Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:26 pm
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Originally Posted by Rixxy
Dyou know what - my parents bought a villa here 25 years ago with a view to living here. They had own business and for 13 further years there was always an escuse not to move.

12 yrs ago I made the move here having decided against the classic Oz move - and felt immediately at home! Young kids etc etc.

2 weeks later my parents landed on the doorstep and have never looked back! But they do regret not moving sooner.

Its like anything, there is never a right time to buy a house, have children, retire, move country etc.

Crikey I sound wise (or old!)
I well agree with you rixxy! how old were you when u made the move and what did do back in uk for living ? and what made you want to move ?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:50 pm
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

Gosh I was 28 then (now you know how old I am now, sneaky).

At the time in the UK I had just finished 2 years at the insitute of legal executives as always interested in law so decided to study and become qualified via that route (2 very young kids at home as well so worked around them) Before that I had been a mortgage broker at the time of the high interest rates so pretty much killed that one. Before that I worked in real estate office in London which was owned by a proeprty developer I had also worked for! So many years experience in all fields.

Came here, started waitressing (another previous position - silver service) whislt ex-hubby was electrician/handyman/man and van.

We decided to make the move the year before coming here so had actually planned a little bit althoughnot much. Had a little savings and sold our house which was the main part of the capital. I realized I needed some trade that could see me anywhere in the world - law was great but no good here! So I self retrained as...... a childrens entertainer. Became tilly the clown - facepainting, games and magic shows. Did this here for many years and it was a great business, good fun and worked with my kids as well. The sories about the live magic rabbit I could tell you... And others!

Anyway, hubby couldnt settle here, he went back where he still is in the UK and I stayed with kids.

I then started a rental and management business - which I still have after 9 years and then 4 years ago the auction house (used to attend many with ex-boss)

Stopped the kids parties a couple of years ago but I will restart in my retirement and still do the odd trick

Wanted to move as just felt unhappy and unsettled in the UK. I guess the finish for me were actually 3 incidents.

1. Walking along the pavements in UK always being scared stiff of my daughter ionly being 3 yards in front of me with the pushchair that she could be snatched off the streets - I wouldnt let them play in the front garden for the same reason

2. Yobs throwing glass at kids in the playfround - when told off they threatened my ex hubby - all 6ft 2 of him with you cant do anything I will have the cops on you if you touch me and

3. Coming back from a kids party still painted up as a clown (yes, yes) and stopping at traffic lights. A 10 year old gang came to the car, tried to get in shouting 'wot you done to your f*****g face?' Luckily through habit the doors were locked but I pressed on the horn and nearly caused an accident getting on the accelerator.

I realized it was only going to get worse and now all I worry about is the kids being hit by a car or stepping in dogg doo - nothing in comparison.

Phew - long typing!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 4:21 pm
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

shame are countrys turning out that way and i think its going to get a lot worse aint rixxy ! ive been in motor trade for bout 10 years was selling sports cars up till about 3half years ago and then started selling vans i use to love selling always got buzz when i did a deal ! but slowly i think ive pushed my self to the limit and burned my self out forever working and having no time out and never switching off from work when at home! im very nervess bout going to spain worried what if i cant find work , is really that hard to find a job out there rixxy ? not that im gonna work straight away i want to have BIG CHILL OUT for a while then go from there !
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:42 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
Crispygirl. I assume you have private medical cover and this is already deducted from your monthly 1,000 euros? What is actually left to pay for out of that 1,000 euros exactly it cannot be everything can it ie electricity, Gas, car tax and insurance and all your food and drink can it

Cheers
We also live on around £1000 euros a month and this includes everything apart from large one-off purchases which are funded from savings.

We do not have private medical insurance as we are covered on my husband's E121, we only have dial-up internet, one car, no Sky subscription (but we didn't have that in England either).

Our house is paid for so we have no rent or mortgage.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:43 am
Still young member

Hi Pjj - yes it does look like its getting a whole lot worse. 3 teenagers shot dead in London etc etc.

I had a good chill out when I got here - we kept saying must find work must find work but couldnt be bothered. Got to it eventually then worked too hard (easy to get sucked in to it) now have a good balance.

To be honest even though I was an immigrant (still am I guess) I have never been out of work. As long as you are prepared to turn your hand to anything you will be fine. For example - sold a house tuesday - it completed, and today we are personally clearing out some of the furniture for the buyer (free of charge) so as long as you will be hands on you will be fine.

From sales to cleaning to gen maintenance to mechanics, there is loads of work here.

In 12 years I havent had a quiet day with nothing to do or needing doing.

Good luck with it - join us pioneers!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Hi there,am looking to relocate to Spain in Nov '07,and just wondering if working as a self employed locksmith would be a viable option to make a living,or if the market is all unionised and hard to get into?
Any advice or pointers would be greatly apreciated,cheers!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:45 am
pjj
sun lover

Hi Pjj - yes it does look like its getting a whole lot worse. 3 teenagers shot dead in London etc etc.

I had a good chill out when I got here - we kept saying must find work must find work but couldnt be bothered. Got to it eventually then worked too hard (easy to get sucked in to it) now have a good balance.

To be honest even though I was an immigrant (still am I guess) I have never been out of work. As long as you are prepared to turn your hand to anything you will be fine. For example - sold a house tuesday - it completed, and today we are personally clearing out some of the furniture for the buyer (free of charge) so as long as you will be hands on you will be fine.

From sales to cleaning to gen maintenance to mechanics, there is loads of work here.

In 12 years I havent had a quiet day with nothing to do or needing doing.

Good luck with it - join us pioneers!
THANKS RIXXY
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:28 am
Still young member

Your welcome pjj!

Locksmiths always needed. There is a guy we use has a nissan vanette kitted out and he is busy morning to night changing locks etc. You will do well.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Thanx very much for that,Rixxy,any idea on the sort of rates charged in Spain,
was planning on reducing UK rates by about a third,then changing Pound sign to Euro,does this seem about right?
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:46 am
Still young member

Well no idea about uk rates as havent lived there for 12 years (yes very very lucky me)

Got a simple barrel change the other day to a main door. Guy had to drill it out as the keys were missing (tenants) but the door itself was open.

He charged 89 euros inclusive and was there maybe 10 mins. The lock if you are familiar with the main ones here is a double locking thing and I can buy them w/o discount from around 35 euros including 5 keys.

Security locks can be a lot more.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes that seems to be about the amount I was aiming at Thanx v much!!!
ps;you said tenants,do you rent properties long term?,that would be of a lot of interst to us,wife will be teaching English(again self-employed).
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:17 pm
Still young member

Hi ya - yes still have a couple although Im getting out of the long termers now - too much aggro.

Im based Marbella though - I think your going other end (the damper place past Malaga - ONLY JOKING!! )

If you are Im sure there will be others who can help you out.

Good luck
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wish it would rain!! Last time Iwas there it was so hot,couldnt sleep indoors!,had to take mattress upstairs to sleep on roof terrace!Everyone though I was loco
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome pjj!

Locksmiths always needed. There is a guy we use has a nissan vanette kitted out and he is busy morning to night changing locks etc. You will do well.
but how do you know ?? lcortez hasnt mentioned an area they are moving to - if they can speak Spanish - to start a business in Spain and suceed is very hard work, you dont know what type of person they are, as in if they will be motivated enough to get things off the ground

Dont get me wrong but I think when people ask these general questions and people respond "you will do well, there is always a call for xxxxx" it could give the wrong impression

There are several franchise locksmiths around that I know of and probably more down south so there may not be as many opportunities as you think

My advice lcortez would be to suss out the area you are moving to, look in the local papers and see what services people are already offering - then find something else to do !!!! the reality is that if there are too many people giving the same service prices are driven down (good for the customer) and therefore potential earnings could be considerably less than you expect
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Will be living in La Nucia area nr Benidorm,or poss Alicante,have done as much research as poss on internet,doesnt seem to be much more competition
than there is here in London.Motivation not a problem as for me,being of Spanish heritage its more a question of going home than emigration,also I'm used to being self employed as have never worked for someone else,language no problem!
However do appreciate the thrust of your post,in that your not trying to be negative just realistic,and it is appreciated .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.