Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

More scare mongering?

More scare mongering?

Old Aug 16th 2014, 12:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More scare mongering?

Originally Posted by snikpoh

As this seemingly flies in the face of what I've previously been told, ie transfer tax needs to be paid, can anyone shed some light on the matter. It seems to be a great way around IHT in Spain.
Firstly, I think you are referring to Gift Tax, which is the same as IHT. Transfer tax is what you pay when you transfer ownership of a property, either by selling it or gifting it. It can be as high as 10% in some regions.

Under certain circumstances, such as transfers between a spouse, it is reduced to 1%.

If you give the property to your kids, there may be local rules that allow a reduced transfer tax, but it is the gift tax that is the real problem. Under the state rules, the tax is the same as IHT so by gifting it to the kids would save no money, and worse still, the tax has to be paid at the time of the gift.

That said, the tax breaks can vary enormously from region to region making it perfectly possible to gift the property to the kids with no tax to pay. This is probably what happened in the case you mention.

However, it is not a way of avoiding IHT as under the same rules, no IHT would be due either. Of course, bearing in mind that the rules in some regions have recently changed for the worse, gifting the house when the rules are in your favour might be a good bet.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 2:48 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Another option is to buy your property using a limited company. Maybe a good idea for some?
Old Aug 16th 2014, 3:12 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Firstly, I think you are referring to Gift Tax, which is the same as IHT. Transfer tax is what you pay when you transfer ownership of a property, either by selling it or gifting it. It can be as high as 10% in some regions.

Under certain circumstances, such as transfers between a spouse, it is reduced to 1%.

If you give the property to your kids, there may be local rules that allow a reduced transfer tax, but it is the gift tax that is the real problem. Under the state rules, the tax is the same as IHT so by gifting it to the kids would save no money, and worse still, the tax has to be paid at the time of the gift.

That said, the tax breaks can vary enormously from region to region making it perfectly possible to gift the property to the kids with no tax to pay. This is probably what happened in the case you mention.

However, it is not a way of avoiding IHT as under the same rules, no IHT would be due either. Of course, bearing in mind that the rules in some regions have recently changed for the worse, gifting the house when the rules are in your favour might be a good bet.

Thanks Fred, yes I meant gift tax and not transfer tax.

As you know, we are in the region of Valencia so I assume the tax breaks here must be good.

Could it possibly be age related as well?
Old Aug 16th 2014, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Be aware that the purchase of a house in Spain via a UK company has recently been declared illegal under certain tax laws, in Spain. There were in any event certain costs and dangers inherant if following the adverts of a certain W..... company well advertised in the local expat press.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 4:59 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Costa News - 15 August 2014

It seems unusual to post such a letter, but it really does sum up the current difficulties faced by expats.

I don't feel I need to add any further comment, but just like last year, a lot of expats are packing their bags.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell me what this as about as when I press your link, I get a blank page
Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Costa News - 15 August 2014

It seems unusual to post such a letter, but it really does sum up the current difficulties faced by expats.

I don't feel I need to add any further comment, but just like last year, a lot of expats are packing their bags.
Well, perhaps they should check out the real situation rather than the rubbish that is published in rags like RTN and CBN.

There is NO proposal to change the existing rule where residents over 65 can sell their prime residence with no CGT to pay.

What the government is proposing is that the over 65s who also have other assets such as second properties, stocks and shares etc, which at present are liable for CGT when they are sold, should be exempt from CGT if they reinvest the money in a government approved pension scheme.

That sounds like a positive more, rather that the negative situation that the Scaremongers are suggesting.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

I emailed the RTN and asked them to correct their misleading article in this weeks edition . They didn't
The general opinion on other forums was not to believe what is written in the freebies.
As many are not fluent enough in Spanish to read and make sense of the original a Spanish legislation, who can we trust?
Old Aug 16th 2014, 6:34 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The letter is the first letter in this weeks Costa Blanca News. The Costa Blanca News is not a freebie riddled with adverts, it is the only paid for expat newspaper and the most informed voice for British expats in Spain, and has been for at least 20 years now.

Perhaps the most important part of this excellent and informative newspaper is the comprehensive clubs and charities section listing all those voluntary organisations which exist purely to help fellow expats.

What expats suffer from is the misinformation doing the rounds, either misinformed or even downright malicious. I've got to sadly say that some of the tax advice on this otherwise helpful forum is atrocious and will lead to serious financial loss if followed.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 6:48 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

My friend in Spain was widowed just after Christmas. Their house is in joint names.

Will she have to pay any IHT or other taxes connected with the house (permanent residents)?
Old Aug 16th 2014, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by HBG
I've got to sadly say that some of the tax advice on this otherwise helpful forum is atrocious and will lead to serious financial loss if followed.
Would you care to be specific and identify any posts that you think are atrocious, rather than just give a general opinion. Also it would be helpful if you could identify the errors and suggest corrections.

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 16th 2014 at 8:47 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by scampicat
My friend in Spain was widowed just after Christmas. Their house is in joint names.

Will she have to pay any IHT or other taxes connected with the house (permanent residents)?
Probably not, but it does depend on the value of the inheritance.

So long as she retains ownership of the house (she does not necessarily need to continue to live there) then there is no tax to pay so long as the amount of the inheritance was less that €175k.

That is the law in Andalucia - other regions have different rules which may be more or less favourable.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HBG
The letter is the first letter in this weeks Costa Blanca News. The Costa Blanca News is not a freebie riddled with adverts, it is the only paid for expat newspaper and the most informed voice for British expats in Spain, and has been for at least 20 years now.

Perhaps the most important part of this excellent and informative newspaper is the comprehensive clubs and charities section listing all those voluntary organisations which exist purely to help fellow expats.

What expats suffer from is the misinformation doing the rounds, either misinformed or even downright malicious. I've got to sadly say that some of the tax advice on this otherwise helpful forum is atrocious and will lead to serious financial loss if followed.
Allow me to explain.
I read the letter in the CBN, which I have read for years.The writer is referring to an article published in the
Round Town News, southern edition, the previous week, which wrongly stated that ex pat pensioners WOULD lose their exemption from CGT.
I don't know why the writer wrote to the CBN instead of the RTN, as there was no mention of the subject at all in the CBN, surprisingly.
As I said, I emailed the RTN to complain , still awaiting a reply.
The general opinion of these free papers is not good.
Many people believed the article , and it has caused unnecessary worry.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
Probably not, but it does depend on the value of the inheritance.

So long as she retains ownership of the house (she does not necessarily need to continue to live there) then there is no tax to pay so long as the amount of the inheritance was less that €175k.

That is the law in Andalucia - other regions have different rules which may be more or less favourable.
Hopefully the person concerned doesn't live in Murcia, where there is NO regional allowance, in which case the bill may be very high, as it will be on the value of the worldwide assets.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 2:50 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Hopefully the person concerned doesn't live in Murcia, where there is NO regional allowance, in which case the bill may be very high, as it will be on the value of the worldwide assets.
She lives in Granada province.

Thanks for your input, and also Fred James, very helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.