Reload this Page >

Moving to Andalucia/Costa del Sol

Moving to Andalucia/Costa del Sol

Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

ClosedAcc0101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Andalucia/Costa del Sol

Hi All,

This is my first time posting on here so bear with me please.

We (Wife, 2x kids aged 7 + 9 and of course myself) are planning on moving to Spain in April 2011. We are aiming to live in the greater Malaga region on the Costa del Sol. The inital plan is that we aim to move by end of April 2011 from Northern Ireland. You may ask Why? Good question we've asked this too, we've been living in Northern Ireland all our lives and dream of trying to live somewhere else see some of the World. Im a System Analyst developing and configuring IT using Microsoft technology, as part of my job I get the option of a career break for a 1-3 year period, the kids are 2 years from going into secondary school, so as we see it... If anytime is the right time its now as we have up to a 2 year window to make up our minds.

My language skills in Spanish are basic and so is my wifes (but we're trying to improve and hope this will come with time), so we realise this wont be an easy walk in the park! But we are really commited to the plan... I've read so much about what people have done wrong and how it hasnt worked out. Some poeple chosing to buy in the middle of a mountain range with no-one around, or unwilling to learn language or try to fit in.

That is why i'm on here to gather other peoples views on what we should watch out for OR your helpfull advice around the questions below or if you've anything else constructive by all means i'm willing to listen.

We are planning to rent and not buy, I will be looking for a job which is why Malaga (but this isnt fixed, willing to consider other areas Murcia, Allicante etc, but if all else fails try Gibraltar) is our preferred region ASAP, the money i'm sure will run out quick.

We aim to visit the area in Feb for a fact finding break for a week avoiding main tourist seasons...

But for now I would like to ask for some help/advice and may come back for more.

JOB
Where and how is a good place to look for?
Malaga seems to have a technology park PTA and from searching there seems to be some jobs around. I've been looking for work using InfoJobs.net and some other online websites such as thinkspain.com. My problem is I dont feel as if im getting anywhere..

ACCOMMODATION
We are aiming to rent first before even considering buying as an option, we've found the towns Estepona, Nerja that seem to have what we're after with major city but balanced. They are close enough to Malaga for potential work and services and not so small that we'll be constantly running to get things by car. A three bed house (aiming not to be in the same as a housing estate here) with access to a pool seems to be in the region of €450-550 per month, 1-2 months deposit and written rental agreement seems to be the average.
Does this sound about right?
Are there any extra charges that we should be aware of council/water tax etc?
Anyone any thoughts on the areas?
Are there any other cost-of-living friendly areas we school consider in the Anadulcia region?

SCHOOLS
We are aiming to send the kids to Spanish state primary schools. Im afraid the idea of paying €300pcm for Education is way beyond our budget. So in prep for this we've been sending the kids to Spanish lessons here and will do so until we go to give them best chance possible.
Does anyone have any experience of the schools in these towns, are there any or do you have to travel to the bigger towns?
Should we expect the schools to be completely Spanish speaking only, or do any schools maybe have a English teacher/some English spoke in school, are there any good schools to look out for?

Thanks

Karl
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Andalucia/Costa del Sol

Originally Posted by ClosedAcc0101
Hi All,

This is my first time posting on here so bear with me please.

We (Wife, 2x kids aged 7 + 9 and of course myself) are planning on moving to Spain in April 2011. We are aiming to live in the greater Malaga region on the Costa del Sol. The inital plan is that we aim to move by end of April 2011 from Northern Ireland. You may ask Why? Good question we've asked this too, we've been living in Northern Ireland all our lives and dream of trying to live somewhere else see some of the World. Im a System Analyst developing and configuring IT using Microsoft technology, as part of my job I get the option of a career break for a 1-3 year period, the kids are 2 years from going into secondary school, so as we see it... If anytime is the right time its now as we have up to a 2 year window to make up our minds.

My language skills in Spanish are basic and so is my wifes (but we're trying to improve and hope this will come with time), so we realise this wont be an easy walk in the park! But we are really commited to the plan... I've read so much about what people have done wrong and how it hasnt worked out. Some poeple chosing to buy in the middle of a mountain range with no-one around, or unwilling to learn language or try to fit in.

That is why i'm on here to gather other peoples views on what we should watch out for OR your helpfull advice around the questions below or if you've anything else constructive by all means i'm willing to listen.

We are planning to rent and not buy, I will be looking for a job which is why Malaga (but this isnt fixed, willing to consider other areas Murcia, Allicante etc, but if all else fails try Gibraltar) is our preferred region ASAP, the money i'm sure will run out quick.

We aim to visit the area in Feb for a fact finding break for a week avoiding main tourist seasons...

But for now I would like to ask for some help/advice and may come back for more.

JOB
Where and how is a good place to look for?
Malaga seems to have a technology park PTA and from searching there seems to be some jobs around. I've been looking for work using InfoJobs.net and some other online websites such as thinkspain.com. My problem is I dont feel as if im getting anywhere..

ACCOMMODATION
We are aiming to rent first before even considering buying as an option, we've found the towns Estepona, Nerja that seem to have what we're after with major city but balanced. They are close enough to Malaga for potential work and services and not so small that we'll be constantly running to get things by car. A three bed house (aiming not to be in the same as a housing estate here) with access to a pool seems to be in the region of €450-550 per month, 1-2 months deposit and written rental agreement seems to be the average.
Does this sound about right?
Are there any extra charges that we should be aware of council/water tax etc?
Anyone any thoughts on the areas?
Are there any other cost-of-living friendly areas we school consider in the Anadulcia region?

SCHOOLS
We are aiming to send the kids to Spanish state primary schools. Im afraid the idea of paying €300pcm for Education is way beyond our budget. So in prep for this we've been sending the kids to Spanish lessons here and will do so until we go to give them best chance possible.
Does anyone have any experience of the schools in these towns, are there any or do you have to travel to the bigger towns?
Should we expect the schools to be completely Spanish speaking only, or do any schools maybe have a English teacher/some English spoke in school, are there any good schools to look out for?

Thanks

Karl
Hi Karl

Re jobs, I am afraid I dont have any good news. You will need to speak fluent Spanish and even then, Malaga is a provincial town and wont have a big tech sector and 100s of people fighting for every job.

Estepona is way too far away from Malaga city to commute, it is over 1 hour away and 100km. I'd even say Nerja is too far away to commute

Finally maybe someone can correct me, but I havent seen any 3 bed houses with a pool to rent for 500 euros, these would be more like 650-700 euros per month (minimum). And more like 900 euros plus per month close to Malaga city.

I hope this helps, unfortunately withough being fluent in Spanish your choices are very limited. Even if you were fluent, they would be limited anyway. There is 30% unemployment down here!

Given that you are a systems analyst can you bring your work with you? Or work freelance from Spain but with British clients? That is your best bet.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

thanks for that i've seen some houses for in the €500 pcm with shared pool (sorry forgot mention that).

In terms of work i'm seriously bearing in mind trying to work with UK companies, but will have to bait some of those ... has anyone any experience of even commuting to Gib, how far is too far (i.e. Estepona)?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Plenty of IT work in Gibraltar and plenty of people commuting in but you most definitely wouldn't want to be doing that from Malaga. If you are thinking of Estepona then the commute is most do'able into Gib (if a little taxing getting through the border!). Send me a PM if you want the email address of a recruitment company there that actually has real jobs!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

PM Sent, Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClosedAcc0101
thanks for that i've seen some houses for in the €500 pcm with shared pool (sorry forgot mention that).

In terms of work i'm seriously bearing in mind trying to work with UK companies, but will have to bait some of those ... has anyone any experience of even commuting to Gib, how far is too far (i.e. Estepona)?
Hi, welcome; desperately want to bring something positive to your enquiry however am struggling right now!
Firstly, yes your expected commute distances are unrealistic unless you are actually prepared for 1hr plus each way (assuming you see Malaga as the likely work location) and though it's detail, parking's a nightmare in Malaga city so let's hope you find somewhere on a tech park!
Ref your children, it's very good you've started them on Spanish they'll need as much of a springboard as you can provide, most people on this forum seem to think they're at the far upper end of the age range at which children can slot into a foreign language environment and cope reasonably well;
(sorry laptop lacking some punctuation, it's not me!)
coastal schools are more likely to have better qualified teachers of English than inland indeed I believe there's a move towards some bilingual state schools though everything's relative! If you can do it, try to remember to keep up their English at home though, reading and writing and internet comprehension etc because they won't be getting English to UK standards
In terms of language actually used in school, yes it'll be 100% Spanish (and spoken in Andaluz to boot, regarded as being a bit like thick Glaswegian to the English ear!)
Having said all of that, you do seem to be trying to look at all sides, and I plus just about everyone else would concur RENT FIRST!
Can't think of anything else right now, but good luck
Old Jan 10th 2011, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

i've heard about the "bi-lingual state schools" subject before but could never find any details on it, which is why never persued it too much.

On the job front I'd like to get a job in ideally Malaga region in one of the tech park areas, but Im also mindful the langauge barrier is against me, I would like to point out for anyone reading this thinking, here comes another person wanting everyone else to speak English... I hope to working on my Spanish and be able to speak it a bit and improve on it when I get there... I believe that you should try your best to fit in!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide to work in Gibraltar and also live there then your children would be entitled to free education within the English curriculum.However housing is expensive and very few pools around.

I appreciate this is not what your first aim is but your children would find it easier on their education here, and again when you return to NI.
They would also learn Spanish in the playground as this is the first language of most Gibraltarians.

From Gib you could spend lots of your free time in Spain.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

In all honesty I can not see any reason why you should not move to Spain as an experience that your children can take in to adulthood then go for it but you really do need to have your head screwed on.

You need enough money behind you to last you at least 12 months so your looking at 12,14 thousand that allows for your standard of living that takes in unforeseen circumstances and assume the worst as far as work is concerned, there is jobs and you may be lucky, you may walk into a job within a week but never assume it is going to happen you would be better taking a year out and not having to put a wage into the mix.

How well do you know your kids, are they strong enough emotionally, phyisically and educationally to be a little fish in a very strange big pond, are they strong enough to go to school and be bottom of the class, no language skills initially and potentially few friends because that is the reality, even speaking the same language some children have problems although it is only short term till they do make friends and get a grasp of the language it is not going to be easy so you should be prepared for potentially tears, tantrums and them not being happy but the benefits if they and you can stick it out will be worth it in most cases, you have to be prepared to throw yourself into the way of life to help them integrate and not be isolated.

Work out what is important to you, social life, groups, car, dining out, etc as this will affect how much money you need and some people move here and forget they are not on holiday and go through money like water. Renting is the right move as it allows you the freedom to re-evaluate if need be, and take it as an adventure, let the kids take it as an adventure and a learning curve that many children do not get until later in life but their wishes have to be considered as you will be miserable if they are unhappy with the move.

Do not go into it without looking at the downside and there downsides it is not all green grass and honey, but be prepared for a few thorns and follow what you think is right for the whole family after consultation with the whole family, listen, digest and take in what is said on here but do not use it as the bible for life, only you doing your research by visiting the area can you really know what is happening.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

There is a technology park near Malaga with a lot of foreign workers, sorry can't be any more precise than that
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Technology Park in Malaga.

http://www.pta.es/publico/jsp/home/home.jsp?i=2

Bilingual school in Technology Park

http://www.colegiomit.com/

Last edited by AdrianTO; Jan 11th 2011 at 4:21 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
Bilingual school in Technology Park

http://www.colegiomit.com/
Typically Spanish .................. The price is secret
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Typically Spanish ................. The price is secret
There was some discussion of it a good while back, but for the life of me I can't remember which thread .
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:24 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
There was some discussion of it a good while back, but for the life of me I can't remember which thread .
this one

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=MIT
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fionamw
Originally Posted by lynnxa

My post was more a reflection on the Spanish attitude of not putting prices on things advertised than a remark about this establishment.

For example car dealers with cars marked " Secondhand Bargain " but no sign of a price

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.