Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The most popular retirement location for Brits

The most popular retirement location for Brits

Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:25 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The most popular retirement location for Brits

Originally Posted by HBG
Spain's attraction is much deeper than that. Throughout history it was a rival to Britain in our effort to colonise the world. We got North America, India, Pakistan and large parts of Africa; Spain got Mexico, South America and smaller parts of Africa.

When history corrected itself from all that nonsense and retreated to natural boundaries, and we got the EU allowing Brits a choice for retirement abroad, they picked Spain as the number one destination, not really a logical one considering the choices of Canada, Australia etc.

I don't know why we picked Spain, apart from the proximity, when a few hours extra flying time
would take us to English speaking countries with identical climates.

Could it be that our colonising instincts haven't yet left us and we're trying it again in Spain via the back door? We've already got English politicians elected in parts of Spain at a high level and there's a million of us over here, increasing daily.

Apart from that, where's the sense of adventure if retiring to Australia, as an example? It's just a carbon copy of the UK and you might as well stay at home.
I agree that Spain is steeped in history ,much as is the UK, and there is much to see and absorb,in the varied countryside and culture also.
However I doubt if that would in itself make it such a major attraction for permanent retirement, without it's advantageous climate.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I agree that Spain is steeped in history ,much as is the UK, and there is much to see and absorb,in the varied countryside and culture also.
However I doubt if that would in itself make it such a major attraction for permanent retirement, without it's advantageous climate.
I think the biggest attraction for expats are that cigs and booze are cheaper in Spain. That and the sun

Very sad, but I think that is about it for many
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:00 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I think the biggest attraction for expats are that cigs and booze are cheaper in Spain. That and the sun

Very sad, but I think that is about it for many
I think you'll find that most British pensioners don't smoke, drink moderately and take precautions with the sun. I come into contact with a lot of them here in Spain and have for years. I've never really been able to answer the obvious question, why Spain?

Most of them have done their homework before making such a big move and know that they will be faced with a foreign language and enough bureaucracy to make your head spin. The cheapness has long gone.

I've come to the conclusion that they want a challenge, an adventure upon their retirement. It takes quite an amount of courage to move to a foreign country late in life, Canada and Australia would have been a lot easier, and Cyprus and Gibraltar are just as near.

I admire the ones that take up the challenge in the same way as I admire the ones that sail away for years or buy a camper to see as much of the world as they can. It must beat staying where you are in the UK and only dreaming of an occasional holiday in a place the more adventurous have made their home.

The ones that live here are Brits with bottle.

Last edited by HBG; Aug 15th 2010 at 9:06 am.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. If you consider life to be an adventure, why stay in the UK doing what you've done before? OK, Tibet might work, but Spain is an ideal compromise.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:24 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I think you'll find that most British pensioners don't smoke, drink moderately and take precautions with the sun. I come into contact with a lot of them here in Spain and have for years. I've never really been able to answer the obvious question, why Spain?

Most of them have done their homework before making such a big move and know that they will be faced with a foreign language and enough bureaucracy to make your head spin. The cheapness has long gone.

I've come to the conclusion that they want a challenge, an adventure upon their retirement. It takes quite an amount of courage to move to a foreign country late in life, Canada and Australia would have been a lot easier, and Cyprus and Gibraltar are just as near.

I admire the ones that take up the challenge in the same way as I admire the ones that sail away for years or buy a camper to see as much of the world as they can. It must beat staying where you are in the UK and only dreaming of an occasional holiday in a place the more adventurous have made their home.

Don't agree.
I think they still see Spain as the easiest,simplest and safest option.
They probably prefer to be within reach of their homeland, in a country many of them may already be familiar with, than in a far distant less familiar place with long and expensive flights.
Most likely many of them still have friends and relations in the UK they want to keep in touch with, and flights are cheaper and more plentiful than to most other alternatives.
Cypress,(colder Winters) and Gib (tiny), are much more limited in what they have to offer compared to the vast expanse and numerous options in mainland Spain.
They also realize that their is no shortage of like-minded friendly fellow Brits in Spain to either help them out or keep them company
Old Aug 15th 2010, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HBG

The only Brits I know who smoke and drink to excess are or sadly were pensioners. We've lost count of the number who died in the years we lived in Oliva plus those who have died in the last seven years or are terminally ill. They didn't need protection in the sun as they never saw it. A few had lost their partners and none of them were poor. This is the sad truth about many British pensioners and most of them didn't speak a word of Spanish. Many had loving families in the UK who couldn't persuade them to change their lifestyle. I don't think those people had a Spanish dream as they had always worked in the Arab Emirates with big salaries and servants or other exotic countries and missed their lifestyles. In Spain their pound for many years went a long way.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
The only Brits I know who smoke and drink to excess are or sadly were pensioners. We've lost count of the number who died in the years we lived in Oliva plus those who have died in the last seven years or are terminally ill. They didn't need protection in the sun as they never saw it. A few had lost their partners and none of them were poor. This is the sad truth about many British pensioners and most of them didn't speak a word of Spanish. Many had loving families in the UK who couldn't persuade them to change their lifestyle. I don't think those people had a Spanish dream as they had always worked in the Arab Emirates with big salaries and servants or other exotic countries and missed their lifestyles. In Spain their pound for many years went a long way.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but ..... pensioners get old and die in the UK or Spain.

I think you are over generalising ..... living near Oliva I know few people like you describe, and certainly none that have worked in the UAE with servants

I think you do pensioners a disservice I'm afraid,

Oh, and theres no sad truth about some not being able to speak a word of Spanish. When you reach 65 I'm guessing its not so easy to learn a new language .... many try but cant pick it up ... it's a sham, but thats life!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but ..... pensioners get old and die in the UK or Spain.

I think you are over generalising ..... living near Oliva I know few people like you describe, and certainly none that have worked in the UAE with servants

I think you do pensioners a disservice I'm afraid,

Oh, and theres no sad truth about some not being able to speak a word of Spanish. When you reach 65 I'm guessing its not so easy to learn a new language .... many try but cant pick it up ... it's a sham, but thats life!

I only spoke of those I knew personally and they are now dead. I lived in Oliva from 1992-2003 and am also a pensioner and have pensioner friends in Oliva who speak very good Spanish enjoy a drink and live full lives.