Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Money Transfers - What Rate Did You Get?

Money Transfers - What Rate Did You Get?

Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:14 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money Transfers - What Rate Did You Get?

Dazzle, where do you get the money out from? We are near Chiclana (Vejer) and would like to be able to withdraw cash like that, but need to know where the outlets are.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Just received 1.22 from Currencies Direct this month which seems particularly low. Has anyone bettered it?
I have been using HiFX. If you change £5000 or more you usually get 1.5 cents less than the Pound rate on BBC teletext.Which is normally about 5 or 6 cents better than the Tourist rate They do not charge for transfer and absorb any receiving charges by your bank
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bil
Dazzle, where do you get the money out from? We are near Chiclana (Vejer) and would like to be able to withdraw cash like that, but need to know where the outlets are.
I can use any ATM, usually it's a servired one in the Novo Centre but that's just for convenience as it's the nearest, I have used others.

The only drawback is that there is a daily limit of £250 for security purposes so I do have to make daily visits, although I do have 2 seperate accounts now which helps!

It's worked very well for me for the last few years and I also have a Nationwide credit card, the exchange rate is good on that too although I don't take cash out on it.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:44 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Where's the Novo centre?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:51 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bil
Where's the Novo centre?
The commercial centre in Novo Sancti Petri across the road from the Barossa Hotels.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:02 am
bil
Banned

Is that in Chiclana? I haven't had enough time yet to find my way around Chiclana. Most of the time I'm in Spain I'm hard at work!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:08 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Yes it close to Chiclana, it is the area where all the hotels are just past La Barossa and before you get to Roche. Just have a look at Google Earth.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:16 am
bil
Banned

OK, thanks.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:32 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Just received 1.22 from Currencies Direct this month which seems particularly low. Has anyone bettered it?
Hiya

See my thread Smart Currency Exchange on page 6...may help

Regards

Mel
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dazzle
They always give a good rate and make no charges which is brilliant for me who wants to deposit sterling in the UK and withdraw Euros in Spain.

I once took 300€ out of both my NatWest and Nationwide Accounts at the same ATM at the same time. When I got my statements NatWest charged me £11 more than Nationwide!
I have a Halifax a/c in Spain with nearest branch in Seville so I
usually use ATMs in the Nova Centre or around Chiclana. I always get charged approx 1.65euro per withdrawal when using my Visa card I am considering changing to Nationwide so wonder if a fee is charged when using an ATM other than one belonging to Nationwide.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bil
Where's the Novo centre?

It's not the ATM that is significant here bil, it's the Nationwide account as they are the ones who decide what rate/charges you will have to pay so you would be able to use one near you.

I do steer clear of using machines in shops etc though as they sometimes make their own extra charge for using them (as they do in the UK).

To open a Nationwide Flex Account has been one of the best pieces of advice I've ever received - it must have saved me a fortune!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:23 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

Barclays have just opened a branch in Chiclana so may be worth investigating what they can offer.
Looking at their website it looks quite comprehensive
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sonnyc
I am considering changing to Nationwide so wonder if a fee is charged when using an ATM other than one belonging to Nationwide.
No I've never been charged a fee by Nationwide for using any ATM, either in the UK or abroad.

As I said earlier, the only fee I've ever been charged is if the machine owner levies one and these are usually in shops etc.

It's also worth mentioning that this is with a debit card for a current account which I only use for Spain, I don't have a salary paid into them at all but if I use my Nationwide Credit Card to withdraw money I would have to pay a fee (as you do in UK) but not on any purchases.

I have transferred money from the UK by bank transfer (from current account) and they do make a charge for that - about £20 I think and the money reached my spanish account the next day, so good in an emergency.

Last edited by dazzle; Apr 7th 2008 at 3:33 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

bizzbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like some of you are not real the bank exchange rate at the moment is low and stands today at 1.2656 and has not been above 1.27 for some time so you will be very luck to get over 1.228. Sun-pay.com charge £7.00 looking on their web site so you have to look at all the options which ever you use. If you have a monthly standing order/DD then some do not charge charges like Curencies direct.
Just look at all the sites
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:51 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bizzbie
Sounds like some of you are not real the bank exchange rate at the moment is low and stands today at 1.2656 and has not been above 1.27 for some time so you will be very luck to get over 1.228. Sun-pay.com charge £7.00 looking on their web site so you have to look at all the options which ever you use. If you have a monthly standing order/DD then some do not charge charges like Curencies direct.
Just look at all the sites
We got 1.25 last week with Banca March, we have accounts both in UK and Spain with them and we always get higher than most other banks with them, we are not charged each time as we paid a one off payment of £36 back in 2003.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.