Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

More Leaving Than Arriving?

More Leaving Than Arriving?

Old Jun 28th 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More Leaving Than Arriving?

Originally Posted by amberandjason
I think people go home because of work. We bought into a dodgy franchise here in Spain. I am sure if we had done more research we could have avoided this but it took a chunk out of our savings and we are now having to go out on our own and find work which is really hard, we really don't want to go back but reality is if we cannot find work we will have to. Our lives here are not enriched with money but our family life certainly is enriched, at the weekend we get time to go to the beach, at 10pm we can go for a family swim with the kids, go to the park and not have to wait for the rain to stop, my 4 year old was very moody and grumpy back in England and he is like a new child, extremely happy in school he has a wonderful time with teacher's that enjoy their job, to hear him out playing gabbling on in spanish is wonderful, we put him in the valenciano class but at least he is only 1 of 3 English children in the class the total class is only 15, our 3 year old starts in September and she will be the only English child in her class. I have found the Spanish health system to be very good and we are the happest we have been for a long time.

We will not go home without a fight and have money for another year to make it work.

We don't want the earth, we would like to be rich but then who doesn't, we just want enough money to survive and be left with memories that will be with us forever.

Here's hoping for a successful year.

good luck, i hope it works out for you!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 10:14 am
Just Joined

scottydan is an unknown quantity at this point

I am moving to Fuerteventura with my best friend within the next year.

I thin many people move there not knowing a thing on what to do. Then all there savings quickly go and they have no work.

All mainly cus theycouldn't be bothered ot take time with it.

me and my friend are currently learning Spanish and will NOT move until we can speak fluent Spanish. Also then when we arrive we will be having accent training to enhance our language.

We are NOT moving there to communicate in mainly English with other English people who have moved. We are moving to become a part of the true Spanish way of living.

If people can't integrate because they can't be arsed to learn the language. If they think it's all going to be fun and games and sun. Then get them out of Spain. As I heared already in this thread.... "it's no big loss"!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scottydan

me and my friend are currently learning Spanish and will NOT move until we can speak fluent Spanish. Also then when we arrive we will be having accent training to enhance our language.

We are NOT moving there to communicate in mainly English with other English people who have moved. We are moving to become a part of the true Spanish way of living.

If people can't integrate because they can't be arsed to learn the language. If they think it's all going to be fun and games and sun. Then get them out of Spain. As I heared already in this thread.... "it's no big loss"!
I should think I will only be the first of many who reads this and thinks that you must be looking quite a few years ahead then

I am afraid you underestimate the problem by a mile ( or should I say several years)

Look at the many postings by folk who already live in Spain and have become as much a part of their community as possible.

I believe you are quite right about learning Spanish but way out on how quickly this can be done to the standard you refer - speaking Spanish fluently.

We have been trying to learn the language for just over 6 months and have been doing an hour a day but I know from visiting twice in that time that learning at home in the UK can only give you the basics. God help you when you go to use what you know- speed is what floors you - that is speed of response by the Spanish person. Next is, where are you? If you are in several parts of Spain you will not understand a good deal of what is said to you as it isn't the textbook Spanish or CD Spanish you have studied.

Just got to keep on trying however, like a lot on this site who have lived in Spain for years. I am not talking about those who don't try to learn but those who obviously embrace their lives in Spain.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 10:56 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta agree. Highly commendable to learn as much as you can before you go, but there is a real limit as to how much you can learn without immersing yourself in the culture.

If you have the intentions you post, and you do go to a Spanish area, then I think you will end up speaking pretty good Spanish.

Fluency is a very debased term, because it means so many different things to so many different people.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justlookin
I should think I will only be the first of many who reads this and thinks that you must be looking quite a few years ahead then

I am afraid you underestimate the problem by a mile ( or should I say several years)

Look at the many postings by folk who already live in Spain and have become as much a part of their community as possible.

I believe you are quite right about learning Spanish but way out on how quickly this can be done to the standard you refer - speaking Spanish fluently.

We have been trying to learn the language for just over 6 months and have been doing an hour a day but I know from visiting twice in that time that learning at home in the UK can only give you the basics. God help you when you go to use what you know- speed is what floors you - that is speed of response by the Spanish person. Next is, where are you? If you are in several parts of Spain you will not understand a good deal of what is said to you as it isn't the textbook Spanish or CD Spanish you have studied.

Just got to keep on trying however, like a lot on this site who have lived in Spain for years. I am not talking about those who don't try to learn but those who obviously embrace their lives in Spain.

I know what you mean theres so many different ways of speaking spanish. I have taken quite a few routes to learning Spanish.

I use rowsetta Stone Spanish - (Spain) _ Latin American.
My computer has been formatted with Windows XP - Colossus Spanish. So it is ALL in Spanish.

Websites I use such as Facebook have been put into Spanish.

I Use Spanish websites and Spanish chat rooms (I'm crap on them but it will become easier.

I used to live with latin american Spanish folks living in Miami, Florida.

I have text books and numerous audio CDs.

I Have Spanish music.

All in all although I am in England I have allowed Spanish to become a part of my everyday living. I don't just sit down and study for an hour but have spanish around me all day due to my computer, music, movies, text docs, websites, study programs etc.

Everyday I feel I become more and more comfortable with the language.

Besides taking the time to want to learn the language and taking so much interest in it is better than the majority who just move there hoping things will work out. Also may I add I mentioned going to school in Spain to enhance my language.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scottydan

I thin many people move there not knowing a thing on what to do. Then all there savings quickly go and they have no work.

All mainly cus theycouldn't be bothered ot take time with it.

Mate,as a second generation immigrant,(Spanish parents) ,looking to return to Spain,I can only thank you for your common sense approach,and say your the sort we welcome in Spain!

Fluency,will be an uphill struggle,without being there,unfortunatly.My best advice would be to get a strong base in the language,with your attitude it can be done in about a year,you will hear howls of protest that it can't be done,but that would be frankly speaking,bollock's.
After getting the base,move out,and learn to speak the language as Spaniards speak it,I think you'll do great!

What do you plan to do workwise?

Bienviendo a Espana,companero!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lcortez
Mate,as a second generation immigrant,(Spanish parents) ,looking to return to Spain,I can only thank you for your common sense approach,and say your the sort we welcome in Spain!

Fluency,will be an uphill struggle,without being there,unfortunatly.My best advice would be to get a strong base in the language,with your attitude it can be done in about a year,you will hear howls of protest that it can't be done,but that would be frankly speaking,bollock's.
After getting the base,move out,and learn to speak the language as Spaniards speak it,I think you'll do great!

What do you plan to do workwise?

Bienviendo a Espana,companero!
Thanks it's nice to know I would be welcome :-). Learning Spanish in a year is doable. I have heared success of people leanring to get by from 6 months learning.

I am not sure what I will do for work yet. I am making sure I have enough savings to support myself for a good few months. Thats to at least cover 4 months rent thought I'd prefer savings of 6 months.

This gives me month to settle into the community, join school to study more Spanish, sortout all legal stuff, permits and such and take a break before settling into my new life.

I don't care even if I have to start with labour work. I am not moving to Spain to life the life of luxury not yet anyway). I am moving there for a better way of life and your work should not be your life.

I will take what job I can get and work my way up from there.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:43 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking Spanish fluently does not necessarily give you access to the spanish job market. Unemployment is high amongst Spaniards too, enchufĂ­smo is still around and kicking.

Sorry, but I have never met anyone being fluent by Rossetta stone
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:48 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how you define fluent.

I would say that true fluency will always evade you. It's like Xeno's paradox. Give a tortoise 100 yards start, and you can never overtake it.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Speaking Spanish fluently does not necessarily give you access to the spanish job market. Unemployment is high amongst Spaniards too, enchufĂ­smo is still around and kicking.

Sorry, but I have never met anyone being fluent by Rossetta stone
Oh I agree. There are also many Spaniards with good qualifications and experience who are unemployed also, but knowing no spanish doesn't help at all.

Also Rowsetta stone is just ONE of many things I am doing to learn Spanish as I already laid out.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Personally,I always recomend self employment in some field,a smart guy can always make money.
Re the savings 6mths would be great,but would say about 1yr,or near to if poss
Will pm re th enchufismo,.out of politness to other posters!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Personally,I always recomend self employment in some field,a smart guy can always make money.
Re the savings 6mths would be great,but would say about 1yr,or near to if poss
Will pm re th enchufismo,.out of politness to other posters!
I don;t think I would have the savings to set up my own work. I wil have some savings but I'm only 20 coming up to 21.

The best time for me to leave and start a life in a place with the kind of people I prefer and the language I love.

Still I don't mind starting off in a shop or hotel cleaning.... I am capable of doing far greater things with my life but as I sais I'm only 20. Plenty of tim ahead of me to make something of myself.

Everyones gotta start somewhere.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Same age as me,mate,turned 20 on 8th June
Where are you thinking of living?
Old Jun 29th 2008, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Same age as me,mate,turned 20 on 8th June
Where are you thinking of living?
I turned 20 last October 1st.

Moving to Fuerteventura.

So whats your story anyway? We all have one. Send me private message if you want.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inherited few places,in La Nucia & Benidorm from my parents,have one for my own use,gave the other two to my older sister!
Will be moving,(finally) around Christmass,and will be working as a self employed Locksmith!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.