Reload this Page >

Moving to Asturias - Gijon

Moving to Asturias - Gijon

Old Nov 1st 2014, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

SallyB1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Asturias - Gijon

Hi

My husband has recently accepted a job in oviedo and we are looking to move to Gijon in January. Just a bit nervous because I can't seem to find much information for expats. As I understand there isn't a very big expat community but with 2 young children and not speaking Spanish (yet!) it would be lovely to meet some other English speakers or have any information on toddler groups?

Thank you for any help/information!

Sally
Old Nov 1st 2014, 9:55 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Asturias - Gijon

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 1st 2014, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SallyB1980
Hi

My husband has recently accepted a job in oviedo and we are looking to move to Gijon in January. Just a bit nervous because I can't seem to find much information for expats. As I understand there isn't a very big expat community but with 2 young children and not speaking Spanish (yet!) it would be lovely to meet some other English speakers or have any information on toddler groups?

Thank you for any help/information!

Sally
I suppose the first question is why live in Gijon and not Oviedo? I know Gijon is coastal but being on the Bay of Biscay it does get some strong weather particularly in the winter.

You're correct that there are very few expats so far north and I think you will struggle to find a toddler group where English is spoken.

If you're kids are of toddler age then they will immerse themselves fully into a Spanish kids group very quickly and be will fluent before you know it.

A regular contributor on here lives in Oviedo and may be along shortly to give you the pros and cons of both places.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, will bear that in mind and have a look at properties in oviedo too.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Oviedo

I would recommend living in Oviedo if you are working in Oviedo. Gijon is very close (only 25km) but getting in and out of the two cities can be a pain. The two cities are both lovely although very different, some people prefer Oviedo, others prefer Gijon

In any case, at the weekend you can be in Gijon in 20 minutes or so and have those nice walks by the beach

I know of a couple of English people here, they tend to be English teachers, but actually most of the English people tend to be married to Spanish partners and so they and their children speak fluent Spanish

Learning Spanish has to be your priority as otherwise you will be excluded from everything. However, all the parents up here want their kids to speak English so as long as you can communicate in Spanish they will love to be speak to you and your children.

There is no such thing as toddler groups in Spain, even in Spanish nevermind in English. Children go to school from 3 years old and a lot of children are in nursery full time from 4 months old or have their grandparents looking after them. There are a couple of lefty groups who meet up with their children as long as you don't mind meeting up in squats And there is strong "pedagogia activa" group, but you need to speak very good Spanish

Another important aspect is whether you want to live in a house or a flat. We live in a flat because that way we are surrounded by shops and parks and so our children can play with other children whenever they want. If you live in a house you will have to drive everywhere and you will not feel quite as part of the community
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your post, eek I'm slightly scared at how quickly I need to learn Spanish! I think we have decided to go for a flat for the same reason you have. We're finding it difficult to find a 4 bedroom apartment though... Any suggestions - a local told us last week when we were out there that estate agents charge the tenants not the landlords their fees......
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SallyB1980
Thank you for your post, eek I'm slightly scared at how quickly I need to learn Spanish! I think we have decided to go for a flat for the same reason you have. We're finding it difficult to find a 4 bedroom apartment though... Any suggestions - a local told us last week when we were out there that estate agents charge the tenants not the landlords their fees......
There are 86 four bed flats to rent on idealista in Oviedo

casas y pisos 4 habitaciones en alquiler de lujo en oviedo, asturias — idealista.com

The trouble is that when renting a lot of the decour is rather dated but you still should be able to get somehting pretty good with a parking space for under 1,000 euros per month

Yes the tenants need to pay 1 month commission. That is normal here although you can negotiate. The estate agents are pretty trustworthy not like down South
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much, will take a look.

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

C'man are there no townhouses in the centre?
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stuboy
C'man are there no townhouses in the centre?
There are very few but you would have to be very lucky to find one that will be for rent

Houses tend to be on the outskirts of the city or up the hill and Oviedo is very hilly!
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cricketman
Oviedo is very hilly!
That's put me right off. Not overly fond of very hilly towns and cities.

I suppose I'll have to cancel my surprise visit to you.