Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Alicante region- Husband works away

Moving to Alicante region- Husband works away

Old Oct 28th 2012, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Pammyxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Alicante region- Husband works away

Thats what i thought reg groups etc....it all sounding exactly as i was thinking which is good!!

My mum gave me some living in spain brochures yesterday, seen some adverts for tax places in there so will give them a shout and get the ball rolling with proper advice tomorow, your right cant go on here say with these things

Thanks everyone for your help, really friendly bunch....has helped loads speaking to people that have done the same thing

Have a list of things to get going with....no doubt i will be back on at somepoint with some more random questions, speak soon Pxx
Old Jul 8th 2013, 2:09 am
Just Joined

cathy_and_simon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for this post!, me and my wife are in the same situation, I work away and my wife is petrified and excited about this move. I really cant say thank you enough 1. for the question and 2. for all your helpful replys you have sold Javea to us so I better start seaching for a rental
Old Jul 8th 2013, 3:05 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cathy_and_simon
Thank you all for this post!, me and my wife are in the same situation, I work away and my wife is petrified and excited about this move. I really cant say thank you enough 1. for the question and 2. for all your helpful replys you have sold Javea to us so I better start seaching for a rental

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 8th 2013, 4:16 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I do NOT know Lynn, and have never met her, however I have heard so many good reports about he Spanish lessons that, if you were moving to Javea then she would seem to be the person to help with your Spanish lessons. Learning some basic Spanish is essential, and getting to a higher level is a very good idea, you will always have to deal with Spanish people, and they really do appreciate you trying to communicate in their own language, even if it isn't quite right.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cathy_and_simon

we've been here 10 years now - my husband worked away when we first moved over, too - it WAS pretty scary with 2 small daughters (now teenagers who tower over me!)

anything you want to know about Jávea, just ask - if I don't know the answer I for sure know someone who does

Originally Posted by mikelincs
OK, I do NOT know Lynn, and have never met her, however I have heard so many good reports about he Spanish lessons that, if you were moving to Javea then she would seem to be the person to help with your Spanish lessons. Learning some basic Spanish is essential, and getting to a higher level is a very good idea, you will always have to deal with Spanish people, and they really do appreciate you trying to communicate in their own language, even if it isn't quite right.
awww shucks

I'm having a few weeks holiday atm - boy do I need it - with something like 70 students on the go I'm pretty busy....

I will be starting a new group in mid-September, so if you're here by then, cathy_and_simon, give me a shout!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Scoobydo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa

we've been here 10 years now - my husband worked away when we first moved over, too - it WAS pretty scary with 2 small daughters (now teenagers who tower over me!)

anything you want to know about Jávea, just ask - if I don't know the answer I for sure know someone who does

awww shucks

I'm having a few weeks holiday atm - boy do I need it - with something like 70 students on the go I'm pretty busy....

I will be starting a new group in mid-September, so if you're here by then, cathy_and_simon, give me a shout!

Hi Lynnxa,

I have been looking at parts of Spain to retire with my husband, as we were in Marbella for Easter seriously considered the Costa de Sol, Marbella is expensive for us as we would want to to close to the sea. To do that we need lots of $$$$$

I saw this latest "post" and have looked to day only to find such a beautiful costal area that could possibly be where we lay our hat!
I have yet more to research and old threads to read but I am so glad I found this.
As you have lived there for 10 years you may be able to give me any info perhaps on best areas very close to beach.
Thank you, enjoy your break.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 1:53 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scoobydo
Hi Lynnxa,

I have been looking at parts of Spain to retire with my husband, as we were in Marbella for Easter seriously considered the Costa de Sol, Marbella is expensive for us as we would want to to close to the sea. To do that we need lots of $$$$$

I saw this latest "post" and have looked to day only to find such a beautiful costal area that could possibly be where we lay our hat!
I have yet more to research and old threads to read but I am so glad I found this.
As you have lived there for 10 years you may be able to give me any info perhaps on best areas very close to beach.
Thank you, enjoy your break.
well we have 9 beaches & lots of little coves... so it's quite hard to NOT be near a beach!

for me, the port area is perfect - I don't drive, so I can walk or cycle to just about anywhere I want - & the bus stops at the end of my road too!

it's hard to say what would suit you - we moved around a bit within Jávea ...always gravitating back to the port though

really & truly there's only one part I wouldn't recommend - everywhere else has its own pluses & minuses....

Last edited by lynnxa; Jul 11th 2013 at 2:11 am.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:17 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mogsmum
Do UK electrical goods run on the spanish electricity grid system or do you have to have adapters everywhere......For instance my most used machine in the kitchen ( apart from cookers) is my Food Processor which I would love to take..thought we would have to but all electrical goods from new when we arrived
your ok on that, just bring what you want
the chinese shops throughout Spain stock UK adaptors for a couple of euros each so no problems

the only thing you may have problems with is old style televisions if they are pre-digital change over as spain is now all digital.
however, i bought a black box back home as I didn't want to change and then move, and all you have to do is change the settings to get SP televison, many stations have Brit/Eng/US language progs selectable.
if you have to buy a black box then they are only 25-35 euros.

hth