Reload this Page >

Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Old Apr 24th 2022, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

britishlondon30s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move back to UK or stay in Spain ? 2022

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I always say it and especially these days, it all comes down to your housing situation and what you expect from a move. What will you gain and what will you lose? If you are living rural and have a good bit of land that will last in the changing climate, that's worth a lot more to your kids in the future than a few British people. Where exactly do you live in Castilla y León and which part of the UK are you looking at? Although we have a home in the north east of Spain, I live in Ireland and it would be the same for me if I had to move to a more urban area. I could sell up here and it would just about be the deposit for a property I don't even like in Dublin, Madrid, London etc. I don't know what your house is worth, but I would take everything into consideration. Job market, childrens future are of course other factors. Maybe you could find more of the balance around Vigo, closer to sea, a bit more urban and still have affordable properties with land.
We live in a small rural area near Palencia... City is a good hour drive from us...house wouldn't be worth loads given the location ... It may contribute but would be looking to start over trading our big rural house with garden for a small house in the UK ..😬
Old Apr 24th 2022, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by growinspain
Move back to the UK and help make Britain "Great" again...

Just my opinion..
Haha!!! Home is home !
Old Apr 24th 2022, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishlondon30s
my husband is Spanish
This ^^ - presumably you would want your husband to move with you if you went back to the UK?
Have you looked into getting a visa for your husband? The UK has now closed its window for bringing EU spouses back to the UK under the WA resettlement,scheme, so unless I'm missing something, UK immigration rules would apply.. (Has to be said that even while the resettlement window was open, the system didn't seem to work too well.)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-europe
Returning to live in the UK
You continue to have the right to return to the UK in future.

Your close family members can join you in the UK if your relationship with them began before 31 December 2020, by applying to the EU Settlement Scheme until 29 March 2022. After this date the UK Immigration Rules will apply.

Old Apr 24th 2022, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by growinspain
Move back to the UK and help make Britain "Great" again...

Just my opinion..
Originally Posted by Ronnyone
I agree with the idea of getting Spanish citizenship. Especially if your kids have UK passports. They will never lose the UK citizenship but will also get EU membership. You will have to hand uk passports to Spain but given that uk allows dual passports you can just reapply for them in UK later.
This is interesting...something I've not though about and may look into ! Kids only have Spanish passports for now though !
Old Apr 25th 2022, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Come back to the UK? Fine if you have good jobs and money for housing. I'm based in the UK and although retired make a very nice living from a property portfolio and be under no doubt there is a housing crisis in the UK so you'll need either the cash to buy a property or jobs and a very hefty deposit for your mortgage. I've properties in the West Midlands and a couple in Winchester and prices have shot up. The properties I own in South Wales have gone up 30%+++ in eighteen months or so. The nice little terrace house you could pick up for £70k in 2020 are fetching £110-£125 and if I had ten properties ready to rent out I'd have tenants within days..

Unless you have money and or jobs I'd say relocate within Spain and remember, your children I'd guess are more Spanish now than English so how would a move work for them.
Old Apr 25th 2022, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
This ^^ - presumably you would want your husband to move with you if you went back to the UK?
Have you looked into getting a visa for your husband? The UK has now closed its window for bringing EU spouses back to the UK under the WA resettlement,scheme, so unless I'm missing something, UK immigration rules would apply.. (Has to be said that even while the resettlement window was open, the system didn't seem to work too well.)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-europe
Returning to live in the UK
You continue to have the right to return to the UK in future.

Your close family members can join you in the UK if your relationship with them began before 31 December 2020, by applying to the EU Settlement Scheme until 29 March 2022. After this date the UK Immigration Rules will apply.
HEllo...we were told getting a visa for him would be no problem as he meets the requirements 😊
Old Apr 25th 2022, 6:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

HEllo...we were told getting a visa for him would be no problem as he meets the requirements 😊
What visa would that be? Ancestry or spouse?
Old Apr 25th 2022, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I am no expert in this but presumably you will be sponsoring him so is it not more a question of you meeting the requirements as his sponsor? - sufficient income which shouldn't be too hard altho' if the kids don't have UK passports that might increase the threshold (?), a firrm upfront arrangement for adequate accommodation which may be harder, etc.

I am sure you can do it but there will be a cost and a certain amount of hassle which you might see as loading the dice in favour of Spain. Whereas if you had been looking at doing this a month ago when you could have moved under the Withdrawal Agreement it would have been a lot simpler or at least in theory.

https://www.migrate.org.uk/spouse-visa-uk-requirements/
Old Apr 25th 2022, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello !!

Thanks for all the responses here! Yea I'm late 30s...I have my own English buisness here so work is good for now...and my husband is Spanish and gets by in factory work. Living in a small village initially had its charms ... safe and young kids can run around here. However, on a personal note I do worry about future...as turning 40soon..this village seems smaller and the village mentality here plays a part too and I think would I personally be better off selling up and moving back to UK as now would be the time to do it as kids are still young. Buy with house prices in the UK at the moment...my house on the village wouldnt get me very far to begin with ..so I want to start from scratch ?
Everyone will have a different opinion and only you know what the main goal is here. If I had to move and rent again (bit older than you:-), that would be be my biggest nightmare and a huge drop in quality of life.
Any new location can offer advantages, but you still need the tools to make those advantages work. What about work for your husband and how easy will he find work in the UK? From what I read, you will continue with your business in the UK so are technically making the same amount money in a location where housing costs are a lot higher. Are you maybe worried that the business might fail and you would have more job possibilities in the UK? Village mentality can be found in every country, is it better than city mentality though?
Old Apr 25th 2022, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I go to Spain I miss England. It makes you realise what you have when your away from it. You could always have a holiday home in Spain and just have plenty of holidays. The UK is a privileged place to live without doubt one of the best places on the planet. A lot of people I know in Spain are there because they have to be. If they could return they would.
Old Apr 25th 2022, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Every time I go to Spain I miss England.
The obvious question is - why go to Spain at all, then????
Old Apr 25th 2022, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
The obvious question is - why go to Spain at all, then????
I don’t mind a short break. The Brits in the village also say loads of Brits have gone home for good. It seems to be a hot topic these days.
Old Apr 25th 2022, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I go to Spain I miss England. It makes you realise what you have when your away from it. You could always have a holiday home in Spain and just have plenty of holidays. The UK is a privileged place to live without doubt one of the best places on the planet. A lot of people I know in Spain are there because they have to be. If they could return they would.
When we just had a holiday home in Spain, I used to cry every time I had to leave to return to the UK. When I spend time in the UK now, after 3 days I am longing to get back to Spain.

Which proves nothing other than that we are all different, want different things and that you and I are both living in the right place for us.
Old Apr 25th 2022, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few probably do exactly that and have a holiday home. Unfortunately there is a lot of poverty in the UK too and not everybody is that privileged. I suppose we all have an image of a country and don't really see the real problems. When you are retired and happy in Spain, you believe that the whole UK is a rough place and everybody lives in poverty. These people also don't see the poverty in Spain and think that those living in a rural property without electricity have a great life and no worries and everyone else lives a happy life near the beach. I must admit that I feel privileged to be in our part Ireland and I was driving along the wild atlantic way in the sun this weekend and you could see all the Spanish and French enjoying the scenery and nice little villages. Of course I'm well aware that Dublin is a complete different place and these days people are struggling to pay the rent and don't leave their front door open all the time. It's the same when I walk along Playa de Fenals and see happy people on holidays. Unless you already own a property, try competing with wealthy foreigners who earn 3x your salary.
Old Apr 25th 2022, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Quite a few probably do exactly that and have a holiday home. Unfortunately there is a lot of poverty in the UK too and not everybody is that privileged. I suppose we all have an image of a country and don't really see the real problems. When you are retired and happy in Spain, you believe that the whole UK is a rough place and everybody lives in poverty. These people also don't see the poverty in Spain and think that those living in a rural property without electricity have a great life and no worries and everyone else lives a happy life near the beach. I must admit that I feel privileged to be in our part Ireland and I was driving along the wild atlantic way in the sun this weekend and you could see all the Spanish and French enjoying the scenery and nice little villages. Of course I'm well aware that Dublin is a complete different place and these days people are struggling to pay the rent and don't leave their front door open all the time. It's the same when I walk along Playa de Fenals and see happy people on holidays. Unless you already own a property, try competing with wealthy foreigners who earn 3x your salary.
I see. So you, as a privileged person, are able to have an enjoyable lifestyle whilst being aware that there are people living in poverty in both Spain and your own country. But somehow other privileged people can't have the same awareness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.