Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

More about Spanish Primary Schools

More about Spanish Primary Schools

Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future
Default More about Spanish Primary Schools

I did post a question on the end of the GCSE´s, but think its not going to get seen.

Spanish State Schools
Can you only register once or twice a year. I have been phoning many schools, and all the Spanish ones, private and state say I have to go there in January or February. Even when I went to my local school the other day she wouldnt give me the papers to register. Is this right?

The International Schools..which are not my preferred choice at all, are being very welcoming and I can go and see them straight away, infact have an appointment today to see one.

Questions
Is it true, I have to wait till January to register to try for my daughter to start in the September?

When children go up a year in a Spanish School, is it in September or January?
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More about Spanish Primary Schools

Originally Posted by j0197
I did post a question on the end of the GCSE´s, but think its not going to get seen.

Spanish State Schools
Can you only register once or twice a year. I have been phoning many schools, and all the Spanish ones, private and state say I have to go there in January or February. Even when I went to my local school the other day she wouldnt give me the papers to register. Is this right?

The International Schools..which are not my preferred choice at all, are being very welcoming and I can go and see them straight away, infact have an appointment today to see one.

Questions
Is it true, I have to wait till January to register to try for my daughter to start in the September?

When children go up a year in a Spanish School, is it in September or January?
Guess why International Schools are welcoming....... money

When my grandson registered they could only do it at a certain time of year, also get all the required paperwork ready, padron etc.

I would imagine they change classes the same time as the registration time.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Of course the money!

But then you start thinking, well if its hard enough just to get your kid in to register and talk to anyone, whats it going to be like to see the teachers and or head master when your child is actually there.

What would be great is if there are any young people on this forum who have gone to Spanish Schools and or the International Schools to see if they were happy there and if they think their parents made the right choice.

Our main priority is that she speaks, reads and writes english and spanish and has all the opportunites if she wants them.

These International Schools teach Spanish between 2 and 4 times a week for 45 minutes. Maybe its because we are older that we dont see how a child can get a good grasp of the language, but because they are so young, they will.

I never thought it would be so difficult and can see why so many of my friends have gone back to their home countries for schooling.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

caroig is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by j0197
But then you start thinking, well if its hard enough just to get your kid in to register and talk to anyone, whats it going to be like to see the teachers and or head master when your child is actually there.

Our main priority is that she speaks, reads and writes english and spanish and has all the opportunites if she wants them.

I never thought it would be so difficult and can see why so many of my friends have gone back to their home countries for schooling.
I'm not sure where you are living, but where I live I know that the children my daughter goes to Nursery School with now are probably the very same ones she's going to be sitting finals with in 16 years time.
There are bound to learn English by default just with the contact they have with you and family back home.

Perhaps a little investment in Spanish lessons would prepare you for her first parents evenings too.

We may be expats but there is no reason at all that our children should be, that would be a real shame!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

caroig is an unknown quantity at this point

and in part answer to your question, yes it is september that the school year starts.