Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:00 pm
  #31  
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,359
crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

I think we are in that age bracket where we are in the last 10 to 15 years of our working life and big changes are about to take place. We have had a few friends that died suddenly in their forty's and fifty's, there one minute and gone the next. I also now of people that died quite soon after retiring, this played a big factor when we decided to give it all up and enjoy what life we have left together, luckily we never had as much as Big Pete to give up, but even so what we had was earned with hard work and now we are reaping the benefits.

I think if you are a workaholic (I know thats the wrong spelling) in the UK you will be one no matter where you are, we have a friend that is retired but still gets up really early, always got to do something, can't just sit down and read a book, go for a walk, enjoy the life, everything is done to day can't leave until to morrow, I think might as well have stayed in the rat race, but hey that's his retirement and he is happy. And as for keeping up with the Jones', we have never had that problem, thankfully.

Last edited by crispy; Feb 11th 2007 at 5:06 pm.
crispy is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 7:18 pm
  #32  
this is me
 
gallerie9's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Jerez
Posts: 832
gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

I knew I needed to get out of the rat race when my boss said to me
"Your job is your life"
I came out of the office thinking, did I hear that right ? My job is my life ?
I went home that night and said I think we should go for it now not wait a few years.
My job was not my life. I worked to live, not lived to work.
And give me the simple life any day, no stress no hastle.
Where we live the word is tranquil.
I didnt want to wake up one morning thinking is this what life is ?
We are having an experience, this is not a rehearsal this is the real thing.
Life is for living and now we are.
gallerie9 is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:37 pm
  #33  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoping to get away from UK to Spain
Posts: 1,826
Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Good stuff guys and thanks for that . I know in my head i am making the right move and i am sure you can understand the little moments when you get the sudden panic "Am i making the right move ? syndrome" ,.

Regarding pensions nope never bothered believed the business would be run by the kids and that would be my pension , but kids not interested so that theory went out the window all my money is in the property and the business ..
Also always felt young and figured will get round to me pension later and then suddenly was old , no doubt you all know that feeling ? i feel another thread coming on lol "When did you suddenly switch from young to old ? )

I will find plenty to do and will look round for a new business to play with out there no doubt.
Its a viscous circle here can earn the money to get the toys in life have No Time or the weather to enjoy them !!

Hoping a compromise will be made when i move and while i am only Semi Old at 45 ..Is that to young to stop ? but what if i have a heart attack at 52 ?? 7 years ? If only we knew when we are going to die right ?
Big Pete is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:34 am
  #34  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 62
DrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to all
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

I admit I haven't read the whole thread, but I just wanted to comment on the "50 hour" workweek of the original poster. Don't assume in Spain the workweek is any shorter!

Because of the crazy Spanish schedule, in many jobs work hours are much longer than in the rest of Europe. In an article in El Pais just last week I read that the work day of Spaniards is TWO HOURS longer in average than the average of the 15-member states European Union. If you work as a secretary, office clerk etc. typical hours are 9am-2pm, 5pm-8pm, which if you live in a city means you are away from home 13 hours.
DrStarsky is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:44 am
  #35  
Democracy advocate
 
Cape Blue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,880
Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
Thanks for the input , its all useful , as after all life throws big decisions at us all .

I have personaly seen very good friends aged 53 , 62 , who have worked solid all there life , the 62 year old bragging "only a few years to go til i retire in the sun " (ps; the 62 year old was worth about 2 million but was as tight as a ducks bottom ! so his 3 kids will now be rich !! ) has severe headaches goes to the doctor , put in hospital do checks , find braintumor !! Dead 3 months later !! the 53 year old happy go lucky chap goes out for a Indian has a few beers , goes to bed wakes up at 4am with severe chest pain , his wife assumes just indigestion goes down stairs find him some Gaviscon time she gets back up hes gone Major Heart attack !!!

It has made me have serious life making decisions . And obviously was the final straw in making me decide to get away . Well apart from the Government here deliberately driving all us away of course , (which i am sure is part of some secret plan they have concocted to remove the English middle class ?? ) but thats a seperate issue all along.

At the moment i enjoy a super flash standard of living have a 6 bedroomed house in 5 acres of prime countryside with 2 lakes , and golf range etc etc.. Drive the Top Merc SL500 AMG full spec , Have the small boat , money well being honest what i want i buy when i want it ! , but have run out of buying as i have virtually everything you can get or i want anyways .
Some would say oh hes got it made ! whys he want to move ? Well apart from the Country which we all know about with the government taking the pee .

In having all the above takes very Hard Work !!! I work 6 days a week to keep the flash lifestyle and hardly ever have the weather to benefit from it all anyway..

This is the problem and i think its a British thing ? You get on this treadmill and have to out do the Joneses you know ?
When i sell will have no money worries but obviously a Severe cut in lifestyle will have to be made !! Could i handle that ? swap the Merc for the Fiesta ? Swap the house for a average 3 bedroom ? I think i will be ok but my wife reckons i will be bored out me skull and will hate it ?
And once i have done the sale of the business and stuff there is no turning back ..
Hence the question which should of read ;

Loads of money in England or less money but a retired life in Spain ..

so keep posting as its a hell of a predicament..
not sure I agree with you on the difficulties of the British middle class or on the labour gov, but you ought to make sure you check out the Spanish taxation system before you make your decision. Spain taxes you on your worldwide income once you are resident, it has lower tax-free amounts and has the wealth tax which, whilst a small percentage, taxes you on your overall assets, regardless of whether they make you any money (i.e. you can pay annual wealth tax on the value of your boat). There are plenty of posters who are quite expert on Spanish tax who can probably point you in the right direction.
Cape Blue is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:47 am
  #36  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

There are allowances / exemptions on the "wealth" tax rates though if you are a tax resident.

You dont pay anything on the first 108,102 euros of assets, nor do you pay on the first 150,253 of your principal residence. And of course if the place of residence is jointly owned (husband and wife) then this exemption is in effect doubled. Both names need to be on the title deed though.

Bear in mind if you "hide" assets and they are subsequently discovered then they will be treated as income
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2007, 11:23 am
  #37  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 3,327
Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
Good stuff guys and thanks for that . I know in my head i am making the right move and i am sure you can understand the little moments when you get the sudden panic "Am i making the right move ? syndrome" ,.

Regarding pensions nope never bothered believed the business would be run by the kids and that would be my pension , but kids not interested so that theory went out the window all my money is in the property and the business ..
Also always felt young and figured will get round to me pension later and then suddenly was old , no doubt you all know that feeling ? i feel another thread coming on lol "When did you suddenly switch from young to old ? )

I will find plenty to do and will look round for a new business to play with out there no doubt.
Its a viscous circle here can earn the money to get the toys in life have No Time or the weather to enjoy them !!

Hoping a compromise will be made when i move and while i am only Semi Old at 45 ..Is that to young to stop ? but what if i have a heart attack at 52 ?? 7 years ? If only we knew when we are going to die right ?
God no - you would then spend your life ticking off the days/weeks!
Chiclanagir is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:34 pm
  #38  
pjj
sun lover
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: hertfordshire
Posts: 362
pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Originally Posted by gallerie9 View Post
I knew I needed to get out of the rat race when my boss said to me
"Your job is your life"
I came out of the office thinking, did I hear that right ? My job is my life ?
I went home that night and said I think we should go for it now not wait a few years.
My job was not my life. I worked to live, not lived to work.
And give me the simple life any day, no stress no hastle.
Where we live the word is tranquil.
I didnt want to wake up one morning thinking is this what life is ?
We are having an experience, this is not a rehearsal this is the real thing.
Life is for living and now we are.
Fare play to you ! my job has been my life for the last 3 years im self employed in sales ive had no real time to my self working 6 long days a week very stressed out blood pressure going through the roof have been very unhappy always pushing my self for what ! to push my self in to a early grave at this rate ! every day is like GROUND HOG DAY here same shit different day not for long though , we are making move to spain only 4 months to go and we are off LOVE IT !
pjj is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:40 pm
  #39  
Popping in for a chat
 
Lionda's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Back home
Posts: 4,573
Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Originally Posted by pjj View Post
Fare play to you ! my job has been my life for the last 3 years im self employed in sales ive had no real time to my self working 6 long days a week very stressed out blood pressure going through the roof have been very unhappy always pushing my self for what ! to push my self in to a early grave at this rate ! every day is like GROUND HOG DAY here same shit different day not for long though , we are making move to spain only 4 months to go and we are off LOVE IT !

Which part of Spain are you moving to pjj ? Have you bought a place or will you be renting?
Lionda is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:31 pm
  #40  
Smarties
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Liverpool, soon to be Hondon De Las Nieves
Posts: 238
SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
Hoping a compromise will be made when i move and while i am only Semi Old at 45 ..Is that to young to stop ? but what if i have a heart attack at 52 ?? 7 years ? If only we knew when we are going to die right ?
Snap, 45 years old here as well. I think it comes down to individual character. Now me, I aint got a 10th of what you suggest you have but I have enough (I think) to at least give a move to spain a try. I will have a Fiesta (have one now, great car) and life might be a bit tough but you know bored at 45 has just got to be better in Spain than bored at 65 in UK. I will be relatively young still in Spain and will go in the direction my new life takes me.

You sound like your only problem is missing the cudos you think goes with your lifestyle in the UK. You probably get some jealous types in UK but I doubt very much people in Spain would give a dam. I think people in Spain have gone there because they want rest and relaxation. I doubt many are there to make millions. Not having a pop btw.
SmartiesUK is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:37 pm
  #41  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoping to get away from UK to Spain
Posts: 1,826
Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK View Post
Snap, 45 years old here as well. I think it comes down to individual character. Now me, I aint got a 10th of what you suggest you have but I have enough (I think) to at least give a move to spain a try. I will have a Fiesta (have one now, great car) and life might be a bit tough but you know bored at 45 has just got to be better in Spain than bored at 65 in UK. I will be relatively young still in Spain and will go in the direction my new life takes me.

You sound like your only problem is missing the cudos you think goes with your lifestyle in the UK. You probably get some jealous types in UK but I doubt very much people in Spain would give a dam. I think people in Spain have gone there because they want rest and relaxation. I doubt many are there to make millions. Not having a pop btw.
No pop taken Smarties , good reply , and yes the cudos bit is probably true a british thing i hope ! So i am more than content to down size and getting me head round it daily ,..

I didnt say my Dad died at 48 !! (Prostrate cancer) thats also a reason for doing it early ,, i shall switch off and enjoy life hopefully anyways ...
Big Pete is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2007, 8:29 am
  #42  
pjj
sun lover
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: hertfordshire
Posts: 362
pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

[QUOTE=Lionda;4394010]Which part of Spain are you moving to pjj ? Have you bought a place or will you be renting?[/QUOTE HI im moving to the costa tropical a lovely little place called la herrdura that stands for the horse shoe and that exactly what the bay looks like its stunning i brought a place off plan about 2half/3 years ago got keys last march 06 but sadly havent moved in yet ! work as been so hectic here ,ive only have had a few weeks out there hoildaying but no time to furnish it , sad really! but im making the move in roughly about 4months so everything will done then and i cant wait this is what we have worked so hard for !This my dream going to spain and has been my dream for many years ! im going to have some well earned time out for me and my girlfriend ! ive earned good money over the years but it aint been easy , ONE THING IVE LEARNED IS MONEY AINT EVERYTHING ID RATHER HAVE THE EASIER LIFE IN THE SUN THAN MONEY !
pjj is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:22 am
  #43  
Smarties
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Liverpool, soon to be Hondon De Las Nieves
Posts: 238
SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
I didnt say my Dad died at 48 !! (Prostrate cancer) thats also a reason for doing it early ,, i shall switch off and enjoy life hopefully anyways ...
Thats terrible Pete. I can guess what your dad would suggest you do no doubt about it. I think you already know the answer the to your original question Pete else why would you be here. I think you suspected what almost everyone here would say and thats "easier life in the sun"

What you need to do is either A: keep working in the UK to achieve your ultimate aim which is xxxxxx (probably to retire somewhere hot and sunny ) or B: cut and run and semi retire somewhere hot and sunny. You are in a position to do B today but you may, as you well know, never be in a position to do option A

I personally think given your obvious accumulated wealth you would get a buzz from stepping back and blending into the environment
SmartiesUK is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:40 am
  #44  
GCM
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Javea, Costa Blanca.
Posts: 225
GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Hi Pete

My point would be that it can be more stressful in Spain!

If money is tight and you are struggling to make ends meet then you will be stressed despite the lifestyle and sun.

I've noticed something else - people come here happy to do odd jobs pool cleaning etc - but after awhile they tire of this and compare the money to that of the UK even though they should compare to the cost of living in Spain!

Many young families are going back but then again many young families are making a go of it and are very happy. It is however very tough and people don't realise that when they think about the move. The TV shows just tend to show the lovely beaches etc. and so we all think it must be better over here.

Mark
GCM is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2007, 12:21 pm
  #45  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Hi Pete

My point would be that it can be more stressful in Spain!

If money is tight and you are struggling to make ends meet then you will be stressed despite the lifestyle and sun.

I've noticed something else - people come here happy to do odd jobs pool cleaning etc - but after awhile they tire of this and compare the money to that of the UK even though they should compare to the cost of living in Spain!

Many young families are going back but then again many young families are making a go of it and are very happy. It is however very tough and people don't realise that when they think about the move. The TV shows just tend to show the lovely beaches etc. and so we all think it must be better over here.

Mark
I would sooner be stressed in the sun than stressed in the rain. ;-)
jdr is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.