Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

More Spaniards are seeking to work abroad

More Spaniards are seeking to work abroad

Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:33 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default More Spaniards are seeking to work abroad

http://www.diariosur.es/20100201/mal...-20100201.html

An agency in málaga says that more people are now seeking work abroad due to the lack of jobs in the province. Most popular countries are Italy, France and the UK.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:47 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More Spaniards are seeking to work abroad

Originally Posted by jackytoo

An agency in málaga says that more people are now seeking work abroad due to the lack of jobs in the province. Most popular countries are Italy, France and the UK.
I have heard of a lot going to Norway, too.

The wages are supposed to be very high, compared to other EU countries.

Most are going for quite menial factory jobs, the pay is probably not rated as good by the locals, but if they do a stint there and live as cheaply as possible, while they are theer most seem to think that they can survive back in Spain with the money saved.

It sounds like the 60 and 70s again, thats what the Spanish had to do then.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:12 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have seen old photos of Spaniards taking the trains to Germany. One of the comments below the article says something like...thanks to ZP he has taken us back to the days of Franco.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:22 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

At my husbands company, a few of his Spanish colleagues (IT professionals) want to get work in the UK....(they say UK has better prospects).
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:18 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I have heard of a lot going to Norway, too.

The wages are supposed to be very high, compared to other EU countries.

Most are going for quite menial factory jobs, the pay is probably not rated as good by the locals, but if they do a stint there and live as cheaply as possible, while they are theer most seem to think that they can survive back in Spain with the money saved.

It sounds like the 60 and 70s again, thats what the Spanish had to do then.
some of my neighbours are talking about moving to Sweden
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is, there is a strong Government/union protection for workers here in Spain. They are very expensive to fire and they get 14 (or more) monthly payments per year. Not bad if you can get it.
Which, rather obviously, many people can't.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 11:18 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lenox
Thing is, there is a strong Government/union protection for workers here in Spain. They are very expensive to fire and they get 14 (or more) monthly payments per year. Not bad if you can get it.
I am on one of those contracts. Most people think that it is 2 extra payments per year. It isnt. My salary is split into 14 rather than 12. If it was 12 payments I would take home more every month. My yearly salary is always the same.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

Think I read somewhere this week that Andalucia and the Canaries top the unemployment list with around 25%! Some must be desperate to consider Sweden, just for the change in weather alone. My brother lives there and it's a long cold winter, depressing, not for nothing do the Scandinavians have such a high suicide rate!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox

Hence many employers employ illegally as there only alternative would be to close down! Spain is very anti small business making it one of the most difficult/epensive places to be self employed in.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Hence many employers employ illegally as there only alternative would be to close down! Spain is very anti small business making it one of the most difficult/epensive places to be self employed in.
Spain has a very high rate of self-employed and small businesses. But yes, the social security payments are a drag while the business starts up.

If you want to fire someone and have no grounds for doing so you have to pay them 45 days compensation for every year they have worked with you. This can add up to tens of thousands of euros!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:19 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBANDY
I am on one of those contracts. Most people think that it is 2 extra payments per year. It isnt. My salary is split into 14 rather than 12. If it was 12 payments I would take home more every month. My yearly salary is always the same.
Same here, I'm on a 4 years 3month contract to replace someone who's retiring.

Originally Posted by cricketman
Spain has a very high rate of self-employed and small businesses. But yes, the social security payments are a drag while the business starts up.

If you want to fire someone and have no grounds for doing so you have to pay them 45 days compensation for every year they have worked with you. This can add up to tens of thousands of euros!
My boss took out some dead wood from our place last year and had to shell out 15 000E a piece to the employees.
Funny thing is though.....he got very busy very quickly and had to take them back on again. The employees gave him back 10 000E and got their contracts backand made 5 000E for nothing.