Reload this Page >

Motorcycles abroad

Motorcycles abroad

Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:10 am
Just Joined

James12345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Motorcycles abroad

Originally Posted by XTreme
Did he say he was a resident jdr? All I can see is the phrase "currently staying".
Obviously if he was a resident I'd tell him it was illegal for him to drive any vehicle that he may own (despite it being legal in every other EU country) if it didn't have Spanish plates.
I've heard they're taking this one stage further and making it illegal for Brit men to have sex with Brit women. Apparently it would only be legal for us to roger young senoritas instead.
So it looks as if regular trips to Carrefour Cartagena will be in order for me....I'd love to take the bike of course, but it got crushed by The Man!
I´m not sure if I am classed as a resident as I have a NIE number an work here but I haven´t applied for residency. I think there two different things as my parents live here and they are not residents. As for getting a spanish bike the problem I have is that I wouldn´t be able to get the bike insured because I have only had my licence a couple of months because over here if you pass your test you are restricted for two years, I think! I know that I would be able to ride a British bike however as I am not restricted to less than a 600cc on my license and wouldn´t be over here either using my british licence. I forgot to say I am 28 so my insurance would be really high in spain as its something like an R6 or GSX 600 i would like.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

torie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MnM
Keep in mind that to change plates (matriculate & homologate) a bike over 500cc here is about €1,000 to €1,500.

Hope I've helped in some small way.
I've imported 2 bikes from the UK to Spain and both cost me about the same to import - between €250 and €300... BUT, they were both relatively old bikes. A 1979 yamaha xs650 (apparently the only official xs650 in spain now.. actually, due to lousy paperpushers, the only x650 in the world!) and a 1994 honda NTV. I also did all the running about myself - and the folks at the ITV centre now know me by name! Haha.

I live here, but don't have anything like a residencia card - seeing as apparently they aren't required for working folks. But hey - who knows. That seems to change on a daily basis!

Best of luck! I agree - prices for used vehicles here are extortionate. If and when we need another bike, I would be inclined to look into buying one in the UK and importing it....

t0rie
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:35 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James12345
I´m not sure if I am classed as a resident as I have a NIE number an work here but I haven´t applied for residency. I think there two different things as my parents live here and they are not residents. As for getting a spanish bike the problem I have is that I wouldn´t be able to get the bike insured because I have only had my licence a couple of months because over here if you pass your test you are restricted for two years, I think! I know that I would be able to ride a British bike however as I am not restricted to less than a 600cc on my license and wouldn´t be over here either using my british licence. I forgot to say I am 28 so my insurance would be really high in spain as its something like an R6 or GSX 600 i would like.
If you are in Spain for more than 3 months then you should legally apply for a recidencia certificate, it is the same in most EU countries, but different time scales.
There is a link to all about it in the free beer thread at the top of the page.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

torie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
If you are in Spain for more than 3 months then you should legally apply for a recidencia certificate, it is the same in most EU countries, but different time scales.
There is a link to all about it in the free beer thread at the top of the page.
Oh bloody hell - it's like having a race where they keep changing the finish line! Ah well, I'll just claim ignorance until we can get around to spending a whole day at the foreigners' office in Girona. They don't seem all that bothered, considering we've been working here 5 years, paying taxes, etc and no one has actually let us know that they've changed the rules. Again.

t0rie
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:45 pm
Banned

Courageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really nice

Hi James - loving this thread hehe! I think I'm going to get along with Xdream....... I have posted a thread "come out of the closet all you bikers" as I'm new on the forum and looking for leather arsed companionship........ Have been running my uk bikes down here for a couple of years now and the limitation for me is the mot. So as Xtreme mentioned I have them down here (one of them insured with ebike) all insured with uk companies. Primary address in the uk and of course I am just visiting. If I have a bang and survive it if the insurance want proof of departure date from blighty then it came down in a van and I shall find proof accordingly. Far and away the most "practical" way of a brit owning a motorcycle here IMHO. I have bought new now so as to reduce my visits back to the ministry. Another tip for you as and when you decide to buy new either register it in Northern Ireland at a friendly address as you don't need MOT until 4 years old. Better still find a new wife in the Isle of Man where you will never need an MOT (but will eventually need a very good divorce solicitor hehe!)

>snip> there is a no advertising policy on this forum, put it in the classifieds forum.

Cheers.

Last edited by jdr; Jan 4th 2008 at 7:19 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:12 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good price for a Gay Hairnet....any photos cos I might know of a couple of guys who'd be interested.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:28 pm
Banned

Courageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really niceCourageous is just really nice

That's a good price for a Gay Hairnet....any photos cos I might know of a couple of guys who'd be interested.
hehe! Gay hairnet indeed..... Whats the forum limit on images?
Old May 26th 2008, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

steveb19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by James12345
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on bringing or buying a bike abroad.
Im currently staying in the south of Spain and want to get a motorbike. I'll be here for at least another seven months to a year and seven months. I wondered if it's correct that you don't need to register a british motorcycle as long as it leaves the country every six months. That may seem a lot of hassle but Morroco is only a couple of hours away and wouldn't be that much a hardship to go to every six months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated cheers.....
I have a place in Benalmadena.
I rode a British registered bike down two and a half years ago to use here. As I'm not always here and its not used regularly Ive had no probs, though I'll have to rid eit home soon for an MOT. What the hell its a ride!
Steve
Old May 26th 2008, 10:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveb19
I have a place in Benalmadena.
I rode a British registered bike down two and a half years ago to use here. As I'm not always here and its not used regularly Ive had no probs, though I'll have to rid eit home soon for an MOT. What the hell its a ride!
Steve
Whats your point
If you're resident here then its illegal, but its your risk I guess

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 26th 2008 at 11:00 pm.
Old May 26th 2008, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Courageous
Hi James - loving this thread hehe! I think I'm going to get along with Xdream....... I have posted a thread "come out of the closet all you bikers" as I'm new on the forum and looking for leather arsed companionship........ Have been running my uk bikes down here for a couple of years now and the limitation for me is the mot. So as Xtreme mentioned I have them down here (one of them insured with ebike) all insured with uk companies. Primary address in the uk and of course I am just visiting. If I have a bang and survive it if the insurance want proof of departure date from blighty then it came down in a van and I shall find proof accordingly. Far and away the most "practical" way of a brit owning a motorcycle here IMHO. I have bought new now so as to reduce my visits back to the ministry. Another tip for you as and when you decide to buy new either register it in Northern Ireland at a friendly address as you don't need MOT until 4 years old. Better still find a new wife in the Isle of Man where you will never need an MOT (but will eventually need a very good divorce solicitor hehe!)

>snip> there is a no advertising policy on this forum, put it in the classifieds forum.

Cheers.
Whilst I'm typing -anyone else from Benalmadena area can put me on to some bike meets or clubs for rideouts etc? My wife and I could do with some like minded company like back home.
Steve
Old May 26th 2008, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Whats your point
If you're resident here then its illegal, but its your risk I guess
Point was it was a reply
Old May 27th 2008, 6:01 am
Banned

Yeah - it SO illegal there are even companies down here who will sell you insurance on your British vehicle for the WHOLE year and then renew it year after year...... They must be like drugs pushers or something mustn't they? Bad bad putty tats..........

AND I must confess that i did 83 yesterday in a 80 zone........ Now where IS the virtual naughty step?

Steve - I don't spend much time on this forum any more as on another registration thread I got an utter (virtual) spanking (as well as having NO life some people become REALLY brave hiding behind anonymity, you absolutely know that they wouldn't be so obnoxious to your face). Enjoy ya bike and ride safe (which may not neccessarily be entirely legal).
Old May 27th 2008, 6:33 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - it SO illegal there are even companies down here who will sell you insurance on your British vehicle for the WHOLE year and then renew it year after year...... They must be like drugs pushers or something mustn't they? Bad bad putty tats..........

AND I must confess that i did 83 yesterday in a 80 zone........ Now where IS the virtual naughty step?

Steve - I don't spend much time on this forum any more as on another registration thread I got an utter (virtual) spanking (as well as having NO life some people become REALLY brave hiding behind anonymity, you absolutely know that they wouldn't be so obnoxious to your face). Enjoy ya bike and ride safe (which may not neccessarily be entirely legal).
Read site rule 3, if I remember you was telling people it was alright to break the law.

Of course insurance companies will take your money, and if you make a serious claim they will refuse it on the grounds of you gave the wrong information on the policy.

It doesn`t change the fact that if you are a resident (3 months in Spain) then your vehicles need to be matriculated to Spanish plates etc to be legal in Spain.
The only exception to this is if you are on a touring holiday and have spent less than 3 months in Spain and still have residence of the UK.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:20 am
Just Joined

I've only just joined this forum, thought it would be handy to see how other Brits coped in Spain.
As far as the bike goes I tried to buy a new bike (unregistered) to ship down to Spain to register there. The bike shops in my area Uk didnt want to know, probably because Uk is a police state now and they want to keep track of everything you do, spend and save.
As I'm not resident in Spain (though I own a home here) I couldnt see another way of doing it.
Any active bike clubs you can recommend?
Steve
Old May 27th 2008, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Just seen this now.....can't really advise on the licence aspect of things with all this DAS and Class A stuff. I passed my test in 1971 and in those days you just rode round the block twice while the examiner stood in a shop doorway reading the paper. Then when he'd finished the sport section he pulled you over, asked you a stupid question like "What's that?".....you answered "A bike?".....and he gave you a pass certificate and told you to piss off!

As for secondhand bike prices, there's a huge difference between here and the UK. Same with insurance......and most of the policies here are worthless TP only.

My advice? Buy something like a 600 Bandit over there.....great first bike after passing your test.
Insure it with E-Bike.....prices are good and you get 365 days Euro Cover. Get a full MOT and Tax before you leave and you're sorted.
When you go back to Britain, renew the MOT even if it's not due......so you know you're covered for any extended stays. And you can now renew your tax online.
Don't buy a second hand bike here.....the prices are a joke, and even though you won't find any rust, you'll find that most of them have the legacy of still having the same oil as when it first left the dealers from new.
I passed my bike test in 1964, something similar, twice around the block and then he kicked a football into my front wheel to see what my reaction would be!
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.