Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

motorcross tracks

motorcross tracks

Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

firtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nice
Default Re: motorcross tracks

Originally Posted by jdr
Getting stuck ?
I think back to my mates Austin champ with the roller engine, that had sort of cotton reel type things on the wheels.
You could tie a rope to a tree and put the other end on the reel and wind yourself out.
Its a wonder the yanks never copied that idea.

It was available in the USA during the sixties, I´ve seen magazine ads for such a device. Generally speaking it didn´t really catch on, bit too lightweight for any serious pulling power as the reel was bolted on to the wheel hub and liable to be wrenched right off when too much torque was applied to it.

Firtreesix
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

firtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big_john
Hi Firtreesix,

Have a Series 2 Disco, have had it from new 4 yrs old and have done 350,000 kms in it.
When we first bought it had it chipped and it's been a great vehicle for towing & off road, even pulled a Concrete lorry out of a ditch that he had slid into when we were out on some campo once ....and he was dead chuffed, but so was I cause when he hitched us up I thought this will never do it but, down in low low and she just pulled him out

Before that have had various swb,lwb, mk1 range rover

Ours is alway's off road as we don't have a road to our house we live 2ks down a forestry track, our nearest neighbour is 3ks away
So, you´re a Land Rover guy then...nice vehicles, though I have never had one. Parts are too expensive and hard to source in the USA. It´s Jeeps for me, learnt to drive in a Willys MJ back in the 60´s and have continued to drive Jeeps ever since. I still have a running 1946 Willys CJ2A back in Florida that I treasure.

Firtreesix
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by firtreesix
It was available in the USA during the sixties, I´ve seen magazine ads for such a device. Generally speaking it didn´t really catch on, bit too lightweight for any serious pulling power as the reel was bolted on to the wheel hub and liable to be wrenched right off when too much torque was applied to it.

Firtreesix
Yeah I know what you mean, but it wound us out a few slipups ;-)
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Originally Posted by firtreesix
So, you´re a Land Rover guy then...nice vehicles, though I have never had one. Parts are too expensive and hard to source in the USA. It´s Jeeps for me, learnt to drive in a Willys MJ back in the 60´s and have continued to drive Jeeps ever since. I still have a running 1946 Willys CJ2A back in Florida that I treasure.

Firtreesix
Hi Firtreesix,

What type of Jeep do you drive now, there are some tasty ones about Is yours straight or with a few mods to the susp.

I saw one on the Dodge forum which someone had with a SRT-8 lump in, now that would pull anything anywhere

I'm on another couple of forums Re: American Cars one is the Dodge forum & the other is for the new Challenger that is being brought out as I would love one of the new Challengers depending what engines they put in them, if poss I would love one with a SRT-8 engine, now that would be the dog's
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Big_john;4656878]Hi Firtreesix,

What type of Jeep do you drive now, there are some tasty ones about Is yours straight or with a few mods to the susp.

I saw one on the Dodge forum which someone had with a SRT-8 lump in, now that would pull anything anywhere

I'm on another couple of forums Re: American Cars one is the Dodge forum & the other is for the new Challenger that is being brought out as I would love one of the new Challengers depending what engines they put in them, if poss I would love one with a SRT-8 engine, now that would be the dog's [/QUOTE

Over here I drive a 1988 Jeep Wrangler YJ. As far as mods go, It sports a motor transplant, got a refreshed 4L fuel injected 6 cylinder turning about 180hp, 31X10.50 Mud terrains on alloy 15X10 rims with about 1" lift from extended shackles. I have a Skyjacker 3" suspension lift sitting down in the trastero waiting to be installed, just haven´t got there yet. Would like to upgrade the axle gearing from the current 3.07:1 to a 4.10:1 setup if I can locate a wrecked 4 cylinder Wrangler around here for the right price.

In Florida I have a couple of modded Jeeps that are strictly off road and designed for the swamps and mud. One is a 1973 Jeep Commando, lifted about 10", still running the 258 6 cylinder, but have 17X40 Swampers on 15X14 rims and have welded up differentials for full time positrack. The other is a 1979 CJ7 with a refreshed 258, riding on 35X10.50 Boggers mounted on 15X10 rims, currently having 4.88:1 gears with detroit lockers all round. Both very capable rigs in the gooey stuff.

Gotta love them big motors....I have a buddy that has a mud buggy with the big block 454 cu in powerplant and 72" tractor tyres...go vitually anywhere with that beast. I like the idea of putting an AMC 401 cu in a Jeep, just don´t seem to be able to find one.

My daily driver in Fl is a Ford F150 p/u with the 5.0L and a C4 automatic, lugging around a utility box on the back for all my tools, 4X4 of course. The 5.0 is the same motor as in the Mustang GT, a right screamer!!!

I guess you could say I am a Ford and Jeep kindofaguy!!

Firtreesix
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

[QUOTE=firtreesix;4659228]
Originally Posted by Big_john
Hi Firtreesix,

I'm on another couple of forums Re: American Cars one is the Dodge forum & the other is for the new Challenger that is being brought out as I would love one of the new Challengers depending what engines they put in them, if poss I would love one with a SRT-8 engine, now that would be the dog's [/QUOTE

Over here I drive a 1988 Jeep Wrangler YJ. As far as mods go, It sports a motor transplant, got a refreshed 4L fuel injected 6 cylinder turning about 180hp, 31X10.50 Mud terrains on alloy 15X10 rims with about 1" lift from extended shackles. I have a Skyjacker 3" suspension lift sitting down in the trastero waiting to be installed, just haven´t got there yet. Would like to upgrade the axle gearing from the current 3.07:1 to a 4.10:1 setup if I can locate a wrecked 4 cylinder Wrangler around here for the right price.

In Florida I have a couple of modded Jeeps that are strictly off road and designed for the swamps and mud. One is a 1973 Jeep Commando, lifted about 10", still running the 258 6 cylinder, but have 17X40 Swampers on 15X14 rims and have welded up differentials for full time positrack. The other is a 1979 CJ7 with a refreshed 258, riding on 35X10.50 Boggers mounted on 15X10 rims, currently having 4.88:1 gears with detroit lockers all round. Both very capable rigs in the gooey stuff.

Gotta love them big motors....I have a buddy that has a mud buggy with the big block 454 cu in powerplant and 72" tractor tyres...go vitually anywhere with that beast. I like the idea of putting an AMC 401 cu in a Jeep, just don´t seem to be able to find one.

My daily driver in Fl is a Ford F150 p/u with the 5.0L and a C4 automatic, lugging around a utility box on the back for all my tools, 4X4 of course. The 5.0 is the same motor as in the Mustang GT, a right screamer!!!

I guess you could say I am a Ford and Jeep kindofaguy!!

Firtreesix

Got yerself some nice rides there, I especially like the idea of the CJ 7, I just love it when the tough get's going just to see what they will really do, especially if they start sucking down

SWB'S alway's the best when it comes to tight turns on inclines

For the bits you want have you tried www.jeepclubinternational.com

If I hear of any through any of the Desguaces I'll give you a shout