Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

To move now or to wait

To move now or to wait

Old Nov 12th 2017, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To move now or to wait

I totally agree with Lurchio. Better to try and deal with Brexit trying to use foresight rather than relying on hindsight. Yes doing that may be a bit of a gamble but then life is just that.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
I believe you are totally right. Best approach, if you can, is to 'beat the clock' and get formalised here before March 2019. Its totally naïve to think nothing will change after Brexit. You are totally in denial to think otherwise as believe it or not there will be little or no dispensation for the brits after March 2019. Why on earth SHOULD there be?
I dont believe there will be preferential treatment for Brits either , naive to think so , all that would do is cause bad feeling with every other non EU country in the world!
Old Nov 12th 2017, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I dont believe there will be preferential treatment for Brits either , naive to think so , all that would do is cause bad feeling with every other non EU country in the world!
Brexit negotiated deals and reciprocal agreements in my view are not preferential treatment. We already have some regarding pension rights with countries not in the EU? Also what is the actual date? Is it March 2019 or end of so called transitional period? The whole thing is shambolic and unknown to the public. You just have to try and do what you think is best and hope it works sadly.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 6:26 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Why should there be "preferential treatment" for Brits? Are they "special"?

Nonetheless, unlike Britain, the EU has no nationalist axe to grind, and again, the Spanish government has already indicated that existing British expats will continue to be welcome post-brexit. And there's no reason the EU as a whole shouldn't agree. Why not? No point in kicking out those who have established residency. Except of course, just to take a piss on Britain, which serves nobody. But I suppose if that's what YOU would do, it's reasonable to expect everyone else would. But only a small fraction of the world is British, despite what you may have been led to believe.

What happens after Brexit remains to be seen. But there's no reason to believe post-brexit, non-EU Brits will enjoy "preferential treatment". Why?
Old Nov 12th 2017, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Why should there be "preferential treatment" for Brits? Are they "special"?

Nonetheless, unlike Britain, the EU has no nationalist axe to grind, and again, the Spanish government has already indicated that existing British expats will continue to be welcome post-brexit. And there's no reason the EU as a whole shouldn't agree. Why not? No point in kicking out those who have established residency. Except of course, just to take a piss on Britain, which serves nobody. But I suppose if that's what YOU would do, it's reasonable to expect everyone else would. But only a small fraction of the world is British, despite what you may have been led to believe.

What happens after Brexit remains to be seen. But there's no reason to believe post-brexit, non-EU Brits will enjoy "preferential treatment". Why?
Spain may have indicated Brits will be welcome post Brexit .....as are any other non EU "foreigners" , from Americans to Zambians .....so long as the meet the criteria as tourists and are are not seeking employment.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 6:53 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

No, that wasn't the message.

The message is, that if you've already established legal residence, then you shall retain that post-brexit. However, as a non-EU citizen post-brexit, Brits will quite likely be subject to the same restrictions as say, an Australian. So if you aspire to live in Spain, it will likely be much easier to do now than post-brexit.

You can claim, if you wish, that all Brits will be kicked out after Brexit, but you fail to realise that the same motivations that exist in Britain don't exist in Spain. It's pointless to "kick out Brits". Has no practical benefit.

The same is true in Britain, but there's a misguided belief that foreigners are "bad", so Britain voted to get rid of them. Unfortunately, Britain is going to have bigger problems than "foreigners" now. But that's what it wanted...
Old Nov 12th 2017, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not sure that is quite right, who knows? Has Australia, America or Canada been a member state and left the EU? Surely that is what negotiations are about how a country leaving the EU is dealt with? After all I believe we, the UK are the first to tread this path so let's see what happens!
Old Nov 12th 2017, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Spain may have indicated Brits will be welcome post Brexit .....as are any other non EU "foreigners" , from Americans to Zambians .....so long as the meet the criteria as tourists and are are not seeking employment.
Does Zambia or America have pre EU reciprocal agreements with Spain ? Maybe that is the difference? Do you know this isn't the case that they will honour pre EU agreement's?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 11:06 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

I always believe in planning for the worst case scenario, which in this case post-Brexit, the UK would be lumped together with all other non-EU countries, being no 'special' case.

As mentioned before, to be issued a non-EU retirement visa in Spain you have to prove you have income of circa €30,000 or so per couple. This could well apply to anyone who hasn't achieved 5 years 'settled' status (the 'from date' tbc) in Spain. The UK has already proposed the same for EU nationals moving to the UK, and might be reciprocated. Worthwhile bearing in mind.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano
I always believe in planning for the worst case scenario, which in this case post-Brexit, the UK would be lumped together with all other non-EU countries, being no 'special' case.

As mentioned before, to be issued a non-EU retirement visa in Spain you have to prove you have income of circa €30,000 or so per couple. This could well apply to anyone who hasn't achieved 5 years 'settled' status (the 'from date' tbc) in Spain. The UK has already proposed the same for EU nationals moving to the UK, and might be reciprocated. Worthwhile bearing in mind.
I am with you, ,'Plan for the worse, hope for the best'. I am not sure if the ,'goalposts will be moved' for existing (read legal) residents in Spain that have not accrued five years officially here after the Brexit date. I believe the same will apply in the UK. If you officially there , but for less than five years at Brexit you will be allowed to stay until you can be granted 'settled status' as a seam less transition at five years 'in'. Thats why I personally think it's important to sort residency ASAP if you intend staying here. After Brexit, I can see the Visa system as you outlined kicking in, and why wouldn't it then? I cannot see any exception for the Brits, they will just be in the Non EU queues, its what we wanted. Isn't it??? Well, isn't it?

Last edited by lurchio; Nov 13th 2017 at 12:47 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
I cannot see any exception for the Brits, they will just be in the Non EU queues, its what we wanted. Isn't it??? Well, isn't it?
No, as the colonial master the Brits will retain all their rights while the Europeans will lose all. It is anyway enough for European simpletons to serve afternoon tea to their masters. They should be grateful for the British making everything more expensive and clogging Spanish roads and beaches. 🤓

Anyway I like to point out that the legal position of Brits will be infinitely worse after Brexit because they will lose EU citizenship. Foreigners even with residency will never have the same safety and rights as citizens.

Last edited by Assanah; Nov 13th 2017 at 1:40 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All one can do is what they think is best given the uncertainty. I agree with Lurchio if someone wants to stay in Spain post Brexit then get legal residency now while you can as it may well ensure you can stay but of course no guarantee but under the radar, I fear is fools gold with Brexit. As for post Brexit little point guessing we must wait for the final deal in print and also what sort of actual leaving we have finally got.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
No, as the colonial master the Brits will retain all their rights while the Europeans will lose all. It is anyway enough for European simpletons to serve afternoon tea to their masters. They should be grateful for the British making everything more expensive and clogging Spanish roads and beaches. 🤓

Anyway I like to point out that the legal position of Brits will be infinitely worse after Brexit because they will lose EU citizenship. Foreigners even with residency will never have the same safety and rights as citizens.
I am a Brit, I am totally with you as regards your second paragraph which makes perfect sense. Cuts all ways, everywhere I should imagine.

As regards your first paragraph, I honestly do not recognise myself or any of my ex pat friends in your almost generic description. Is that your EXPERIENCE of British you have met, or is it a presumption or something that's been conditioned into you? Just a question really, not a retort or defence!
Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Have I got this right?I am an old(very)British national living in Spain & some young thing might need to marry me to get to reside here? If so WOOPEE
Old Nov 13th 2017, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

OTA63 is an unknown quantity at this point

What happens if you live in Spain just before Brexit but do not get residency confirmed until after midnight on the 29th March 2019? And the 30,000 euro income would scupper a lot of people too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.