Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mobile telephone deals

Mobile telephone deals

Old May 18th 2020, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Yorkshire Princess is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Mobile telephone deals

I am looking for a SIM only mobile phone deal on a pay as you go basis, mainly for internal calls in Spain.
I have spent hours researching and am fast losing the will to live.
Does anyone have any recommendations or "avoid like the plague" type of advice? None of them seem to get good reviews.
On an earlier post on this forum someone suggested trying Lycamobile.

Thanks, Gracias etc.
Old May 18th 2020, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile telephone deals

I've had various SIMs over the years. The only one I wouldn't go back to is LlamaYa.

When I moved to Spain I went to a shop that sold a variety of SIMs and asked them which I should get.
Old May 18th 2020, 6:40 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Telefonica works for me. Where are you? Ask your friends and neighbours which ISP has best reception in your area.
Old May 19th 2020, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the post. I'll take a look.
Old May 19th 2020, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lagoo
I've had various SIMs over the years. The only one I wouldn't go back to is LlamaYa.

When I moved to Spain I went to a shop that sold a variety of SIMs and asked them which I should get.
Thanks for your post. I know where there is one where I live.

YP.
Old May 19th 2020, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I would start with checking which provider gives the best signal where you are. You can check that using your phone or asking locally. Remember that main providers orange, Vodafone etc provide the actual signal but smaller providers use specific providers for their signal often at lower cost. For instance Hits an Independent company actually use Vodafone to provide the signal, más móvil use Orange etc. Once you know signal Informatikn check packages that provide what you need is it simply mobile and text or mobile text and data for Internet etc. I use Hits myself app is in English easy to speak with an English speaking assistant in case of assistance etc and relatively cheap phone calls which I rarely make via mobile. Your credit does have to be topped up every 3 months but there is an option to pay a few euros so that your credit lasts 12 months useful if you rarely make phone calls.
Old May 19th 2020, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
I would start with checking which provider gives the best signal where you are. You can check that using your phone or asking locally. Remember that main providers orange, Vodafone etc provide the actual signal but smaller providers use specific providers for their signal often at lower cost. For instance Hits an Independent company actually use Vodafone to provide the signal, más móvil use Orange etc. Once you know signal Informatikn check packages that provide what you need is it simply mobile and text or mobile text and data for Internet etc. I use Hits myself app is in English easy to speak with an English speaking assistant in case of assistance etc and relatively cheap phone calls which I rarely make via mobile. Your credit does have to be topped up every 3 months but there is an option to pay a few euros so that your credit lasts 12 months useful if you rarely make phone calls.
I presume you mean that in some parts of Spain the signal strength is bad because of the geography of where you live.
Or are they all generally terrible? I spoke to someone last week and it sounded like they were trying to talk through a pillow and that was a national call.

Old May 19th 2020, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

No it's just like UK some areas get better signal dependant on variety of reasons. Also whether you use 3 or 4 G can make a difference.
Old May 19th 2020, 1:59 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

…….… and which provider you choose. I determined Telefonica gave better coverage in my local. Some of the cheaper networks give very poor coverage.
Old May 19th 2020, 3:15 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Princess
I am looking for a SIM only mobile phone deal on a pay as you go basis, mainly for internal calls in Spain.
I have spent hours researching and am fast losing the will to live.
Does anyone have any recommendations or "avoid like the plague" type of advice? None of them seem to get good reviews.
On an earlier post on this forum someone suggested trying Lycamobile.

Thanks, Gracias etc.

I use SUOP which is on the Orange network (ISTR). Certainly one of the cheapest and best (in my experience).

Well worth taking a look.
Old May 23rd 2020, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137 

Hi,

Pepephone use Movistar/Telefonica network. Get the SIM in any telco shop that works with them. 25 GB a month and what you don't use is added to next month's data. They don't arbitrarily change your tariff - stays same from day one. Unlimited calls to mobiles and landlines in Spain. Works well in this area (rural) where Vodafone has minimal cover outside the larger villages. AFAIK no lengthy commitment required, you can leave after a month, two, three, whatever. €19,90 a month (including or not including IVA? Not sure about that aspect...)
Old May 24th 2020, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.expatica.com/es/living/h...-card-1019515/

This gives a very comprehensive guide