Reload this Page >

Move to Spain? Is that sound or silly

Move to Spain? Is that sound or silly

Old Jan 6th 2012, 1:39 am
Needs the SUN

bostonlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to Spain? Is that sound or silly

Hello,

Just reading some threads and information about the current economic state of Spain. My family has been planning a move to Spain since 2009. We are planning to go in June of 2013. We even have the contractors lined up to spruce up the house prior to it going up for sale.

My husband is employeed, and his company will relocate him to a place where they have a presence. (2 year max) He is an senior software designer. So we have a steady income. Our children are 4 and 7.

Curious, on how bad and depressing is Spain is right now? From what I read it does not sound as grim as Greece, where the trash is not even being collected. It sounds like things will be very tight with the projected 30 bn needed to be collected over the next 3 years. I can not envision any boarded up businesses or restuarants or any lack of "life", that spirit of the people that make us want to live there.

The U.S. in no picnic right now. I have lived here all my life and have never seen it as bad as it is now. And that includes the years when George W. Bush was president...

Any thoughts or comments? If you could move to Spain (Valencia) or Tenerife in the year to come would you? If not where would you live?

Thanks
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Spain? Is that sound or silly

Originally Posted by bostonlady
Hello,

Just reading some threads and information about the current economic state of Spain. My family has been planning a move to Spain since 2009. We are planning to go in June of 2013. We even have the contractors lined up to spruce up the house prior to it going up for sale.

My husband is employeed, and his company will relocate him to a place where they have a presence. (2 year max) He is an senior software designer. So we have a steady income. Our children are 4 and 7.

Curious, on how bad and depressing is Spain is right now? From what I read it does not sound as grim as Greece, where the trash is not even being collected. It sounds like things will be very tight with the projected 30 bn needed to be collected over the next 3 years. I can not envision any boarded up businesses or restuarants or any lack of "life", that spirit of the people that make us want to live there.

The U.S. in no picnic right now. I have lived here all my life and have never seen it as bad as it is now. And that includes the years when George W. Bush was president...

Any thoughts or comments? If you could move to Spain (Valencia) or Tenerife in the year to come would you? If not where would you live?

Thanks
If your children know some Spanish, if they take change well and if there's a steady income...Why not:-) The place is certainly not depressing. It's just no fun if you don't have a steady income and may be tough for the children if they can't speak Spanish. Having said that I'm sure there are international schools if you can afford them in both places. Remember your steady income will be taxed in Spain.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an income then no problem

There is still plenty of life everywhere and people still enjoy themselves. There are going to be serious cuts in public services especially in health and education, but they were probably due

Lets see how it goes. I am certainly in it for the long term, I love living here and am very happy for my children to be brought up in Spain
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:53 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have said, if you have a guaranteed income then go for it!
I would suggest that you rent out your house, though, don't sell it, and rent wherever you're going to be based in Spain. Otherwise you may find yourself at the end of the 2 years with no income and a property you can't sell in a hurry if you need to move on for work.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:30 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Personally I would prefer the US any day of the week but unfortunately don't have the relevant qualifications or money to go. Spain is lovely if you have a guaranteed income (which I don't being self-employed and suffering) and I would imagine a great place to bring up children. Good luck.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 9:02 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

as I posted in the This Statement Worries Me thread...........

I have just move to Andalucia for retirement. Something we have talked about for 4-5 years, improved by the BH getting a job here.

I would suggest that if you want the move then you do it. Otherwise in years to come it will become another point of recrimination and "if only" driving a wedge between you and partner as you get older.

Things have been worse - its still in living memory that Spain had a full shooting Civil War, France and Germany were at war but look how friendly they are now, Italy was at war, UK was at war, as were Benelux countries and Russia.
Things can be difficult, awkward or a breeze dependent on an individual's circumstances.

If you want the different lifestyle, with the added advantage of a good well paid job then go for it. Spain isnt the wild west of old.
And if it goes wrong for whatever reason then you can say you gave it your best and hold your head up high..

look forward to seeing you on the beach or up a mountain in the near future, in fact why not bring it forward to 2012
rgds
Dom
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:47 pm
Needs the SUN

Originally Posted by JnK
Personally I would prefer the US any day of the week but unfortunately don't have the relevant qualifications or money to go. Spain is lovely if you have a guaranteed income (which I don't being self-employed and suffering) and I would imagine a great place to bring up children. Good luck.
Thank you!!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:49 pm
Needs the SUN

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
As the others have said, if you have a guaranteed income then go for it!
I would suggest that you rent out your house, though, don't sell it, and rent wherever you're going to be based in Spain. Otherwise you may find yourself at the end of the 2 years with no income and a property you can't sell in a hurry if you need to move on for work.
Thank you. We have been to Seville many times. Love it!! We are thinking of either Valenica or Tenerife.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:57 pm
Needs the SUN

Originally Posted by Domino
as I posted in the This Statement Worries Me thread...........

I have just move to Andalucia for retirement. Something we have talked about for 4-5 years, improved by the BH getting a job here.

I would suggest that if you want the move then you do it. Otherwise in years to come it will become another point of recrimination and "if only" driving a wedge between you and partner as you get older.

Things have been worse - its still in living memory that Spain had a full shooting Civil War, France and Germany were at war but look how friendly they are now, Italy was at war, UK was at war, as were Benelux countries and Russia.
Things can be difficult, awkward or a breeze dependent on an individual's circumstances.

If you want the different lifestyle, with the added advantage of a good well paid job then go for it. Spain isnt the wild west of old.
And if it goes wrong for whatever reason then you can say you gave it your best and hold your head up high..

look forward to seeing you on the beach or up a mountain in the near future, in fact why not bring it forward to 2012
rgds
Dom
That is sound advice. One of the reason we keep going forward is due to the realization of how fast life goes bye. We do not want it to pass us and look back at all the chances we did NOT take.

I think at this age of my childrens lives, any experience will be wonderful

My son just started 1st grade, so 2013 is the earliest we can get there. It just takes a while.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bostonlady
Hello,

Thanks
Certainly there are problems, we had these last 8 years the worst government of all our democracy with Zapatero, but not the extrem of not collecting the trash, and if I remember correctly, there are jobs where need people, jobs like of you husband or merchant marine, for to put some examples

Last edited by Relampago; Jan 7th 2012 at 8:15 am.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:00 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Bostonlady are you American? If so there are restrictions to living and working in Europe as there are for us to live in the USA.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:08 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Bostonlady are you American? If so there are restrictions to living and working in Europe as there are for us to live in the USA.
ah - but she has said that her husband's company is transferring him - so presumably they will deal with the visa issue
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Taxation and health cover could be fun to sort out.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:13 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Taxation and health cover could be fun to sort out.
she said 'where his company has a presence' - which to me sounds like there is a Spanish arm of the company, so he'd pay tax & NI here so be sorted!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:52 pm
Needs the SUN

Originally Posted by lynnxa
she said 'where his company has a presence' - which to me sounds like there is a Spanish arm of the company, so he'd pay tax & NI here so be sorted!
We are Americans. My husband can work remotely where ever his company has an office. They have them in Madrid and Barcelona. THey will be assisting with the Visa issues.

As for health insurance..we have no idea as of yet, we obviously have private health insurance now and would probably have to continue with that. All the more reasons to have our departure date set for 2013.

Taxes, yes unfortunetly we will be paying Taxes Spain and the U.S. the U.S. will give us a small break..but not worth even mentioning.

But just for some clarity, we have ask the company for this move. There is no job my husband would be taking away. He would have his same position, same clients, same everything, but a different location. He works in computers and his world is "remote". He works with people in India, Canada and different parts of the U.S. each day. Its pretty cool when you think about it, 10 years ago that would have been impossible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.