Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving from Australia to Spain

Moving from Australia to Spain

Old Dec 1st 2015, 10:27 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
HappyHammer69's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 8
HappyHammer69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Australia to Spain

Hi,

I'm originally from the UK but have lived in Australia for 20 years. I am looking at moving to Spain with my wife (Australian) and my two kids who are 13 and 14 and have British passports.

I am interested in advice from anyone who has moved from Australia to Spain particularly in relation to schools and the transition from the Australian system to an International school teaching the British system. My kids will be in year 10 and year 8 next year when we are looking to move. I understand they may have to do an extra 6 months of schooling due to the different school years but interested in anyone who has experience moving teenagers from Oz to Spain.

Also interested in moving costs, whether people took there household stuff with them Furniture, Beds, Tools etc.

HH.
HappyHammer69 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2015, 11:02 pm
  #2  
 
Casa Santo Estevo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Galicia
Posts: 2,981
Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

The search shows a number of previous threads on this subject.
This one is a good place to start:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...newbie-867900/
Casa Santo Estevo is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 12:03 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
HappyHammer69's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 8
HappyHammer69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

Thanks for your reply.

I have searched the forum and I am reading the information provided but thought that I'd reach out to see if someone has made a similar move to the one we are planning. I'll continue to read the other threads but would also appreciate any feedback on moving kids from Australia to Spain.
HappyHammer69 is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 9:24 am
  #4  
Started off with nothing
 
missile's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,870
missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

Why do you wish to relocate?
missile is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 10:55 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
HappyHammer69's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 8
HappyHammer69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

Originally Posted by missile View Post
Why do you wish to relocate?
A whole host of reasons, pace of life, culture, food, climate, kids, access to Europe etc. etc. Did you have something more specific in mind?

HH.
HappyHammer69 is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 12:34 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,872
livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

Originally Posted by missile View Post
Why do you wish to relocate?
Why do you wish to know that Missile?Ive lived in Australia for 30 yrs.Relocated back to the UK a few years ago.Been to Spain numerous times and can definitely see its attraction!
livinginreality is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2015, 10:24 am
  #7  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Location: Los Montesinos
Posts: 204
Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

As you and your kids have British Passports there is no issue with you moving to Spain. However, if your wife has an Australian passport she will need a visa (not needed as a tourist) you may want to think about applying for a British passport for your wife first as it may make things in Spain a bit easier see link


Visas for Australian citizens travelling to Spain - Embajada de Australia








2 Other things
1. Health care - unless you plan to work (remember there is not a lot of work in Spain) and pay into the system you will NOT receive state health care and you will need private medical insurance. I think now when you apply for a "residencia" you need to prove you have adequate health care and funds etc.
2. Schools - if your children do not speak fluent Spanish then best consider and international school (you will have to pay). At the ages they are they will really suffer if you put them in a Spanish state school without the language.
Tadd1966 is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2015, 10:44 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
chrisjolly's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 843
chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

Originally Posted by HappyHammer69 View Post
Hi,

I'm originally from the UK but have lived in Australia for 20 years. I am looking at moving to Spain with my wife (Australian) and my two kids who are 13 and 14 and have British passports.

I am interested in advice from anyone who has moved from Australia to Spain particularly in relation to schools and the transition from the Australian system to an International school teaching the British system. My kids will be in year 10 and year 8 next year when we are looking to move. I understand they may have to do an extra 6 months of schooling due to the different school years but interested in anyone who has experience moving teenagers from Oz to Spain.

Also interested in moving costs, whether people took there household stuff with them Furniture, Beds, Tools etc.

HH.
Check your wife's situation first if she still has an Australian passport. My suggestion would be to sell your things in Australia and buy here when needed. Come and rent somewhere just to get an idea of how you will feel living here. It's very different from where you currently live. You will have to get private medical health care and private education for your children. Good luck..
chrisjolly is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2015, 3:52 pm
  #9  
 
Casa Santo Estevo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Galicia
Posts: 2,981
Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

Originally Posted by Tadd1966 View Post
As you and your kids have British Passports there is no issue with you moving to Spain. However, if your wife has an Australian passport she will need a visa (not needed as a tourist) you may want to think about applying for a British passport for your wife first as it may make things in Spain a bit easier see link

Visas for Australian citizens travelling to Spain - Embajada de Australia

2 Other things
1. Health care - unless you plan to work (remember there is not a lot of work in Spain) and pay into the system you will NOT receive state health care and you will need private medical insurance. I think now when you apply for a "residencia" you need to prove you have adequate health care and funds etc.
2. Schools - if your children do not speak fluent Spanish then best consider and international school (you will have to pay). At the ages they are they will really suffer if you put them in a Spanish state school without the language.
Not if one of the family are EU citizens.
European Union Citizens moving to Spain | AngloINFO Spain
So that raises the question is the OP now a Brit or an Aussie?
Casa Santo Estevo is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2015, 4:18 pm
  #10  
Started off with nothing
 
missile's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,870
missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

Originally Posted by livinginreality View Post
Why do you wish to know that Missile?Ive lived in Australia for 30 yrs.Relocated back to the UK a few years ago.Been to Spain numerous times and can definitely see its attraction!
just interested in what Spain has to offer for you and yours
missile is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2015, 7:04 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
chrisjolly's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 843
chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

Originally Posted by missile View Post
just interested in what Spain has to offer for you and yours
Started off with nothing! Spain has one of the best cultural experiences in the world which just keeps changing and getting better. What a marvellous place where architecture, music, dancing, food and wine are so important. Never mind the climate it's the vibrancy of the people and their way of life. I have never lived in such a wonderful country.
chrisjolly is offline  
Old Dec 6th 2015, 7:10 pm
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,255
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

Originally Posted by chrisjolly View Post
Started off with nothing! Spain has one of the best cultural experiences in the world which just keeps changing and getting better. What a marvellous place where architecture, music, dancing, food and wine are so important. Never mind the climate it's the vibrancy of the people and their way of life. I have never lived in such a wonderful country.
Sounds like a typical night out here in Ireland, but I'd include a good ale, or whisky LOL
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2015, 12:15 am
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
HappyHammer69's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 8
HappyHammer69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo View Post
Not if one of the family are EU citizens.
European Union Citizens moving to Spain | AngloINFO Spain
So that raises the question is the OP now a Brit or an Aussie?
That was my understanding too that my wife inherits my rights as an EU citizen. As far as I'm aware I remain a UK citizen, therefore an EU citizen despite having lived in Australia for 20 years?

HH.
HappyHammer69 is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2015, 12:20 am
  #14  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
HappyHammer69's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 8
HappyHammer69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from Australia to Spain

Originally Posted by Tadd1966 View Post
2 Other things
1. Health care - unless you plan to work (remember there is not a lot of work in Spain) and pay into the system you will NOT receive state health care and you will need private medical insurance. I think now when you apply for a "residencia" you need to prove you have adequate health care and funds etc.
2. Schools - if your children do not speak fluent Spanish then best consider and international school (you will have to pay). At the ages they are they will really suffer if you put them in a Spanish state school without the language.
Thanks Tadd1966 we had planned on private health care and an international school for the kids for the reasons you mention. Also I'm keen for them to have the option of going to Uni in the UK and the international schools teach the UK curriculum which will help with that.

HH.

Last edited by HappyHammer69; Dec 16th 2015 at 12:21 am. Reason: Typo
HappyHammer69 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.