Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Alicante region- Husband works away

Moving to Alicante region- Husband works away

Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Pammyxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Alicante region- Husband works away

Hi all, has anyone actually made the move to spain where husband works offshore month/month off and coped while there away?

We are a young family & have two boys one 10 years old & one 1 years old, eldest starts secondary school next year, dont like the way teenagers in the uk are brought up ie hanging around street corners drinking alcohol etc, is spain any better?

Looking to move beginning of next year, plan to rent out property in uk and rent property in spain........ although still deciding on area, keen on the lady elizabeth school, does anyone know if its any good? Px
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Alicante region- Husband works away

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:31 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pammyxxx
Hi all, has anyone actually made the move to spain where husband works offshore month/month off and coped while there away?

We are a young family & have two boys one 10 years old & one 1 years old, eldest starts secondary school next year, dont like the way teenagers in the uk are brought up ie hanging around street corners drinking alcohol etc, is spain any better?

Looking to move beginning of next year, plan to rent out property in uk and rent property in spain........ although still deciding on area, keen on the lady elizabeth school, does anyone know if its any good? Px
hi!!

you'll find a lot of families like you in this area!

when we moved here my husband worked away a lot, & I personally know quite a lot of families in Jávea, where the husband is either working offshore or is in the forces

If I was going to send my girls (both teens in Spanish school - neither they nor their friends hang around street corners getting drunk - which isn't to say there aren't a kids here who do that ) to International school, I'd choose Lady Elizabeth

I know some of the staff there, and several families with children there

fire away with any other questions!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
hi!!

you'll find a lot of families like you in this area!

when we moved here my husband worked away a lot, & I personally know quite a lot of families in Jávea, where the husband is either working offshore or is in the forces

If I was going to send my girls (both teens in Spanish school - neither they nor their friends hang around street corners getting drunk - which isn't to say there aren't a kids here who do that ) to International school, I'd choose Lady Elizabeth

I know some of the staff there, and several families with children there

fire away with any other questions!
Hiya, thanks for your quick reply, sounds promising that there are many families in the same situation as we will be in! :-)

Fantastic that neither of your girls are upto that sort of nonsense & encouraging!

Yes i have loads of questions.....sorry in advance hehe

Im figuring with my eldest being 10 he will never be fluent in Spanish therefore should my eldest decide to go to university, are there international ones or will he have to travel abroad?

My mum has a holiday villa in calpe, were hoping to go out there in a few weeks once my husband comes back from offshore to have a look around potential areas, would like everything on my doorstep, beach, doctors, dentist, supermarket, nice community, neither myself or hubby can speak any spanish....would be keen to learn, anywhere where would you recommend? I have looked online at long term lets although struggling to find properties.....i love the ibizan style properties ultra modern.....do you know of any areas where there are lots of these type of properties?

Also sorry....whats the crime like, im such a chicken...especially with my hubby working away, am i better to live in gated community?

When did you move? & would you ever move back to the uk?
xx
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:25 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, thanks for your quick reply, sounds promising that there are many families in the same situation as we will be in! :-)

Fantastic that neither of your girls are upto that sort of nonsense & encouraging!

Yes i have loads of questions.....sorry in advance hehe

Im figuring with my eldest being 10 he will never be fluent in Spanish therefore should my eldest decide to go to university, are there international ones or will he have to travel abroad?

My mum has a holiday villa in calpe, were hoping to go out there in a few weeks once my husband comes back from offshore to have a look around potential areas, would like everything on my doorstep, beach, doctors, dentist, supermarket, nice community, neither myself or hubby can speak any spanish....would be keen to learn, anywhere where would you recommend? I have looked online at long term lets although struggling to find properties.....i love the ibizan style properties ultra modern.....do you know of any areas where there are lots of these type of properties?

Also sorry....whats the crime like, im such a chicken...especially with my hubby working away, am i better to live in gated community?

When did you move? & would you ever move back to the uk?
xx
some 10 year olds DO manage to become fluent enough in Spanish to cope with Spanish school & go onto uni in Spanish - some don't

most of the unis take foreign non-Spanish speaking students

my elder dd is fluent in English, Castellano & Valenciano........... but is planning uni in the UK because the course she wants isn't available in Spain

after 9 years here I certainly have no plans to ever return to the UK to live though, and atm neither does my 13 year old

we live in a rented modern town-house on a gated urb in Jávea port - I can walk or cycle to everything you list - which is a good job cos I never learned to drive - my girls both walk to school - there a couple available atm on our urb

crime - yes, there's crime, but I've never come into contact with any personally - you are safer on a gated urb though - you have more chance of there being neighbours nearby for one thing - I have always preferred to live on one, since my hubby was always away a lot, too

I'll let someone else tell you about Spanish lessons............
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:13 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Learning Spanish in Javea is easy you take lessons from Lynnxa!!!!!!

Rosemary
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:12 am
Just Joined

bjme2 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been in Spain two years under the same arrangements you described. My only negative is my husbands new work requires us to moveback to the UK. in short there are good international schools and lifestyleis is fantastic and we feel our kids are safe on the Costa Blanca. You wont regret it.

My only suggestions when moving is bring good electrical goods from the UK, good furniture can be expensive and consider trying to buy a LHD car from someone leaving Spain. All are over priced when you buy from dealers and worth a lot less when you sell.

Other than that we have enjoyed our time immensely
Karen & Barry
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:15 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Learning Spanish in Javea is easy you take lessons from Lynnxa!!!!!!

Rosemary
I'm not the only Spanish teacher in Jávea - possibly the best known though

& she might not come to Jávea

can't imagine why she wouldn't though
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

mogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bjme2
We have been in Spain two years under the same arrangements you described. My only negative is my husbands new work requires us to moveback to the UK. in short there are good international schools and lifestyleis is fantastic and we feel our kids are safe on the Costa Blanca. You wont regret it.

My only suggestions when moving is bring good electrical goods from the UK, good furniture can be expensive and consider trying to buy a LHD car from someone leaving Spain. All are over priced when you buy from dealers and worth a lot less when you sell.

Other than that we have enjoyed our time immensely
Karen & Barry
Do UK electrical goods run on the spanish electricity grid system or do you have to have adapters everywhere......For instance my most used machine in the kitchen ( apart from cookers) is my Food Processor which I would love to take..thought we would have to but all electrical goods from new when we arrived
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:24 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by mogsmum
Do UK electrical goods run on the spanish electricity grid system or do you have to have adapters everywhere......For instance my most used machine in the kitchen ( apart from cookers) is my Food Processor which I would love to take..thought we would have to but all electrical goods from new when we arrived
they work just fine - you just need adaptor plugs or change the plugs to spanish ones
Old Oct 27th 2012, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your help, thats great to know, hopefully he will be one of the ones that picks it up, maybe with a little help from you if you had space Also good to know u get on fine not driving, as i drive here in UK although when ive been out to my mums place hubby has always drove, as seems to scary...think id be fine going about the town centres etc, but when it comes to motorways def NO NO!! Ive seen the school does bus runs...think my eldest would be keen to do that anyway!

Cool, i will look to go with gated community as well...as would most def like to have neighbours and friends for the boys There crime everywhere i guess!

Karen/Barry - thank you for the advice taken onboard and noted :-) Karen did you make friends easy when Barry was away, are there any expat coffee/vino meet ups/groups?

Also another question spanish friends, residency....how do you apply & am i right in saying with my hubby being out the country 6 months of the year, he would be classed as tax free? x
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Sorry to add to that it is the Javea area that were looking at funnily enough!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:34 am
Just Joined

bjme2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Making friends is easy. There are various groups for many things but the numerous restaurants and bars also make it easy to meet other families. Esssentially if you can talk to people you will make good friends.

Residency etc is easy but the cost of a solictor or gestion is ridiculously cheap so take the hardship out of the exercise and get someone else to do it for you.

As for tax status can't stress ENOUGH THE VALUE OF PAYING FOR GOOD ADVICE. Sorry to anyone who may comment after me (giving specific asvice) but everyone's financial position is different and paying for good advice from a top notch accountant and lawyer may sound expensive but it has always saved us big time in the long run. So even though I could quote you our experience here I think it is best to not anything and say "GO TO THE EXPERTS"

Barry & Karen
Old Oct 27th 2012, 8:11 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Sorry to add to that it is the Javea area that were looking at funnily enough!
Old Oct 28th 2012, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

mogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnxa
they work just fine - you just need adaptor plugs or change the plugs to spanish ones
Thanks Lynnxa
Very helpful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.