Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

MOT runs out whilst in Spain - what do I do?

MOT runs out whilst in Spain - what do I do?

Old Jan 18th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: MOT runs out whilst in Spain - what do I do?

Originally Posted by snikpoh
... interesting. I've been told that it is very hard (almost impossible) to claim these sort of vehicle expenses as an autonomo.

Any one actually know the facts?

Having been autonoma for many years I have never heard that it possible to claim as expenses purely on the make of the vehicle. It is the activity not the vehicle which will decide what if any vehicle expenses can be claimed.

I had never claimed one centimo for the use of my vehicle yet I received a hand delivered summons from policia local one evening to report to an address 50kms from my home at 8 am the next morning. When I got there they dipped my fuel tank........ why? because they said I had purchased (in their opinion) a lot of heating oil in the previous (winter) months.
Later found out that all heating oil purchases are notified each month to Hacienda or the gestapo which in turn is trackable of course via my NIE.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:54 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
... interesting. I've been told that it is very hard (almost impossible) to claim these sort of vehicle expenses as an autonomo.

Any one actually know the facts?
Originally Posted by whitelinen
Having been autonoma for many years I have never heard that it possible to claim as expenses purely on the make of the vehicle. It is the activity not the vehicle which will decide what if any vehicle expenses can be claimed.

I had never claimed one centimo for the use of my vehicle yet I received a hand delivered summons from policia local one evening to report to an address 50kms from my home at 8 am the next morning. When I got there they dipped my fuel tank........ why? because they said I had purchased (in their opinion) a lot of heating oil in the previous (winter) months.
Later found out that all heating oil purchases are notified each month to Hacienda or the gestapo which in turn is trackable of course via my NIE.

This is why I asked where the information came from. If it is true then we need confirmation. I have been told similar to your two.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
This is why I asked where the information came from. If it is true then we need confirmation. I have been told similar to your two.
In my case the info came (over 9 years) from 4 different gestors, 2 asesorias fiscal, some local to my business 2 further away.

I even went to Hacienda, asking if there were any leaflets/booklets and they always said there were none.

That you me and Sniks have been told the same proves only one thing and that is the way that THEY want you do it in Spain but not that it is the the rule.

We live in a country where in 2010 the idiot Shoemaker can make a public speech stating that the self employed are all cheats working with black money. Until he is voted out and people realise the value of entrepreneurs nothing will change.

I have personally witnessed a property sale where the buyer was an official in Hacienda in Valencia who had insisted on buying the property using a mortgage and 100K in undeclared cash. The German seller was anxious to sell and was able to cope with the cash.

IMO running a legal business in Spain is far harder than being illegal.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I've never heard of such a thing and hopefully painterhombre can enlighten us.
Most vans big and small tend to be classed "commercial" even designated people carriers are classed as commercial, needing 6 monthly ITV.
I suspect the reason many SE people buy vans is the same as UK,practicality.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

I shall ask my gestor for confirmation of that and also it may be something that is ONLY in the communidad valenciana, sorry, not an expert, wasnt trying to be either, just what several people told me......

.....oh and why the hell else would they drive those awful th9ngs unless there was some fiscal reason to to do so!

possibly
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

In regard to OP.
For many years people have got away with this because the GC have no knowledge of UK MOT, also as you are entitled to drive here for a cetain time on UK plates it's not easy for them to prove the issue.
As such the GC have tended to steer clear of the hassle. I think this is changing and about time. If you are driving around in an untested car you are running the risk of injuring innocent people.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:48 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

It occurs to me that the OP could possibly rematriculate the vehicle to Spanish - the costs may outweigh those of returning to the UK and returning to this beautiful country

Davexf
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:35 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
I also as you are entitled to drive here for a cetain time on UK plates it's not easy for them to prove the issue.
As I understood the situation when it comes down to it, it's not down to them to prove it ...... the burden of proof is upon the car owner.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
As I understood the situation when it comes down to it, it's not down to them to prove it ...... the burden of proof is upon the car owner.
It is but usually when you get stopped at side of road the GC can't be bothered to try and translate UK documents and for you to provide ferry ticket for proof.
However,someting must have changed because all the expats where I am who have been living here full time and driving on UK plates for years are suddenly getting spanish plated cars.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:11 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Guilty until/unless you prove yourself innocent? In a European country in 2011?

(This is Spain, why am I surprised?)
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:20 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat

Yes, just like HMRC in the UK!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

I remember some years ago when the GC made a point of going out and stopping people between 2pm-5pm because chances was that they would be foreigners as everyone else was at home having a kip.
I think the logic was that due to lack of language and knowledge of spanish law they were easy targets. This was in the days of on the spot fines.
In all my years I have never heard of anyone being asked to prove how long they had been here on UK plates, I hope that's changed.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:34 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes, just like HMRC in the UK!
Really? Can you give me an example?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Spanish law is codified as is all European law and known as Napoleonic law. It is firmly based on guilty until proven innocent. Most Brits think UK law is innocent until proven guilty in the UK but given the way things are going in the UK I think that idea is fraying at the edges.

British law is different or indeed the opposite. Therefore in Spain there will be a code regarding driving vehicle for more than x days without matriculating. The onus will be on the driver to prove he has not which in most cases he wont be able because he has broken the law.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Can you give me an example?
As an Ex Customs Officer I can tell you that is exactly how they in the department view it. They are the most powerful body in the UK and they can do absolutely what they feel like. A customs officer could even enter your home without going to law to get a warrant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.