British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Money or Easier life in the Sun ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/money-easier-life-sun-425699/)

Big Pete Feb 10th 2007 9:41 pm

Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Just a question that has relevance no doubt to thousands of Brits in the do i take the gamble or not ?

Perhaps a few have already chosen to give up the 50 hour working week in Britain and the safe security of the comfortable job , in order to quit the rat race and have a life in the sun , and or a life with the family .

This may be in a lower quality home , and for a more mediocre job and the such like .

Views as to is Making money most important or easier stress free life in the sun best ? would be good to hear views and even any true life stories ..

crispy Feb 11th 2007 12:17 am

Re: Money or Easier life in the Sun ?

Originally Posted by Big Pete (Post 4388018)
Just a question that has relevance no doubt to thousands of Brits in the do i take the gamble or not ?

Perhaps a few have already chosen to give up the 50 hour working week in Britain and the safe security of the comfortable job , in order to quit the rat race and have a life in the sun , and or a life with the family .

This may be in a lower quality home , and for a more mediocre job and the such like .

Views as to is Making money most important or easier stress free life in the sun best ? would be good to hear views and even any true life stories ..

OH and I took early retirement, OH was 60 and I was 52, we left in my opinion well paid jobs, worked shifts with early starts, very often left home at 5.30 retuning home somewhere between 5pm - 10pm. We lived in a nice house in a nice area and believe it or not we ate out most days, (had years of cooking and being there for the children), We had holidays 3, 4 times a year. Sold up moved out here, we have a nice house, in a nice area and a swimming pool, and we live on 1,000 euros a month. That's it nothing else, we have to watch most of our pennies (or would that be cents) as we run a car and all other household bills but we still go out most days for a coffee and sherry and eat out at least once a week and have a very good diet of meat, fish, fruit and veg.

We would not change this for the world, we know we could do some form of work if we needed to but we would rather live on a much reduced income and enjoy our time together. What I have learnt since leaving work is "do we really need what we think we need or is it just a case of wanting what we think we should have". We are very lucky as we have got older having material things seems so much less important for us our health and happiness together is what matters now. Don't think I would ever go back to working and living in UK and once we get our state pensions, well, we will be millionaires!! living the life of riley.

Hillybilly Feb 11th 2007 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Big Pete (Post 4388018)
Views as to is Making money most important or easier stress free life in the sun best?

Well, don't assume that life here is easier and/or stress free! Certainly at the outset it can be quite the opposite. Though the sunshine does more than make up for it. But, then again, it's not ALWAYS sunny either. In fact right now the weather is pretty grim!

crispy Feb 11th 2007 12:56 am

I think if you are intending to work here in Spain and rely on that income alone to support yourself and your family you should really do your home work before committing yourself. Work in this area is very hard to come by, and if you have the added problem of not speaking the language then you will still have the stress and worries. My way of thinking is the peeps who are making ends meet are either retired with a private income or younger peeps who have a trade that is in demand in the area. We are being flooded here with builders at the moment so I think for any one considering the move they should explore what types of jobs are in demand and even consider retraining because if you are office based I don't think you stand a hope in hell of getting work, most peeps I know that are surviving work for themselves mainly from home or doing more than one job to make ends meet. I would love my kids to come out here and one or two of them want too, but realistically we know it would be tough for them to make a go of it even with our help.

SmartiesUK Feb 11th 2007 8:40 am

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4388496)
we live on 1,000 euros a month. That's it nothing else, we have to watch most of our pennies (or would that be cents) as we run a car and all other household bills but we still go out most days for a coffee and sherry and eat out at least once a week and have a very good diet of meat, fish, fruit and veg.

Crispygirl. I assume you have private medical cover and this is already deducted from your monthly 1,000 euros? What is actually left to pay for out of that 1,000 euros exactly it cannot be everything can it ie electricity, Gas, car tax and insurance and all your food and drink can it :blink:

Cheers

maryann Feb 11th 2007 9:14 am

This is a hard question to answer because once you leave the UK your persective changes and it becomes very easy to see how dictated to everyone feels in the UK. But because it works on drip feed you dont notice. I cant compare the life style here to the UK. Its not just about the sun, its about the life stlye. You do need to think very carefully about everything that will change if you move. Not just the obvious, ( work, money house etc). The total change of lifestlye has to be right for you or you will not be happy.
Out here material things mean nothing. No one cares what you drive, what you earn, how much your house is worth etc, that is a very UK thing. It is easier to get to know peoples personaility cos you dont need to wad through the c*** to get to know them.
This nation does not ask for much and are very happy with very little. Family is all important to this nation, and children are the centre, in a healthy way.
This is a young nation in development and they dont understand stress.
Good luck with your choice, i hope you make the right one for you.

I also think money is a big deal in the UK as some form of realise valve for stress, no stres here, therefore not so much money needed.
love

mary x

ScotinSpain Feb 11th 2007 9:16 am

Hi Smarties, the subject of the cost of living out here in Spain is covered regularly on this, and other, Expat Forums (Ugh!), and 1000 Euros a month for a couple is about average, some a little more, some a little less. My partner and I work on about 1200 Euros a month, but that included a little extra saved for holidays.

These figures include private medical insurance, all utility bills, car costs, phone inc ADSL, food etc. However we do visit Gibraltar for ciggies, booze and diesel every few weeks (these are the only true duty free perks in Gib!).

It is possible to live very reasonably here, even on the costa, if you are sensible and don't behave like tourists; many of the Spanish live on a net income of 800 Euros a month, and they live very well on that.

Don't believe the dribble in the UK press............

poollounger Feb 11th 2007 9:51 am

Good posts Crispygirl and Maryann. I think that it isn't always about giving up a more materialistic lifestyle, but about letting go. Long hours, the rat race are stresssful in Britain, but if one has worked until one's 40s/50s to have a career which still has some mileage in it, to walk away from it can be difficult. That's why they say after the shock of redundancy some people feel liberated.
I think there is an interesting follow on thread to be started, following on from posts on other threads. The one about still having 'itchy feet' and wondering if there is some where other than Spain that could be more fulfilling. Is this because the posters are not aligned with Spain, or is it because they are misaligned somewhere within themselves???

SmartiesUK Feb 11th 2007 10:17 am

[QUOTE=ScotinSpain;4389340]Hi Smarties, the subject of the cost of living out here in Spain is covered regularly on this, and other, Expat Forums (Ugh!), and 1000 Euros a month for a couple is about average, some a little more, some a little less. My partner and I work on about 1200 Euros a month, but that included a little extra saved for holidays./QUOTE]

And thats about what I will get every month from my forces pension. :thumbup: What a good thread this is. I am leaving the UK because I feel I am now in a position to do so in terms of it being financially viable for one and getting away from this country (rapidly dying a death I think) at a relatively early age for another. I personally think once you are in a secure financial position then why work to make even more money in the UK. You may retire to Spain 10 years from now and move near me into a 5 bedroom detached house versus my two bedrooms but I will have lived the life for 10 years before you came here :p and thats assuming you remain fit and healthy :thumbup:

Lionda Feb 11th 2007 10:20 am

Stress free........oh the luxury!

crispy Feb 11th 2007 10:57 am

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK (Post 4389240)
Crispygirl. I assume you have private medical cover and this is already deducted from your monthly 1,000 euros? What is actually left to pay for out of that 1,000 euros exactly it cannot be everything can it ie electricity, Gas, car tax and insurance and all your food and drink can it :blink:

Cheers

You name it and it comes out of our 1,000 euros, except for rent as we paid for the house in cash (had a flat that we sold to buy house here in Spain) as for medical insurance at the moment we are members of a private clinic and for a fee we receive front line health care, any treatment is paid for as we need it, so far been quite lucky re health; in 18 months we have paid out about 100 euros but we know we must look for health care soon and this is a bit of a worry as it will have to come out of the 1,000.

There is only the two of us here and I have to say we do find it a struggle, we often rob Peter to pay Paul, I am a very good cook and can make our shopping go a long way, so that is an added bonus. We had capital when we arrived here but that has been eaten up with cosy comforts for the house and garden. We do however have savings invested that we can call upon if needed (try not to as we still have a few years to go) we try and cut the coat to fit the clothe not the clothe to the coat. We are very happy and enjoy each others company so much and we have learnt to adapt.

maryann Feb 11th 2007 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4389574)
You name it and it comes out of our 1,000 euros, except for rent as we paid for the house in cash (had a flat that we sold to buy house here in Spain) as for medical insurance at the moment we are members of a private clinic and for a fee we receive front line health care, any treatment is paid for as we need it, so far been quite lucky re health; in 18 months we have paid out about 100 euros but we know we must look for health care soon and this is a bit of a worry as it will have to come out of the 1,000.

There is only the two of us here and I have to say we do find it a struggle, we often rob Peter to pay Paul, I am a very good cook and can make our shopping go a long way, so that is an added bonus. We had capital when we arrived here but that has been eaten up with cosy comforts for the house and garden. We do however have savings invested that we can call upon if needed (try not to as we still have a few years to go) we try and cut the coat to fit the clothe not the clothe to the coat. We are very happy and enjoy each others company so much and we have learnt to adapt.

I think thats the key isn't ot, if you enjoy each others company entertainment is cheap, my children are the best fir this, they have us wetting our selves, my little boy is a total riot, and my daughter makes me wet myself.
I worry i dont tell them off enough, but they are quite well behaved. And my hubby and i actually have time to talk to each other.

poollounger Feb 11th 2007 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lionda (Post 4389509)
Stress free........oh the luxury!

Lionda we need a certain degree of stress to survive....it's only when we are stiff in our boxes that we are totally stress free!!!

crispy Feb 11th 2007 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by maryann (Post 4389780)
I think thats the key isn't ot, if you enjoy each others company entertainment is cheap, my children are the best fir this, they have us wetting our selves, my little boy is a total riot, and my daughter makes me wet myself.
I worry i dont tell them off enough, but they are quite well behaved. And my hubby and i actually have time to talk to each other.

Hey Mary carry on enjoying the kids, they grow up so quickly, OH and I have always put the family before such thing as - god forbid HOUSEWORK! even now we get up with good intentions but then we just look at each other have a hug and get in the car and go off somewhere. Except for to day he has weeded the much over due garden and I have cleaned the bathrooms. Are you still in pj's, I am. Just been in to the shower room was it worth cleaning , no OH has washed his hands and left a tide mark round the sink. I give up. Enjoy the rest of you day.

By the way when our grand kids come out they make us laugh so much, yesterday our 8 year old grandson went to his first football match (his dad is a Chelsea fan, I say no more) before he went his mum said, "if you get lost just go to a policeman or a steward, tell them your name and they will put a sign up on the big screen for daddy". His reply was " I can't go now, I will get lost and for the life of me I will not be able to talk to a policeman" (he can be quite a drama queen). It took her ages to convince him he won't get lost, when he arrived home he was so full of his day and at the very end with very little breath left he said "and I did all this without getting lost".

Sorry going on a bit here, but just remember when our Boo was 3 and she was trying to catch her granddad attention, he was talking to me, she stood in front of him and wagged her finger and said "SHUT IT, ZIP IT, PUT IT IN YOUR POCKET" she was doing the actions as she said it. Well, laugh I had to leave the room, where she got that from we just didn't know, later her mum said the teacher says it at school when she wants them to be quite.

crispy Feb 11th 2007 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by poollounger (Post 4389804)
Lionda we need a certain degree of stress to survive....it's only when we are stiff in our boxes that we are totally stress free!!!

Have to agree poollounger, I function better with a little stress, Often I remember the pressure and stress factor of my job, I thrived on it, Made me ill more than once but if asked in honesty I do miss it sometimes.