Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

More mosquitos than previous years?

Wikiposts

More mosquitos than previous years?

Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:40 am
Banned

HelenLC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More mosquitos than previous years?

Is it just me or are there a hell of a lot more of the damn things than ever. We cannot use the terrace after 9.30 in the evening without getting eaten alive!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:09 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More mosquitos than previous years?

Originally Posted by HelenLC
Is it just me or are there a hell of a lot more of the damn things than ever. We cannot use the terrace after 9.30 in the evening without getting eaten alive!
I don't know about mosquitoes but we have more wasps than ever before and I can't seem to find their nests this year.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:16 am
Banned

Not noticed an increase in wasps just mozzies, can anyone recommend a repellant that works
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:46 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Not noticed an increase in wasps just mozzies, can anyone recommend a repellant that works
Check for any still or stagnant water anywhere close where they may be breeding and take appropriate action if possible, they will even breed in a bucket containing a drop water that's been left standing for a short while, unused pools are another popular spot for them.

Problem my way has been the huge numbers of ticks this year.
Unfortunately the various preventative measures aren't always a 100% effective, so my dog has had some serious problems.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Where I live nor where I am right now I have not been that bothered this year. I spray myself every morning and evening with Halley and am wearing a mossie bracelet from the UK. Sand flies are my worst nightmare so have a tube of Forever Living Aloe Vera Gelly at hand which calms them down and saves them developing.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Check for any still or stagnant water anywhere close where they may be breeding and take appropriate action if possible, they will even breed in a bucket containing a drop water that's been left standing for a short while, unused pools are another popular spot for them.

Problem my way has been the huge numbers of ticks this year.
Unfortunately the various preventative measures aren't always a 100% effective, so my dog has had some serious problems.
I have a fish pond that is still and I think this may be the cause, although in previous years we have had no problem. Do you know an effective treatment that will not kill everything in the pond?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I got bitten a couple of times when the weather first turned warm, but since then, nothing. I don't use any type of insect repellant either on my skin or in the house, and we have the windows open all night (with no mossie screens). We live in town with not much vegetation (apart from terrace plants) around, and no areas of water nearby, so maybe that helps.

From June to September I take an anti-histamine tablet every day (mainly because I can suffer an allergic reaction to strong sun) but it also means that if I do get bitten it doesn't itch.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:29 am
Banned

We have just bought some bracelets and repellent liquid from Icelands and will give them a go tonight, has anyone tried the electric lantern things that you plug in and do they work?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future

I have a fish pond that is still and I think this may be the cause, although in previous years we have had no problem. Do you know an effective treatment that will not kill everything in the pond?

Get one of those little childrens' fishing nets and skim the surface of the fishpond (I am assuming the pond is not enormous in which case you will need a larger net)! every day...and dump the contents out on dry gravel or anywhere in the sun. You'll see the larvae in the net as little black wriggly things and they can't survive without water. Hope this helps!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:58 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to get eaten alive every year yet my wife sleeping next to me is usually bite free!!
This year, it´s not so much the number of bites but the severity. Where as I was left with the annoying itchy remains of a bite, this year they seem to be much much worse whereby I am left with blisters!!!!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:59 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

I would have though the fish eat the larve. If not get one that does.
I don't have a pond, but a tank & they love any live food.

Suzi
Old Jul 26th 2013, 8:49 am
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil spray (the blue marked bottle) works well for me as a repellant. I dilute it, 1 part oil to 4 parts water. I don't know why it works, it smells pleasant to me but presumably not to mozzies.

It was recommended by someone on this forum I believe.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:05 pm
Banned

Thank you for all the tips , I will definately try the fishing net trick as I remember we had hundreds of those little worm things in the pond earlier in the year, didnt realise they were mozzie larvae. The stuff we bought from Icelands seems to work well though as we were able to sit outside till well after dark last night and nobody got bit.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

I've been bitten on two nights, one of those they got me 6 times on the calf. I now have 2 devices plugged in, one that has the "aroma" they're not supposed to like and 1 that's electrocuted about 5 "victims"...not sure they were all mozzies though