Reload this Page >

Move from UK; work in Gibraltar

Move from UK; work in Gibraltar

Old Mar 18th 2016, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

JulesD is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Move from UK; work in Gibraltar

Hi,
I apologise in advance as I'm sure hundreds of people have asked the same questions, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for - which is basically everything.
My husband has flown out to Gibraltar this week to meet with an employer who has offered him a job over there.
The position is good and he's keen to take it, but it sounds like a logistical nightmare and I'm an 'organiser'
We have a 7year old who would be looking to start in Juniors in September. Luckily my profession is Insurance, so I'm not overly concerned about work but we have all the everyday things to consider.

there is a very real chance that I will follow hubby over when he finishes his probation in 3 months, and to tie in with the end of the school year.
I would also probably look to not go straight in to work to allow time to settle small person in school

Where to live: Spain / Gibraltar - His new company will pay for accommodation for 3 months whilst he finds somewhere to live, but he's had a general drive around Spain today / Duquesa being a favourite, but probably not commutable for both of us with our little on in school.
Apparently he isn't keen on la Linea as a family location - so ideas on a postcard.
I believe Gib is much more expensive, and given that we'll be down to 1 wage in the short term, probably not realistic.

We need to take the dog with us: - I get the impression this is a bit easier than above. - Does anyone have any recommendations for companies? I know I need a passport for her.

School!: this is the big one. Is it really hard to get them in to a local school? we pay in the UK, but again as I won't be working in the short term, I don't think we'll be able to pay for school. I understand if we don't live in Gib, she has to go to a Spanish school. (I think my head is going to explode)

I think that's enough to be going on with. - If anyone is bobbing around in Spain / gib tomorrow and fancies taking my hubby on an information tour - I'm sure he'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for any and all advise which can be given.

Jules.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 2:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move from UK; work in Gibraltar

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 18th 2016, 2:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

You may find this thread helpful.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...-spain-871269/

Rosemary
Old Mar 18th 2016, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you live in Gibraltar for the first 6 or 12 months whilst you become familiar with the whole area before making a more long term decision.

That will also solve your schooling problem.

OK it's more expensive but the cost both monetary and in time of commuting needs to be considered.

Insurance in Gib is a very big business and should give you employment opportunities that may fit in with your child's schooling that you would not get in Spain.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 7:55 am
Just Joined

JulesD is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for such clear and speedy advice.
I have passed all of this on to my husband who is spending his last day over there looking at the options.