Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Monthly transfers using Moneybookers

Monthly transfers using Moneybookers

Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Monthly transfers using Moneybookers

Has anyone used Moneybookers to transfer money from the UK to Spain? We are looking at ways to transfer our company pensions each month now our current fixed rate contract with HIFX is coming to an end. Moneybookers gives a good exchange rate and a low fee to transfer, and it looks easy to do on line. Is it too good to be true?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:44 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly transfers using Moneybookers

Dunno, but Crown was.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 8:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I use Currencies Direct now since Sun Pay closed down. CD seem to offer a good r/ex and dont charge fees. You have to have a monthly d/d to achieve this though. Also they have waived fees in the past when I have asked to make an extra transfer
Old Nov 1st 2010, 8:46 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I use Currencies Direct now since Sun Pay closed down. CD seem to offer a good r/ex and dont charge fees. You have to have a monthly d/d to achieve this though. Also they have waived fees in the past when I have asked to make an extra transfer
Err .... but before using Moneybookers google the name
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use sunpay which I quite liked also till it closed down. Also have used a couple of different ones making regular trasfers but found that sods law took over and my transfers seemd to be on the down days for £/euro. Recently I have been using exchange4free as you can monitor their rate on line which allways seems competitive with others and then when you consider its the right time book your rate and make the transfer. I have found this has saved me a bit of money. I make the transfer by bank transfer to them they send you text mesages at each stage i.e when you book the rate, when the money has transfered to them and when they have made the transfer to your overseas account which is usually 1 to 2 days. Also no fees other than what is built into their exchange rate like all the others. Like I say suits me and a few extra euros per month mounts up over the year beter in my pocket than anyone elses.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:58 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't trust any of them, a lot can happen in a day or two as we saw with Crown. There are so many companies now. If you have a good relationship with your UK bank they will give you a good deal. Many people transfer quarterly and it is a lot of money to put at risk. 5 euro in the hand is worth ten in a bush....or a frozen bank account
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

i think we could see the problem with crown they were offering far too high an exchange rate to be true in the end. I mention my experience as it may suit some but not all i.e. having a set transfer date by direct debit either with your bank or other means can be very restrictive with the fluctuations in £/euro rate over the last couple of years. Why it suits me is I can monitor the rate online as it changes all the time and when I believe it suits transfer easily. Down side of course is you montor the rate but not dificult as we probably as has been mentioned before allready all monitor it fairly closely anyway.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:27 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I wouldn't trust any of them, a lot can happen in a day or two as we saw with Crown. There are so many companies now. If you have a good relationship with your UK bank they will give you a good deal. Many people transfer quarterly and it is a lot of money to put at risk. 5 euro in the hand is worth ten in a bush....or a frozen bank account
The other exchange companies had apparently been reporting Crown for months, because it was clear they were offering impossiby good rates to their clients. However they were not fully FSA regulated so nothing could be done. They were also reported to HMRC who control currency movements but nothing was done. What happened therefore took a lot more than a few days - as someone keeps saying, if it seems to good to be true then it probably is!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

If a company is FSA regulated what exactly does that mean to us if they go bust? Would we get our money back? Both exchange4free and Moneybookers say they are FSA regulated.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:34 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Val W
If a company is FSA regulated what exactly does that mean to us if they go bust? Would we get our money back? Both exchange4free and Moneybookers say they are FSA regulated.
If they were FSA regulated they would have to provide documentation and systems to the FSA and work to a standard, and when the complaints started the FSA would have been able to send people in to investigate. As it was, they couldn't.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 3:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Val W
According to the newspapers, currency transactions are not covered by the FSA compensation scheme.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed that our money is fixed at that exact moment when the pound/euro dips. Funny that!