Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

mobilility help at airports

mobilility help at airports

Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:12 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default mobilility help at airports

I have to make a trip to the UK alone in a few days. I have mobility problems - I don't use a wheelchair but can't walk far, so I was worried about how I was going to manage.

I found this aena - help for passengers with reduced mobility

& thought other people might find the link useful
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:52 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mobilility help at airports

lynnxa my friend´s mother who can walk only a little way uses the services that they have at the aiport where they take you to the gate on the back of the little truck. I´m sorry but I don´t know how you would organise that, perhaps when you book your ticket with the airline, they´ll have an area that asks about mobility.

Sorry I can´t be of much more help. Good luck
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, very helpful, was looking into this for my Mum when she comes over later this year. Hope your trip goes well
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
Thank you, very helpful, was looking into this for my Mum when she comes over later this year. Hope your trip goes well
Originally Posted by jjh
lynnxa my friend´s mother who can walk only a little way uses the services that they have at the aiport where they take you to the gate on the back of the little truck. I´m sorry but I don´t know how you would organise that, perhaps when you book your ticket with the airline, they´ll have an area that asks about mobility.

Sorry I can´t be of much more help. Good luck
the link makes it look very easy to organise - there's an online form & you apparently just ring a bell at a meeting point when you get there

I'll post about it again after I get back, so you can see how well - or otherwise - it works
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

When I book Mother's flights (she is in a wheelchair) usually with Easyjet I tell them on the form when I book and when she is booked in they organise the people at the airport - they have been marvellous
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
When I book Mother's flights (she is in a wheelchair) usually with Easyjet I tell them on the form when I book and when she is booked in they organise the people at the airport - they have been marvellous
I'd second that. Only know about Malaga & they're really nice & friendly (or were, haven't had to deal since the new terminal opened!) & EasyJet website system works fine.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:45 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by SueG
Originally Posted by fionamw
I'd second that. Only know about Malaga & they're really nice & friendly (or were, haven't had to deal since the new terminal opened!) & EasyJet website system works fine.
that is good to know

I can't actually see anywhere on the Easyjet booking form though to do organise it
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnxa
that is good to know

I can't actually see anywhere on the Easyjet booking form though to do organise it
It asks you @ the bottom of the booking page if & what kind of assistance you require.
I have used the service several times from Stanstead/Gatwick-Faro for my father & he rates the service provided @ all these airports.
Obviously the care & attention provided is down the airport services,but Easyjet do provide a clear & through booking procedure for assistance
I looked @ Ryanair for him once & it looked a drama
Old May 7th 2010, 9:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

I went with Monarch in the end

requested help through their website, but despite many attempts at phoning & emails got no reply

when we got to Alicante, just pressed the help button outside & was whizzed through by an attendant - who even took me to get some money changed & left me near enough to a bar that I could toddle off & get some lunch

everything was organised & an attendant was waiting at Luton - whizzed through again to my lift outside the airport

all this even though Monarch had no record of my request - even though I showed them my e mails to them

return from Luton

rang the call button again & was collected

whizzed through check-in which hadn't even opened

Monarch had no forms at the desk for wheelchair assistance

was again whizzed through everything - then left with all other mobility assisted peeps in a special area - not sure I liked that, but it was near a good bagel & coffee bar

on arrival at Alicante we all (6 of us & 2 'companions') had to wait for ages on the plane while the lift came to get us off

they hadn't been told to expect us

the lady operating the lift started to do the paperwork (which should have been done at Luton) & order 8 chairs & attendants

luckily I realised what she was doing & could translate for everyone else exactly what we needed - the 'chair pushers' all seem to speak English, but she didn't)

chatting to the attendants at both ends it seems Monarch are notorious for not ordering assistance in advance or doing the required paperwork for it
Old May 11th 2010, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Fredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the rough

Can only speak for Manchester Airport, as I once assisted people there. (A chair pusher ! LOL)
You should have no problems with the company supplying the service, if you ever have to use this Airport.
We also used to arrange to meet passengers anywhere they liked 'Airside', as long as it was clearly understood by both parties, approximately where they would be, at boarding time.
(ie No 'special' areas).
The 'Ambulift', or any other means of alighting an aircraft, is clearly the responsibility of the Airline to ensure the Airport knows that wheelchair assistance is required, so they can have it on 'Stand'.
Hope that Monarch 'bucks it's ideas up a bit' !

Cheers
Fredthered

Last edited by Fredthered; May 11th 2010 at 11:16 am.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

neilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really nice

The service at Malaga and Birmingham is superb. !!!!!!!!