Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle in Spain

Motorcycle in Spain

Old May 16th 2005, 5:53 am
Just Joined

zx6r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motorcycle in Spain

I will be moving to Costa Del Sol in june and want to take my motorcycle with me which I have just bought this week.Is it difficult to get motorcycles transfered to spannish number plates?Has anybody else done this,any advise on motorcycling in Spain would be a great help.

Thankyou.
Old May 16th 2005, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Gareth Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Motorcycle in Spain

Originally Posted by zx6r
I will be moving to Costa Del Sol in june and want to take my motorcycle with me which I have just bought this week.Is it difficult to get motorcycles transfered to spannish number plates?Has anybody else done this,any advise on motorcycling in Spain would be a great help.

Thankyou.
Hi,
its never easy re registering a vehicle here, you would have been better off buying one here its cheaper and they are just the same, it will cost about 300 euros and take 6 months though, thats with the help of a gestor! If you want some information about motorcycling in spain, try www.bike-astur.com its a tour company that I know very well in Northern Spain. Good guy who runs it from Birmingham area lives near me in Northern Spain its not like the Costa Del Sol (Its so much nicer here!!)
Hope thats useful
Gar
Old May 16th 2005, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

torie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've imported two motorbikes into Spain. The first one was a Honda NTV650 which was only about 4 or 5 years old. It took 2 days - one day to get the extended ITV and the other day to go to Traffico and fill out the form and pay the tax at the Hacienda. I did it myself without the help of a gestor, purely because I'm a cheapskate and I'm impatient. Some gestors take AGES to do things. It cost around 300 euros in total with everything. REgarding import tax, that's calculated on the age of the bike, so a new bike might cost more. Saying that, I've heard (although I'm not certain), that importing as a 'resident' might get you a discount.. but don't quote me on that.

THe other bike was a yamaha XS650, 1979. That was much more difficult due to the fact that apparently there aren't any other XS650s in Spain. I had to get an engineer's report which cost 150 euros for that one, but then, because it was so old, the import duty was minimal. All in, it probably cost about 300 euros as well.

Best of luck!
t0rie
--
http://www.whangdoodleland.com
Old May 18th 2005, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about

".....its not like the Costa Del Sol (Its so much nicer here!!)"

Why do you say that ?
Old May 18th 2005, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

I think we all love the areas that we moved to and want to promote them, I think the area that I moved to is fantastic, but there again not everyone might not, I dont think Gareth Jones, meant any harm in his statement, Live and let live.
Peace to all
Old May 18th 2005, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about

Just a healthy interest in other parts of this lovely country, I assure you !
Old May 18th 2005, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

ps when do I get my second star ?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:22 am
Suzuki VL800

sgoodman29 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also brought my bike to the Costa del Sol and am in the process of registering it. Actually, I am getting our Gestor to do it.

Yesterday it passed its ITV test. Question. Does the sticker have to be displayed on the bike as it does with a car or is it sufficient, legally, to just have it with the paperwork? I'm a bit concerned that the sticker could be easily stolen.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

torie is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh! Something I know. Well, at least, here in Catalunya. I was wondering the same - as I see some bikes with ITV stickers and some without.

My XS650 went through it's 2nd ITV at the beginning of the month. (Apparently, it's a bit loud!) He asked if I wanted a sticker or not. It's not obligitory. I said no - as I've probably have to clean a spot on the bike to stick it on, then would probably have to clean ALL of the bike...

As for being stolen - I don't think that's a problem. Those stickers have to be scraped off with a glass scraper and consequently, you can't really peel them off as they'll get damaged and therefore invalid.

It's up to you if you want the sticker or not - at least, according to the ITV guy here in Catalunya. You might find it's different in a different province - so just ask at the ITV centre.

Good luck!

t0rie
--
http://blog.whangdoodleland.com

Originally Posted by sgoodman29
I have also brought my bike to the Costa del Sol and am in the process of registering it. Actually, I am getting our Gestor to do it.

Yesterday it passed its ITV test. Question. Does the sticker have to be displayed on the bike as it does with a car or is it sufficient, legally, to just have it with the paperwork? I'm a bit concerned that the sticker could be easily stolen.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:06 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Motorcycle in Spain

Originally Posted by sgoodman29

To answer the question quoted above…no you don’t have to stick the ITV pass ‘certificate’ on you bike. It is made for sticking on glass so it would only show the writing backwards. Our ITV station, in Monforte de Lemos, says that you have to carry it for inspection. Just like any other vehicles paper.
Importing a bike is easy. We imported a Honda Shadow. They are made for the American market, but we imported it from The Netherlands. The only things to note for us were the running amber lights had to be disconnected; having a headlight on all the time was a bonus! The other was the engineers report as like described above it was the only one here in Spain, or at least this part. Still Spares are available locally or on line.
If you do search on line about importing a car the process will be the same.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:48 am
Suzuki VL800

sgoodman29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Torie. Sounds like it is the same down here. I'll check with the ITV people but I have yet to see a bike with the sticker on it. The plates will be going to the Gestor so I'll check with him as well, probably get two different answers, but until the plates arrive I am told it would be illegal to put the sticker on anyway as it won't match the GB plates still on the bike.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 12:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meseta
ps when do I get my second star ?
You've got it.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You've got it.
Hi to all, do bikes get ITV'd at the same place as cars, and can you get the ITV if it is still on UK plates, and any tips on headlights ie lense chane over, do you have to inform DVLA in the UK before to take bike out of country.

Paul
Old Nov 30th 2006, 11:44 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Motorcycle in Spain

Originally Posted by PaulLes
Hi to all, do bikes get ITV'd at the same place as cars, and can you get the ITV if it is still on UK plates, and any tips on headlights ie lense chane over, do you have to inform DVLA in the UK before to take bike out of country.

Paul
Paul
Yes the ITV is done at the same Nave as all ITV including lorries! Wait until you have to go on the rolling road to test your brakes, it is great fun.
To import your vehicle, no matter what, you have to complete several hurdles. You have to do this in order so that all the paperwork is ok. It is quite lengthy but you can employ a Gestoria (sp?) to do all the work for you.
There are several questions that need to be raised here. Are you intending to have a NIE and register with the local town hall? If so then you can register your bike.
You have to pay various taxes, this is dependant on age of bike, how long you have owned it etc. There could also be a fee fro importation, yes another tax. These are paid at the local office for taxation.
You have to change the dip of the headlight to pass the ITV.
Once you paperwork is completed the local Traffico will want to keep the original V5. so it would be best to inform DVLC that you are going to export the bike, before you move to Spain. We can't help you with the period of time you have to export the bike. When we done it from The Netherlands they gave you export plates which only lasted two weeks. That was not enough time to do all of the paperwork.
Another tip is when you go to fill out all of these forms make sure you have plenty of photocopies of all the documentation you have. I.e. proof of NIE driving licence and others mentioned above. You will never know when you might need them
We must have forgotten something but someone else will be able to fill in the blanks….good luck
Old Nov 30th 2006, 4:23 pm
mr cid

cidshock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zx6r

Thankyou.
I also was going to bring my new cbr 600rr to almeria but the insurance is horrendous for some reson they are not too keen on big capacity machines.
it will not be a problem to change to spanish plates but you will have to get youre healight changed over to the left. But once youre here the roads are a dream.

happy riding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.