Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mobile phones and spanish sim cards

Mobile phones and spanish sim cards

Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

grandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the roughgrandscenic010 is a jewel in the rough
Default Mobile phones and spanish sim cards

Can anyone offer any advice on a cheap/competitive spanish sim card to purchase to use whilst we are living in spain, bearing in mind we will have to ring the u.k. a couple of times a week to keep in touch with family and friends. I have some information on a sim card called '0044', they say it is very reasonable and cheap call rates, does anyone have any experience of this one - or can anyone recommend a reasonably priced one ?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mobile phones and spanish sim cards

I havent heard of 0044. But there are alot of those cheap line companies here. We use Gotel/teleconnect for our landline and could probably use it on our mobiles to but there are lots of others. If you have a spare phone which is free, you can buy just a sim card for about 20 euros which includes about 17 euros of calls or something like that. Thats with Movistar, but there is also Amena and Vodafone here. I got caught out, I thought I was getting a good deal at 7cents per minute, but you still have to pay connection charge here, which on my tariff is about 25 cents. So the bills do add up.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:21 pm
scot chick

scot chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grandscenic010
Can anyone offer any advice on a cheap/competitive spanish sim card to purchase to use whilst we are living in spain, bearing in mind we will have to ring the u.k. a couple of times a week to keep in touch with family and friends. I have some information on a sim card called '0044', they say it is very reasonable and cheap call rates, does anyone have any experience of this one - or can anyone recommend a reasonably priced one ?
we bought a movie star sim card for 25 euros and put it into my uk phone ( make sure your phone is unlocked or it wont work ) included in that you get 19 euros free calls and you can buy top ups for 10 or 20 euros when you need them . the alternative is to buy a euro direct card for 6 euros and you get aprox 100 mins from a phone box or 800 mins from a land line . hope this helps you
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Hi Scot Chick,
I havent heard of a euro debit card..where do you get that from? From a landline can you call local and international numbers?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:50 pm
scot chick

scot chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by j0197
Hi Scot Chick,
I havent heard of a euro debit card..where do you get that from? From a landline can you call local and international numbers?
hi its called a euro direct card and you can buy them from most english supermarkets and from most of the internet cafes you can use them from a landline to phone the uk and youget about 800 mins they are brill if you want to use them to phone a mobile in the uk you get apprx 60 mins which is great value for money they can be a pain as you have to type in the code on the card then the pin number then the uk number but they are well woth the money . hope this helps you
Old Oct 28th 2005, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Hi
Well you can buy sim cards from any phone shop or Carrifore supermarket, the Big stores have them near the entrance and prices can variy from 10 to 60 euros depending on how much credit you want on your phone.

Your mobile phone must be sim free (not contract) and you can chose any network here in Spian.

You can also buy cridit type cards "Euro Direct" to name just ONE, for around 6 euros, you can use these on both public, private, and mobile phones you can get around 250 mins for 6€ (euros) you can buy these from just about anywhere even Tabacs have them nowadays.