shop) where my husband repairs and sells computers but over the last 2 years business has dropped by half and I cant seem to find work to help boost his income. My kids are 6 & 10 so we are governed by school hours.

Anyway unfortunately we have nowhere to go back to so we were wondering what our entitlements are, ie benefits etc if any, after being away from the UK for 4 years?

The other difficulty too is we have my mother living with us who is 80yrs old in good health but this is another problem of ours to consider where is she going to live too!

We have virtually little or no family so we will obviously need a house and to find schools etc.

Will we get any sort of financial support from the goverment I wonder? We had our own property in the UK before and sold it and now have virtually nothing which is a great shame! All our savings have gone basically so we have been able to live here.

Our dream has now turned into a nightmare. How many times have we heard this??

There is a forum on this site that may be of use, have a read through a few of the threads. http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

scampicat Jul 18th 2010 8:51 pm

To qualify for means-tested benefits such as Local Housing Allowance, Jobseekers' Allowance and Council Tax Benefit, you will need to pass the Habitual Residency Test.

Here is a Guide to the HRT that I wrote for www.moneysavingexpert.com

Habitual Residency Test for Returning Expats

If you have lived abroad and then return to the UK, and need to claim State Benefits then you will need to pass the Habitual Residency Test.

This involves proving that you intend to remain in the UK permanently for the forseeable future. This can be done by having a rental contract or mortgage offer, bank accounts, registering with a Doctor and Dentist, name on Electoral Roll etc. If you have maintained links with the UK whilst you've been abroad, such as registering as a non-resident voter, retaining a UK address or Bank Account etc, this will all count in your favour as it shows an intent to return.

It is possible for returning British Citizens to fail the HRT; I know someone it has happened to and he is not entitled to any Benefits as he has failed to convince the authorities that he is in the UK to stay.

http://www.multikulti.org.uk/habitua...ish/index.html

You will need to register with a NHS Doctor to receive NHS Healthcare.

See the link below for further information.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...eUK/DG_4000140

If you do fail the HRT, I think you have to wait six months before applying again. If you have property in Spain, this may be counted as an asset for the purposes of the means test.

Good luck!

sensationalfrog Jul 19th 2010 12:17 am

and i get slagged off for pointing out the sad situation these people (or people like them)are in on another thread
get real people there are thousands of brits that go thru this every year,most are stupid and gullible,as they lose there brains when talking to spanish estate agents but if i can stop 1 person from making the mistake i have seen hundreds do,then i will have done a good job
suzie,i wish you luck,if you had read and listened to my posts 4 years ago on the internet,maybe you would not be in the situation that you are in now,its lucky that you have england to go back to where society may support you

St. John Jul 19th 2010 6:25 am

Suzie, it is so sad to read your story - may I wish you the very best of luck for your future and that of your family.

JLFS Jul 19th 2010 6:47 am

[QUOTE=[COLOR="Red"]sensationalfrog;8711165]and i get slagged off for pointing out the sad situation these people (or people like them)are in on another thread
get real people there are thousands of brits that go thru this every year,most are stupid and gullible,as they lose there brains when talking to spanish estate agents but if i can stop 1 person from making the mistake i have seen hundreds do,then i will have done a good job
suzie,i wish you luck,if you had read and listened to my posts 4 years ago on the internet,maybe you would not be in the situation that you are in now,its lucky that you have england to go back to where society may support you
[/COLOR][/QUOTE

I have been saying the same thing too, but I hope a littler less brutal...:lol:

All sad stories, but a wake up call to others, espcially those with children who want to come to Spain by sellin the faimily silver.

I dont think that British people have the mindset that, unlike the UK, Spain does not step in to help when the going gets tough, wether you have children or not.

This type of story affects the British and causes more worry and stress than it does to other nationalities, because it is an alien concept that here is no obligation to feed and house the folks that have fallen on hard times, like in the UK, whereas most others from Morocco, Rumania, Russia, etc have never been given a bean in state help in their birth county anyway.

You are doing the right thing by going back, things may be tough at first and I wish you luck.:):)

lynnxa Jul 19th 2010 6:53 am

very sad indeed:(

and no less sad because it's so common at the moment

agoreira Jul 19th 2010 7:17 am

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 8711610)

I dont think that British people have the mindset that, unlike the UK, Spain does not step in to help when the going gets tough, wether you have children or not.

Agree, plus I think some go out with that all in mind, can't wait to leave UK, we'll give it go, and if it all goes tetas up, we can go back to UK and they'll look after us. Alas, the "what can I get out of UK" type posts are common, and getting more common all the time.

HBG Jul 19th 2010 7:40 am

[QUOTE=JLFS;8711610]

Originally Posted by [COLOR="Red"
sensationalfrog;8711165]and i get slagged off for pointing out the sad situation these people (or people like them)are in on another thread
[/COLOR][/QUOTE

I have been saying the same thing too, but I hope a littler less brutal...:lol:

All sad stories, but a wake up call to others, espcially those with children who want to come to Spain by sellin the faimily silver.

This type of story affects the British and causes more worry and stress than it does to other nationalities, because it is an alien concept that here is no obligation to feed and house the folks that have fallen on hard times, like in the UK, whereas most others from Morocco, Rumania, Russia, etc have never been given a bean in state help in their birth county anyway.

You are doing the right thing by going back, things may be tough at first and I wish you luck.:):)

I totally agree with this post and I always shudder when I hear of people bringing young children to Spain, unless they have ample financial resources not dependent on their new country. And I still shudder when I think of the immense pressures put on those children walking into a foreign school without knowing the language. I know the children adjust quickly, and I know that from personal experience, but it's not something they'll forget easily.

It's entirely different for people without children going to a new country. I always applaud their sense of adventure, irrespective of their age or financial circumstances, especially with a country like the UK to go back to should the wheel fall off.

I wish the OP well on her return to the UK, thousands have done it without too many problems.

JLFS Jul 19th 2010 8:07 am

A very good post HBG, I also it is great to have a spirit of adventure, but we all have limits placed on us by circumstances.

As you say with kiddies in tow, other aspects have to be taken into consideration before "adventure", ie stability and security and future prospects for education and future employment.

JnK Jul 19th 2010 8:36 am

So sorry to hear about your predicament Suzie, I do hope everything goes well for you back in the UK. At least you can always say you tried ... better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all. Good luck.:thumbup:

Fredthered Jul 19th 2010 9:31 am

Hi suzie
To be honest, I am aghast at your current situation.
It would be all too easy to be unsympathatic and use glib phrases like 'chickens finally coming home to roost ' etc. you having been fortunate(?) (well at least on the surface) to escape these rainy old shores, for climes more temperate for four whole years. Until that is, one is a little more charitable, and remember with what 'gusto' and optimism television programmes like ' Living in the Sun' and ' Passport to the Sun ' touted the 'ease' of living and working abroad, and how they talked down existing or future potential problems, in order to screen a credible television show.
You obviously are far from alone, in being encouraged by such heavily biased programmes to ' bet the farm ' on the illusion of 'paradise'.
My best piece of advice to you, with this current vile Conservative/Liberal hung Parliament in power, and cutting back 'benefits' everywhere, is:
' GET BACK YESTERDAY ! OR RUE THE DAY ! ' :eek:

Cheers
Fredthered

manamama Jul 19th 2010 9:56 am

Hi Suzie

You must be feeling so low at the moment..I feel for you.

Is it perhaps possible that your husband can return to the UK for work for a few months? He could just rent a room and work his socks off, then after a while he could find something to rent for you all.

Also, have you bought a property in Spain? perhaps a swop with someone in the UK for a while?

Just a couple of ideas...you´ve probably thought of these...sorry.. hope it all works out well...

Sorry don´t know about benefits in the UK..you´d definitely get something but may have to really rough it for a while.

suziefloozie Jul 19th 2010 10:19 am

We did not just move out to Spain on a whim it was something that was planned for a long time and in fact we paid a reputable (we thought at the time) relocation company to help us find the right area in spain to live based on my husband's business experience, schools for the kids, place for my mum to make friends & settle. We bought all our belongings in fact the whole house was moved over. We were not fortunate enough to be able to buy a property either (in some respects this is a godsend) now.
But when we first came here our business was booming like everyone elses.
So please dont tell me that we are going to sponge off the English system when we go back. I have worked all my life in the UK which is over 40yrs so why should I NOT be entitled to get some help from there?? I have never claimed a thing either during my life cos I have ALWays WORKED.

Have a heart some of you please!!

JnK Jul 19th 2010 10:26 am

Originally Posted by suziefloozie (Post 8712016)
We did not just move out to Spain on a whim it was something that was planned for a long time and in fact we paid a reputable (we thought at the time) relocation company to help us find the right area in spain to live based on my husband's business experience, schools for the kids, place for my mum to make friends & settle. We bought all our belongings in fact the whole house was moved over. We were not fortunate enough to be able to buy a property either (in some respects this is a godsend) now.
But when we first came here our business was booming like everyone elses.
So please dont tell me that we are going to sponge off the English system when we go back. I have worked all my life in the UK which is over 40yrs so why should I NOT be entitled to get some help from there?? I have never claimed a thing either during my life cos I have ALWays WORKED.

Have a heart some of you please!!

I wholeheartedly agree with you ... some people have a real hang up about people flooding into the UK and claiming benefits left right and centre... afraid some of the tabloids are to blame by spreading untruths about the situation. I don't think it's half as easy as it's made out for foreigners to just arrive in the UK and collect collect collect to the detriment of all the "true brits". Take no notice of them, I sincerely hope that things work out for you back there or maybe a miracle happens that will enable you to stay in Spain. Take care. :fingerscrossed: