Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Move from Scotland to Spain before end of transition

Move from Scotland to Spain before end of transition

Old Feb 27th 2020, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Move from Scotland to Spain before end of transition

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I should say even after those warnings I have written above.
Do not be put off by the idea of running a "b&b" in Spain.
I done it from scratch with little language skills. But I did purchase a Casa Rural (b&b) with a licences and as an established businesses. It helped no end to put my feet down and start right a way and gain an income.
well said
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move from Scotland to Spain before end of transition

There are no split tax years in Spain so if you arrive in Spain at any time in 2020 then your first tax year will cover Jan-Dec 2020, filed in 2021. IF you declare your house sale in Scotland to the Spanish then it will be subject to CGT - of course, there is no need to declare it on UK tax return if it is your only home as not taxable - unless you roll all the money over into your Spanish property. Basically, if you want to come pre transition end then CGT is due if you declare it. If you do not declare it, will the UK tell Spain? Given that your NI number is used by the lawyer who does the conveyancing in the UK it will be in the system somewhere but no idea if it works its way into the Spanish system when their computers talk to each other. Portugal does have split tax years so if you sell your house before arriving there you will be okay (as long as you have not been there at all in 202o prior to the sale). Unfortunately, at the moment it is not clear that if you register in Portugal (say with a rental) whether you will subsequently have FOM to move to Spain on pre-Brexit basis (seems unlikely at the moment, which is rather odd given the lack of border controls).
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 3:44 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishbull
Unfortunately, at the moment it is not clear that if you register in Portugal (say with a rental) whether you will subsequently have FOM to move to Spain on pre-Brexit basis (seems unlikely at the moment, which is rather odd given the lack of border controls).
I you are resident in the EU before year end, you will be able to register in Portugal OK under existing rules, but after that, you will be free to come to Spain (for no more than 90 days) and register to become a Spanish resident, but the rules may be very different regarding incomes, health etc as by then you would be a third country applicant.

What rules Spain imposes will depend to a large extend what rules the UK applies to Spanish citizens who wish to move to the UK. At the moment, the residency rules are harmonised across the EU, but when the UK is no longer a member the rules will be set by Spain, unilaterally.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 8:20 am
Just Joined

the_dd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice on here, I take on board the warnings and the advice, the move is still a viable option for us. I think waiting until post Brexit would limit our options to the golden visa as we are both self employed - if the Spanish go down the route of Brits requiring an employment contract (like the UK government is preposing, Spain already does this for Australians for example) - I don't see why they would not do this.

After further consideration based on this forum and other sources I think we would be looking to rent in Spain, we are currently booked to do some more recon visits this year (first up is a tour of the Alicante region - any suggestions? We have a list of places so far but always keen to here from word of mouth), keeping our house in the UK for the moment, have to look up tax implications for this. For us this is the research phase so all advice is always appreciated.

One of our major focus points will be education for our kids. The age of our kids is also a good reason for us to go now rather than wait, with our eldest being 6 it would be a good time for her to enrol in a Spanish school, learn the language and get familiar with the country and we'd be looking for an international school for secondary education.

Does anyone know were you can get detailed information on spanish schools (how good they are, the school rating etc..), or is the best way to call and arrange a visit?
Old Mar 7th 2020, 8:27 am
Just Joined

I should say even after those warnings I have written above.
Do not be put off by the idea of running a "b&b" in Spain.
I done it from scratch with little language skills. But I did purchase a Casa Rural (b&b) with a licences and as an established businesses. It helped no end to put my feet down and start right a way and gain an income.

Thanks for the advice, I think an established business would probably be the way to go for us.

Where did you find this business for sale?
Old Mar 7th 2020, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spainrico
I think AirBnB has really knocked the B&B market which is really not a big business in Spain. I agree with previous posters I do not think this is really viable to support all of you. Sorry but that is the truth IMO. Good luck.

More research here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain
Interesting the Airbnb chat on this thread. Does anyone have figures or is this based on anecdotal evidence?

For me Airbnb is a big challenge for the hotel industry/house prices and the feel of a town itself (look at what its doing to the Isle of Skye). If you are looking simply for a cheaper room than a hotel, Airbnb is a great option, however I'm not so sure how it compares to what a good B&B offers.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

B&B
You rent a bedroom, share a lounge area, in the morning breakfast may be prepared for you or its self service.

Airbnb
You rent the whole property and share with nobody else, choose breakfast to suit your taste.

Airbnb is often no more expensive than a B&B and can be cheaper for more.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bob_bob
B&B
You rent a bedroom, share a lounge area, in the morning breakfast may be prepared for you or its self service.

Airbnb
You rent the whole property and share with nobody else, choose breakfast to suit your taste.

Thanks, but I've stayed in both several times and had great experiences it all depends on what you're looking for.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

B&B
Airbnb
Is that the rule in Portugal, are you only allowed to rent whole properties out on AirBnB there? Just interested as we're Air BnB hosts in the UK.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 7:00 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_dd

Thanks for the advice, I think an established business would probably be the way to go for us.

Where did you find this business for sale?
A local estate agent. Not one aiming at non Spanish. Went into many to ask if there was anything like this for sale. Took time to find something, maybe a year. Now there is much more presence on the internet.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 7:29 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

B&B

Airbnb

Too simplistic, sorry.
AirBnB is just a listing portal/website anyone can list on there. Hotels, whole Lets, spare rooms, caravans, B&Bs and more. I am not going to give a link but if you search AirBnB you can find them. There are other portals which do the same.
In Spain the local market names are used are Casa Rural. This means a property located in the countryside. They are with the owner(s) living in the same building. Rented out on a room basis, with no access to the kitchen. All serve a breakfast. Some serve evening meals too. Most are limited to the amount of rooms which are rented out. This is defined usually by the local regulations.
Then you have whole lets casa rurals. This is a building (which is also located in the countryside), is completely rented out there is no food provided and you have access to the kitchen. Maybe the best description of these in English is a country cottage?
Then there are apartmotmetos turisticos. These are flats which are again rented out on a complete bases, the guests have use of the kitchen and food is not provided. These are obviously located in buildings of multiple floors.
When in towns and cities you will find Hotels and hostels. which are also rented out on a room by room basis. Further to the confusion you can also find theses located in the countryside too. when they are they will be larger than a Casa Rural.
When walking one of the many Camino you will also find albergues. To service the needs of pilgrims.
At the top of the tree are paradors! Government owned hotels, usually in historic buildings which have been repurposed.
There are camping sites and caravans too.

B&Bs do exist but in name only for those owners who wish to squarely aim at Northern Europeans.
I think that covers all types of vacation accommodation found in Spain

Old Mar 7th 2020, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Is that the rule in Portugal, are you only allowed to rent whole properties out on AirBnB there? Just interested as we're Air BnB hosts in the UK.
You will have to ask on the section covering Portugal. Spain is different!
Old Mar 8th 2020, 3:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to ask on the section covering Portugal. Spain is different!
Doh, I meant Spain! Just wondered why Air BnB was only for whole properties there but seems it’s not going on what you’ve said?
Old Mar 8th 2020, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Doh, I meant Spain! Just wondered why Air BnB was only for whole properties there but seems it’s not going on what you’ve said?
Loads of B&B type places.
300 plus
then there are hotels
another 300 plus
Old Mar 9th 2020, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Also some airbnb rent out shared accommodation ie, not the entire place to yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.