Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Most Radioactive Town in Europe?

The Most Radioactive Town in Europe?

Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Most Radioactive Town in Europe?

Apologies for The Independent's tabloid style scare headline...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...e-2198466.html

Can anyone living around Mojacar, and the Alcanzar valley give a local take on this story? I remember hearing something about 5 years ago when I was photographing the area, but never found reliable records.

Anyone know of a verifiable account of the original accident?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Most Radioactive Town in Europe?

The event happened over Palomares (Cuevas de la Almanzora) on Jan 17th 1966. A B52 was refueling and hit the tanker. Four thermonuclear bombs came down with the rest of the two planes. You can google for lots of info on it.
I think Chernobyl is a bit more radioactive, but the mayor here is shaking his heads.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say Chernobyl in the Ukraine has to take credit for that accolade.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
...I think Chernobyl is a bit more radioactive, but the mayor here is shaking his heads.

I'm more interested in the times of the accident. US airforce doing this stuff over Spanish airspace in Europe (I guess Europe was never really a continent), but I think I agree with The Independent putting the Ukraine somewhere else as part of the former USSR. Politically, if not geographically.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Most Radioactive Town in Europe?

Originally Posted by Lenox
The event happened over Palomares (Cuevas de la Almanzora) on Jan 17th 1966. A B52 was refueling and hit the tanker. Four thermonuclear bombs came down with the rest of the two planes. You can google for lots of info on it.
I think Chernobyl is a bit more radioactive, but the mayor here is shaking his heads.
Two were recovered from the sea almost intact one broke up on impact with the ground and thousands of tonnes of soil were removed and flown to the ConUS for storage. No one will say what happened to the fourth!!!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidente_de_Palomares - there are links and bibliography in English. An American major wrote a book about the events: 'The Bombs of Palomares' by Tad Szulc and I found another at amazon: 'America's Lost H-Bomb: Palomares, Spain, 1966' by Randall C. Maydew and Julie Bush (one of the four bombs fell into the sea and was either found while Franco was visiting, or a fake was substituted. Quien sabe?).
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Treegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant future

Does anyone know about "zones". I visited some people a few weeks ago and they live near the nuclear plant near Ascó, Catalonia. So close that they are in "Zona 1", so if anything happens they'll never know about it.

I was just wondering if there's any info to be found about these different zones. And find out where I am in relation to this plant.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:30 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Treegod
Does anyone know about "zones". I visited some people a few weeks ago and they live near the nuclear plant near Ascó, Catalonia. So close that they are in "Zona 1", so if anything happens they'll never know about it.

I was just wondering if there's any info to be found about these different zones. And find out where I am in relation to this plant.
I don't know about that, but I'm amused by the appropriate name Ascó! Bad enough to have such a name, but then they build a nuclear power plant there!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:46 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Two were recovered from the sea almost intact one broke up on impact with the ground and thousands of tonnes of soil were removed and flown to the ConUS for storage. No one will say what happened to the fourth!!!
I'm sure we can trust the States to have dealt with it honestly and properly.

Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I'm sure we can trust the States to have dealt with it honestly and properly.

Really!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:51 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Really!
How could you suspect otherwise?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
How could you suspect otherwise?
I've worked with the Yanks at molesworth and Lakenheath.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:00 pm
bil
Banned

I've worked with the Yanks at molesworth and Lakenheath.
Yeah. I remember the news people talking to some US cannon fodder in Iraq, and they made my blood run cold that these people were trusted with anything more dangerous than a burnt out match.

Compared to them the average British squaddie looked like Einstein.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:28 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

So the developers bought all the contaminated land around the area, built apartments and the British flocked to buy them
Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Treegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I don't know about that, but I'm amused by the appropriate name Ascó! Bad enough to have such a name, but then they build a nuclear power plant there!
Tis rather amusing

In a tragically ironic way...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.