British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Move to Spain this year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/move-spain-year-931409/)

paulmountford Feb 28th 2020 4:32 pm

Move to Spain this year

Hi all,
I am looking for some information/experiences about moving to Spain around the Malaga area. For years we have thought about trying a move to Spain but always the sensible head has won the argument that it is too much of a risk and there is no work in Spain etc. Now me and my wife both in our early 40's and our 2 kids 8/6 years old have been thinking about it more and more. The main reason is the weather the UK weather seems to be getting worse every year and it never stops raining. Also due to Brexit it is literally now or never. I'm from the UK my wife is Chilean our kids can understand Spanish and after a few weeks in Chile speak it quite well but it falls by the wayside a bit when we are back. I totally understand that this move might not work and we could be back in a year but I feel like we really need to give it a try.
The things I would like to find out about are.
The most important this is the School situation for my kids, they would have to join a Spanish school I know there are public semi private schools in spain. Any experience in this would be very appreciated, how the enrollment works how far it could set them back academically etc.
Work prospects for us? My wife works in imports and exports and has a Chilean degree. I'm an electrician and have a company in the UK offering all property renovations etc. I know there is work in Gibraltar but doing that kind of commute everyday is a last resort.
We would have a passive income from the the UK of around 1500 euros a month how far would that go?
As far as I can see if we arrived in Spain before the end of the transition period we can obtain residency as normal any other info regarding this would be helpful.
Thanks

Moses2013 Feb 28th 2020 4:56 pm

Re: Move to Spain this year

Originally Posted by paulmountford (Post 12813392)
Hi all,
I am looking for some information/experiences about moving to Spain around the Malaga area. For years we have thought about trying a move to Spain but always the sensible head has won the argument that it is too much of a risk and there is no work in Spain etc. Now me and my wife both in our early 40's and our 2 kids 8/6 years old have been thinking about it more and more. The main reason is the weather the UK weather seems to be getting worse every year and it never stops raining. Also due to Brexit it is literally now or never. I'm from the UK my wife is Chilean our kids can understand Spanish and after a few weeks in Chile speak it quite well but it falls by the wayside a bit when we are back. I totally understand that this move might not work and we could be back in a year but I feel like we really need to give it a try.
The things I would like to find out about are.
The most important this is the School situation for my kids, they would have to join a Spanish school I know there are public semi private schools in spain. Any experience in this would be very appreciated, how the enrollment works how far it could set them back academically etc.
Work prospects for us? My wife works in imports and exports and has a Chilean degree. I'm an electrician and have a company in the UK offering all property renovations etc. I know there is work in Gibraltar but doing that kind of commute everyday is a last resort.
We would have a passive income from the the UK of around 1500 euros a month how far would that go?
As far as I can see if we arrived in Spain before the end of the transition period we can obtain residency as normal any other info regarding this would be helpful.
Thanks

First mistake is that you are trying to pick an area with the highest amounts of sunshine. Go where the work is and take it from there. It is not difficult to submit your cv or contact agencies online.

Opinion Feb 28th 2020 5:24 pm

€1,500.00 a month for a family of four will not go far regardless of where you are. Assuming you'll be looking at somewhere with 3 bedrooms for your family, plus bills... most of that will be eaten up. Import/export is a very, very broad description. If she speaks Spanish and gets lucky against the high unemployment, don't expect UK wages unless she's reasonably senior. As an electrician, as far as I'm aware, the system out here is completely different, so you'd have to re-qualify... and even if you did that, you'd be competing against Spanish natives speaking fluent Spanish.

spainrico Feb 28th 2020 5:26 pm

Work is going to be your major problem. Not sure if a Chilean degree is recognised in Spain. You need to do a lot of research before you commit. Lots of useful stuff here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

paulmountford Feb 28th 2020 5:56 pm

Re training would be necessary if you wanted to sign work off UK qualifications are valid in Spain. The way domestic buildings are wired in spain is different than the UK but the fundamentals are the same. The reason I was looking at the Malaga area is after a bit of research it is supposedly a good place for families. What parts of Spain have the least difficulty for finding work? My wife works as a import/export administrator/account manager dealing all shipping and customs paperwork often for manufacturing companies who export, Spanish is her first language.

Opinion Feb 28th 2020 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by paulmountford (Post 12813435)
Re training would be necessary if you wanted to sign work off UK qualifications are valid in Spain. The way domestic buildings are wired in spain is different than the UK but the fundamentals are the same. The reason I was looking at the Malaga area is after a bit of research it is supposedly a good place for families. What parts of Spain have the least difficulty for finding work? My wife works as a import/export administrator/account manager dealing all shipping and customs paperwork often for manufacturing companies who export, Spanish is her first language.

I wrote a long reply to this but refreshed the page and lost it so all I will say now is don't be so naive and do a lot more research.

paulmountford Feb 28th 2020 6:34 pm

I don’t really understand How I am being so naive as you put it.

Joppa Feb 28th 2020 6:39 pm

Chilean passport holder can obtain Spanish passport after living for 2 years without having to renounce existing nationality, so this may be a way out of Brexit straightjacket as you will be able to live and work in Spain as spouse of a Spanish national. Yes, you still need to move to Spain in 2020 but you will have greater flexibility in the future, including freedom of movement. You can be naturalised as Spanish after living with a Spanish national spouse for one year, though in your case you will have to renounce British citizenship.

Opinion Feb 28th 2020 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by paulmountford (Post 12813444)
I don’t really understand How I am being so naive as you put it.

The fundamentals are different which is bad enough. That'll be like learning a new language? Do you speak Spanish fluently? So that's another language.

You suggest Málaga as a place that is good for families. Why? Where? Spain is over twice the size of the UK. That's like comparing Cornwall to Glasgow- but twice the distance.

Lagoo Feb 28th 2020 6:50 pm

Unemployment is lower in the north, less than half that of the south according to the Wikipedia map below.

It's colder than the Malaga but nothing a jumper and jacket can't handle. On the other hand not many people speak English so they would probably prefer a Spanish electrician.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...a70c719b82.png

Moses2013 Feb 28th 2020 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by paulmountford (Post 12813435)

As Opinion said, Spain is a lot larger than that. If Malaga was so great why don't all the Spanish from Bilbao, Zaragoza move down South. You might be able to find more work further up. We only have a holiday home in the La Selva area and cities like Barcelona and surroundings have a good job market. But of course you are against locals who are fluent and speak English. Good electricians are always needed, so maybe focus on international companies.

paulmountford Feb 28th 2020 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Opinion (Post 12813447)
The fundamentals are different which is bad enough. That'll be like learning a new language? Do you speak Spanish fluently? So that's another language.

You suggest Málaga as a place that is good for families. Why? Where? Spain is over twice the size of the UK. That's like comparing Cornwall to Glasgow- but twice the distance.

If you read what I said I said the fundamentals are the same. UK qualifications are valid in Spain so you wouldn’t have to re train. I don’t understand your comparison between Cornwall and Glasgow? I’m talking about the Malaga area I’ve visited there often and my family used to have a place in Almunecar. So you’re saying that it’s not a good place for families? I’m talking about being close to the city of Malaga. Yes I speak Spanish.

Moses2013 Feb 28th 2020 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by paulmountford (Post 12813457)
If you read what I said I said the fundamentals are the same. UK qualifications are valid in Spain so you wouldn’t have to re train. I don’t understand your comparison between Cornwall and Glasgow? I’m talking about the Malaga area I’ve visited there often and my family used to have a place in Almunecar. So you’re saying that it’s not a good place for families? I’m talking about being close to the city of Malaga. Yes I speak Spanish.

I think your main focus should be on jobs first and then look at salaries vs cost of living. The point was probably why you would think Malaga is better for families than any other area in Spain. Just because people go on holiday to a place and there is a water park, doesn't make it better for families living there full time.

paulmountford Feb 28th 2020 7:44 pm

To Opinion.
There’s really no need to be so rude. If you go back and read my post you’ll see that never once did I suggest that people would be falling over themselves to give me or my wife a job. Neither did I suggest I’d done the amount of research that you probably should. What I would suggest to you is don’t bother replying to posts if the only reason is to be unhelpful and rude.

el collado kid Feb 29th 2020 7:21 am

Hi paul i would just like to say you are like many young families who post on B.E and can get advice they might not like.You read these and bear them in mind, the advice you like use to your advantage.I think people are just trying to warn you of pitfalls.Many brits like you come to spain get work start a business and are very successful in our area many brits work.Do your homework take your time and when you and your wife decide what you will do then go for it.there is a wonderful life waiting in spain.Getting all the correct paperwork is not as difficult as it might seem ,but at the moment there is a backlog. Oh and in our area construction is booming with many british companies so there could be plenty of work who knows do your research most of the work is on the coast which is 15 - 20 minutes away.good luck with your research which we all do, not all the answers are on these pages but with you and your wife. maybe we will see you in spain the very best wishes to your family.:welcome: