Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK, but debts in Spain

Moving back to UK, but debts in Spain

Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Lichlad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK, but debts in Spain

Hi All.

We, after 3 years are moving back to the UK next month.
I wanted to ask about mobile phone contracts and what happens about them.

We both have a contract phone on Orange Spain, with at least a year still left.
Obviously we wont have the amount up front to settle the contract.
What would happen about that when we got back to the UK.
Would be be chased there for the remaining amount?

Also, if there was an outstanding amount of approx 200 euros on a bank credit card....what would the situation be with this?

If anyone can help shed any light, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:57 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK, but debts in Spain

I'm not an expert but I do know that tracing and debt collection agencies are hellishly expensive both in Spain and the UK. It would not make economic sense to chase a debtor in another country over a relatively small debt.

The major, cross-border agencies, usually upmarket private detectives, charge as much as £3,000 a day for their services, as well as a percentage of the monies recovered.

The minor players who just sit in front of their computers charge a lot less, but have a dismal success rate.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved here we still had 12 months left on a Vodaphone contract and we were told we had to honour it, or if we cancelled we had to pay the lot.

I kept it running in the end as I had Vodaphone passport, but I was assured I would be blacklisted for phones if I chose to just leave the debt behind. If that was true or not, I dont know
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info!!

Obviously I'd rather not leave any debts at all....but sometimes these things can't be helped!!

I'm sure Orange are not going to go under by loosing out on my contract money tho eh!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lichlad

I'm sure Orange are not going to go under by loosing out on my contract money tho eh!
Err ... thats not really the point though is it. If Orange decides to blacklist you then you wont get another contract phone anyway
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Err ... thats not really the point though is it. If Orange decides to blacklist you then you wont get another contract phone anyway
Yes, i get your point - but then I'm not going to be moving back out to take a contract with Orange Spain!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

When i left the UK and moved to spain i left a mobile phone contract behind with about 8 months to run on it, they told me to pay the remaining but i didnt, just cancelled the direct debit when i left. I'm back in the uk now and got a new phone contract as soon as i returned with no problems at all and never heard from the original company other than a couple of letters when i first left the UK.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Cajam31

I'm actually leaving Spain to go back to the UK, and I wont be returning here to live again so not too worried about a phone contract here again!!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

I would imagine they wouldnt bother chasing you for a small amount, its not gonna be a problem for you i suppose if you arent planning to return to spain to live.