Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:19 am
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Do you have an exisitng account in the UK - I managed to get one but only cos hubby had an account with Lloyds TSB. Otherwise you could try an account in Gibraltar which is similar to UK and at least speaks english and have higher interest rates.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Or : let me open you one in Jersey or Isle of Man ?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:44 am
Still young member

Good idea - nicer place than Gib to go to when withdrawing 10 euros....
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

No need to ever go there oneself ( uless U want to ? ) :
- use the ( free ) Gold Visa at ATMs and tills worldwide instead !
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:12 am
Still young member

Sorry - was taking the micky there - just sounds great to tell the pals - off to Jersey today to get dosh out or the bank.

No they are agood aidea, the only downside is you have to have money!!!

Do they take much to set up - running costs etc can they be in differing currencies and do you have to put a certain amount in every month??
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

I'll try & PM U later , O.K. ?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:44 am
Still young member

Tnx perfect
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:24 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Sold up moved out here, we have a nice house, in a nice area and a swimming pool, and we live on 1,000 euros a month. That's it nothing else, we have to watch most of our pennies (or would that be cents) as we run a car and all other household bills but we still go out most days for a coffee and sherry and eat out at least once a week and have a very good diet of meat, fish, fruit and veg.
Crispygirl you make a good point that the wife and I have been discussing. I've been teaching English in Madrid for the past year and it's a nice part time job (good money as well) and the wife said she wants to join me, we could live on what we'd both earn (including savings for the summer when their is less work) but the problem is neither of us are good at being furgal that and we rent rather than own so I'm always concerned about rent increases

I've also noticed the long Spanish work day, you typically get 2-3 hours for lunch and it's added on in the evening. Think about that for a moment, you leave the house at 8am and get back home at 9pm, that is typical Spain. Worse is almost (particularly in Madrid centre) everything shuts down as well so you can't do your shopping or appointment in between. Personally I'd prefer to give up the siesta and get home earlier.

I haven't had time to make it down south yet so I'm curious to see what the big attraction is, why everyone wants to live there.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:01 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pjj
ive got friends out that way very nice place, when are you making the moving out there lionda ?

We should have completed last October but are still waiting for the paperwork to be sent to the Town Hall, or so we have been told, hopefully we should get over in April but I'm not holding my breath
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

I haven't had time to make it down south yet so I'm curious to see what the big attraction is, why everyone wants to live there.[/QUOTE]

isn't mostly the retirement option , as in
sunshine + ( somewhat ) lower CoL than U.K. and NW EuroLand
that is the attraction ???
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:41 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big Pete
You have just confirmed what i needed to read.. Smarties spot on as usual ..
you know it I know what you will do as well. You will retire to Spain sooner rather than later and play lots of golf in the sunshine. Now me, well I have never played golf but I am going to learn he he. We (me and the missus) will go hell for leather to learn the lingo and from there its plain sailing.

I have heard all the "but you will be bored comments" from friends and family. Listen to me, I will be bored at 65 when I am retired in the UK and too old to make the move to Spain probably (assuming I am around then) so why not be bored in Spain at 45 with good knees to go hiking with and a half decent back to golf with . I refuse to be 65 in the UK and run the gauntlet of teenage hoodies on the street corner because guess what, when I am 65 it will be todays hoodies kids on the street corner!! No sir, not for me I am afraid They would knock me over and rifle the baked beans out of my string bag in no time.

Hmmm, you will be in Spain soon Pete just like me. You have no excuses, I will be penny pinching but I'm going for it
Old Feb 14th 2007, 7:15 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
you know it I know what you will do as well. You will retire to Spain sooner rather than later and play lots of golf in the sunshine. Now me, well I have never played golf but I am going to learn he he. We (me and the missus) will go hell for leather to learn the lingo and from there its plain sailing.

I have heard all the "but you will be bored comments" from friends and family. Listen to me, I will be bored at 65 when I am retired in the UK and too old to make the move to Spain probably (assuming I am around then) so why not be bored in Spain at 45 with good knees to go hiking with and a half decent back to golf with . I refuse to be 65 in the UK and run the gauntlet of teenage hoodies on the street corner because guess what, when I am 65 it will be todays hoodies kids on the street corner!! No sir, not for me I am afraid They would knock me over and rifle the baked beans out of my string bag in no time.

Hmmm, you will be in Spain soon Pete just like me. You have no excuses, I will be penny pinching but I'm going for it
You must of read my mind , i could have typed that word for word ..

Can you imagine what the Uk is going to be like in say just 10 years time ?? Scarey isnt it .. Thats why i know i am making the right move ..
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:58 am
Still young member

Crikey - after watching the news from here theres no way wild horses would drag me back to UK.

Guys - there is no 'good' or 'perfect ' time to move

Just go for it - you wont regret it!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:25 am
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rixxy
Crikey - after watching the news from here theres no way wild horses would drag me back to UK.

Guys - there is no 'good' or 'perfect ' time to move

Just go for it - you wont regret it!
Thats very true rixxy ive been going through the emotions and at the end of the day there s never a good / perfect time to move you can keep coming up with a hole lot of different excuses why not to go and then before you know it will be claiming your pension and still in the uk just follow your dream !
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:52 pm
Still young member

Dyou know what - my parents bought a villa here 25 years ago with a view to living here. They had own business and for 13 further years there was always an escuse not to move.

12 yrs ago I made the move here having decided against the classic Oz move - and felt immediately at home! Young kids etc etc.

2 weeks later my parents landed on the doorstep and have never looked back! But they do regret not moving sooner.

Its like anything, there is never a right time to buy a house, have children, retire, move country etc.

Crikey I sound wise (or old!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.